Tubular Repair

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Zoro

by Zoro

Zoro wrote:Silk are always better given the choice - except in water.
Quoting myself...
I just ordered a new silk set without the Latex and light tread. I figured, if it rains they are the wrong Tyre anyway.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Sorry, but I do not quite follow what it is you just bought. Care to clarify a little?

TIA, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zoro

by Zoro

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

Sorry, but I do not quite follow what it is you just bought. Care to clarify a little?

TIA, ;)

FMB is making me 25mm with no latex on the sidewalls, and the record tread (vs the heavier Vittoria tread on the cx) that I plan to pick up from François in 3 weeks.

My "issue" has been that there are no very light tyres for 25mm wide rims. I was using the Veloflex Records with great success, but on narrow rims. We changed to these Mercury M5 wheels that we love, except for tyre selection. They require wider tyres. Others do use 21-23mm tires - that is just wrong. Anyway after using the FMB competition cx 25 for a bit, I thought that they were a wee heavy for USA / Southern California and Arizona riding were we don't ride in the rain, and race roads are generally good. Still, we have been unlucky with flats (post race), but so far nothing that has cost any result. I "believe" these will be among the lightest 25mm tyres out there.
So...I am getting a custom set made that fits the racing my kid does. As he is racing in the EU next month I thought I'd drop by and visit FMB.

I will post pictures / what I can later.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I'm looking to expand my bike mech skills with tubular repair ones this year. Got two or three punctured Conti tubs around. At least one of them has had an unsuccessful injection of Pitstop. Now my question is, can I just try to spot the puncture and patch it for starters, or do I need to replace the tube, which would mean much more sewing. Thanks.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I just try to spot the puncture and patch it for starters,

Yes.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

fdegrove, sorry if my question was unclear, does that apply to the Pitstop'd one too? Does stale Pitstop not ruin a tube, like other sealants?

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

No idea how much of this Pitstop went in but if it didn't cure the problem (it often does not) then you either patch the leak or if the leak is too large you replace the inner tube.
Which doe not require all that much sewing really.
Either way, having some liquid latex in the inner tube may lead to other problems afterwards....

Ciao, ;)

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Thanks fdegrove. Yeah the Pitstop didn't do it. Pinch-flatted a Conti TT tub on a rock, probably not the best idea to use it in the first place. Lots of sealant came back out at the base tape. Will try one of the others first and hope for a smaller defect. Velox patch kit on the way!

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff

by Geoff

Dugast silks are very nice...

jtsoderman

by jtsoderman

I've got a perfectly good tubular tire that I had to pull off to get some spokes replaced after a crash. Unfortunately the base tape shredded in the process. I've read about the technique of replacement but I have a few questions (apologies if these have been asked previously, my search skills are not ninja level)

1. Is barge cement the same thing as 'shoe goo'? I seem to remember seeing that stated somewhere, and I think that stuff might be easier to find

2. What would you use to replace the whole base tape? something like a velox fond de jante strip that you would use for a clincher?

If this turns into too much of a project...the answer might just be tire alert :cry:

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

If this turns into too much of a project...the answer might just be tire alert :cry:

I don't master this myself yet.
A small strip of the base tape that needs to be put back on is easy enough (I use liquid latex for that which can be found in most art shops) but doing the entire base tape in one go and having it aligned properly is not easy at all.

It may turn out easier to go by say 30 cm a go if you still have a decent visual clue of where it should go.

Barge cement is shoemaker sole cement so I suppose this "shoe goo" is similar enough.

Then yes, there's always Tyre Alert. That what I'd do if the tyre is relatively fresh.

Ciao, ;)

atakaoka

by atakaoka

I changed 1 tire base tape once whith this.

http://www.zefal.com/en/prevent/84-fond ... coton.html

in 22mm.
cycling,a great individual sport,were you can't reach anything,whithout group effort.

Geoff

by Geoff

Isn't that a rim strip? How did you get it to stick to the tire? I think I would be a bit concerned about how well the finished tire would bond to the rim with the close weave and fabric choice used for a rim strip.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

atakaoka

by atakaoka

yes it is.to glue I use a good contact glue.It work very well.
cycling,a great individual sport,were you can't reach anything,whithout group effort.