Dura Ace 9000 11 speed cassette- rubish product design

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

goodboyr wrote:Nope. Its got a carbon carrier too. Theres a picture of it on one of the previous pages of this thread

4-5th rings are on carbon correct?

First three of the biggest are on aluminum?

dmoneysworks

by dmoneysworks

Correct - 4th & 5th rings sit on a carbon carrier but in the field to date I've not seen one break (yet)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

goodboyr

by goodboyr

dmoneysworks wrote:Correct - 4th & 5th rings sit on a carbon carrier but in the field to date I've not seen one break (yet)

True. I've got one Ultegra and one Dura Ace, and neither have broken on me yet.............

LoggingMiles

by LoggingMiles

Those of you having noisy cassette issues...Would you describe it as creaky? Or clicking? I have a clicking I am trying to help a teammate diagnose.

Only happens when out of the saddle. We have ruled out the cleats and pedals. It could be the Praxis conversion BB but seems to be coming a bit more from the rear of the bike. Seems to happen more often when in the gears on the carbon carrier. It is not really a creak, but more of a click once per pedal revolution.

dmoneysworks

by dmoneysworks

Remove the cassette and inspect it!

LoggingMiles

by LoggingMiles

dmoneysworks wrote:Remove the cassette and inspect it!

We did, it is not cracked. And the lockring is torqued to 40nm.

dha

by dha

LoggingMiles wrote:Those of you having noisy cassette issues...Would you describe it as creaky? Or clicking? I have a clicking I am trying to help a teammate diagnose.

Only happens when out of the saddle. We have ruled out the cleats and pedals. It could be the Praxis conversion BB but seems to be coming a bit more from the rear of the bike. Seems to happen more often when in the gears on the carbon carrier. It is not really a creak, but more of a click once per pedal revolution.

I sometimes get a click per revolution. Running 9000 cassette and a praxis BB as well. I assume it is just dirt due to winter riding at the moment as it does seem to be less obvious when the bike has been washed.

boots2000

by boots2000

I broke my 9000 cassette today. It was an 11-28. The 23 and 25 came off and smashed up against the 28.
So I could not use the 25,23, and 21.
Good thing I was not climbing.

durianrider

by durianrider

I hearing riders due for a new cassette are putting the chain in the easiest gear and stopping off the lights from a dead start to crack the carbon carrier and then claim warranty. I think shimano will learn from this mistake as its losing them $ for sure.
My YT channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/durianriders?feature=mhee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Follow me on Strava
http://app.strava.com/athletes/254600

petal666

by petal666

Those guys must be idiots because it isn't the top spider that breaks.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

So what's the solution here guys? Does Ultegra have the same issues as the DA Cassette? If so is a SRAM 1170 (or 1190 if you can afford it) the best/only alternative?
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

petal666

by petal666

I've not heard of broken 6800 yet. The carbon spider is much beefier.

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

bikewithnoname wrote:So what's the solution here guys? Does Ultegra have the same issues as the DA Cassette? If so is a SRAM 1170 (or 1190 if you can afford it) the best/only alternative?

I am riding my 6800 cassette (25-11) for 1000km or something.
I had creaking noise in the beginning, on my first ride.
It was only when I am standing and climbing hard.

It was really annoying, since I was passing next to a bus stop full of people waiting, on the climb, and my expensive carbon bike was squeezing like a supermarket bike...

After that, I came home and tightened cassette a bit more and also BB.

Since then, I didn't have problems.
I don't have a torque wrench, so I don't know about the tension now, but maybe 40nm written on the cap is not enough and you need to overtight the cap.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

durianrider wrote:I hearing riders due for a new cassette are putting the chain in the easiest gear and stopping off the lights from a dead start to crack the carbon carrier and then claim warranty. I think shimano will learn from this mistake as its losing them $ for sure.

Right. Break a perfectly good cassette to get another perfectly good cassette with the same design since nothing has changed. "Durianrider".............. He's back!

eric

by eric

Don't feed the troll.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com