Tackling headwind during base training

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Omiar

by Omiar

How do you tackle strong headwind during your spring base training? We have flat landscape, a lot of open fields and a lot of wind in spring.
By "a lot" I mean going 23km/h and barely able to keep the HR below 150. Once there is tailwind, you can push 33km/h with a HR of 138 and up to 38km/h with 145-148 HR.
Should I keep my HR in the correct zone and do intervals when the race season is approaching - or keep the speed reasonable so I don't develop the so-called "speed barrier".
I know group riding would make that question obsolete, but my daily schuledule is floating all the time, so I can't join others.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Illuminate

by Illuminate

You should train in you HR zones. If that means popping it in an easier gear and going slow to bring down the HR and bring up the cadence, so be it. Time spent in specified hr zones (and cadence) is what's important - not speed.

Speed barrier - no such thing. Stick to your program (assuming that it's well thought out, progressive and measurable).

Cheers :)

eric

by eric

Treat the wind like you'd do climbs. Shift down to the gear that has you working at your desired intensity when you're riding into the wind, and shift up when you have a tailwind.

If you have a programmable computer like a Garmin 500 consider setting the screens to not show speed so you're not tempted to match speed instead of intended effort.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I live in much the same type of environment (which would explain all the windmills) - 20-30mph (30-50kp/h) winds are nothing out of the ordinary here for afternoon rides. I prefer to keep my heartrate and power consistent within my training program, rather than worry about the speed. Once you hit a tailwind, it becomes a bit of an equalizer in terms of average speed (although the wind never helps as much as it hurts).

JimV

by JimV

That's what the 34-25 is for. Go for as long as you can until your brain turns to mush, flip and enjoy the fun going home.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

There's a lady here where I ride that will only ride with a tailwind. She calls her husband to pick her up when she's "tired". Then she brags about her 80 mile ride, averaging 22mph!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

emorydptt

by emorydptt

As they say... Tailwinds don't make up for the headwinds!
be Khoi, be Khang!
-2014 Cipollini Bond EPS | 2017 enigma echo SR11 | 2011 Time RXR ULTeam SR11 | 2010 Colnago EPS SR11 | 2013 Colnago C59 SR-EPS | 2011 Colnago Prestige Di2 | 2013 Specialized Shiv TT SWorks SR11