Old tubular help

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

natefontaine

by natefontaine

A friend is going to sell me a pair of old continental competitions 240g. Incant find any info on them, but they look old and never been glued. What's a good price u should give them.Image

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Had about a dozen of those (for free).
These pre-date the special liquid crystal Kevlar anti-puncture belt (forgot the name).
I had a flat on every single ride I used them. Granted it was late November and the roads were in very bad condition but I'm sure it won't have happened with either the newer Comps nor the Veloflex Carbons though.

IOW, I wouldn't spend my money on them.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

RussellS

by RussellS

Can't help much with a price recommendation. But I doubt the current Continental Competition tubular tires are much different than the old ones. Different color, yes. Maybe slightly different rubber is used now. But tube and casing are the same new or old tires. Same factory in Germany making the new also made the old tires. So look at the new tires and get a price from them. They go for $103 at BikeTiresDirect.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

But I doubt the current Continental Competition tubular tires are much different than the old ones.

The only things that remained the same are the casing and the butyl inner tube really. No Vectran, no Black Chili compound.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

natefontaine

by natefontaine

Turns out that it was a 650, thanks for the advice

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

victorduraace

by victorduraace

Just sell them to lo-pro fixed riders. They will make good use out of them. Aging them stretched on the rim is known to improve their ride and flat resistance as well...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com