LOOK 695 components to finish the build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

slick1

by slick1

G’day all.
Well. After many many years of adoring LOOK bikes, I finally bought a LOOK 695 and am in the process of buying the components for it.

I’ll be putting Campag Super Record 11 speed (Mechanical Group Set) on it and Enve 6.7 wheels with White Industry hubs and DT SWISS Aerolight spokes . The only thing I haven’t decided on is the Saddle and handlebars. Any recommendations for them? I know it’s not the lightest bike out there but I still want to have fairly light components on it.

Not only do I need opinions and recommendations, I need some guidance on the front derailleur and the rear derailleur. O.k, Here it goes.

Front Derailleur – The bike has a bracket riveted to the frame but when I look online, there are 3 options to buy. Brazed-on, CT Clip 32, CT Clip 35. I would say I need to buy the brazed-on but not 100% sure.

Rear Derailleur – from what I understand, there are 3 sizes available. Small, Medium, Large. The rear size cassette I will more than likely use is an 11-25 most of the time. The other size I’ll be using is an 11-27 so the rear derailleur will also need to accommodate the 11-27.

Front Chainrings – Seeing as thought the bike comes with the ZED2 cranks, the only thing I need to buy for them is the front chainrings. I will be using 39/52. I was going to buy the Campag Chainrings but am also considering others based on your recommendations.

Finally, the handlebars. I was looking to buy the 3T Ergonova. Thoughts on these bars, Stiffness, weight etc??

Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks again

Wcl4

by Wcl4

Congrats on the 695! It uses a braze on front. Look has a set of rings made by Praxis that fits perfectly with the zed crankset. I run 11-27 on the rear and find that to be a flexible range. 3t ergonova will work great, especially if you like that shape. You should find a saddle shape that works for you, but I like lower profile seats like the selle italia slr or the arione. Both look great on the bike. Good luck!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

slick1

by slick1

Thanks for the reply. I can now order the front derailleur.

I was considering the LOOK front chainrings but I really like the look of the campag ones.

Do you know what size your rear derailleur is?

Wcl4

by Wcl4

I didn't order anything special when getting it so I assume it's a medium or short cage if that even exists with campy. I have a lot of different groupsets and have used campy on this bike as well even though the picture shows sram.

As for the rings, because the zed cranks have two holes to accommodate compact and standard, any set of rings is going to look "off centered" to the spider. The praxis rings are the only design that takes that into account which is why I ended up with those. I'm not trying to push those, just letting you know. The campy rings won't work on the zed because the bcd is slightly different. TA specialties makes a similar gray color that will work.

slick1

by slick1

Thanks for your reply and information Wcl4.

I checked out the 2 brands of chainrings and I think I like the traditional chainring (Clover type)

I think I like these ones but not too keen on the black teeth. I like the aluminium/silver colour on the teeth.

http://praxiscycles.com/product/standard-road-sets/

These also look good but I think I prefer the original clover style. From what i'm reading, these are the only ones I can use from the company below?

http://www.specialites-ta.com/plateau-zenith.html

Cheers

Wcl4

by Wcl4

Just look on ebay for look zed chainrings. The praxis ones are look branded and are not on their website. I see stronglight also makes some zed chainrings.

If you look at the ta specialties rings, where the spider holes are is double thick to account for the two holes on the spider. The praxis link shows only 1 hole wide connection. Hope that makes sense.

slick1

by slick1

Thanks for that. So from what i'm understanding, there aren't many "Traditional" clover style chainrings which will fit the 695. out of the ones above, the Praxis LOOK branded ones are the ones to go for.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

actually the other option is FSA rings and they might be stiffer. Even my local look rep recommends FSA rings and especially if you have electronic shifting.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

makoti

by makoti

I'll be interested in the bars you chose. Kind of in the same boat & not sure what to do about those.
Saddles are so personal, but I'm thinking of going with the Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow. Approx 120g. I've had good luck with SI & my bottom.

Qman

by Qman

According to Campy's documentation, the 11 speed rear derailleurs have the following capacities:
Short Cage: Capacity 33 teeth, Max Sprocket 29T, Min Sprocket 11T, Chainring Front Difference 16T
Long Cage: Capacity 39 teeth, Max Sprocket 29T, Min Sprocket 11T, Chainring Front Difference 22T

The Capacity is the front range + rear range. You need 27-11 = 16 teeth on the rear and 52-39 = 13 teeth on the front. Your total capacity required is 16 + 13 = 29 teeth. Your max sprocket is 27 teeth and your front difference is 13 teeth. That means the short cage derailleur will work for both your 11-25 and 11-27 cassettes. For the larger cassette you may need to use a slightly longer chain.

slick1

by slick1

Thanks for that info. Even if I used compact chainrings for the front (36 - 46) and 11 - 27 on the rear I could still use the short cage derailleur as I calculated it be a total capacity of 26. Am I doing it right or am I way off?

Wcl4

by Wcl4

Well any 110/130 chainring will fit, it's just a matter of how it looks to you.

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp18 ... disDi2.jpg

See how the second hole on the crank spider is just overlapping the chainrings and looks like the chainring mounting point is too small? That's my own personal taste.

Look at it closely compared to the chainrings from my earlier picture.

Qman

by Qman

slick1 wrote:Thanks for that info. Even if I used compact chainrings for the front (36 - 46) and 11 - 27 on the rear I could still use the short cage derailleur as I calculated it be a total capacity of 26. Am I doing it right or am I way off?

Yes, you're doing it correctly.
You could also go for a compact 50-34. That gives the maximum 16 teeth at the front. You can then have a maximum of 17 teeth difference at the back, so you would max out at 11-28. In this configuration the chain length becomes critical. In the 50-28 gear your rear derailleur pulley cage will be stretched forward to near it's max and in the 34-11 gear the rear derailleur will be taking up all the extra chain so it will be pulled rearward to near the max.

slick1

by slick1

Qman wrote:
slick1 wrote:Thanks for that info. Even if I used compact chainrings for the front (36 - 46) and 11 - 27 on the rear I could still use the short cage derailleur as I calculated it be a total capacity of 26. Am I doing it right or am I way off?

Yes, you're doing it correctly.
In the 50-28 gear your rear derailleur pulley cage will be stretched forward to near it's max

Is that with the short cage derailleur?

Qman

by Qman

Yes, short cage.
Again, keep in mind that as you get closer to the total capacity, your chain length becomes critical. Using a 50-34 compact puts you closer to the limit than a 52-39.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com