Sram red 2012 brakeset making screeching noises

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Sisbud

by Sisbud

Hi,

I have been using the sram red 2012 for quite some time now. It keeps making a screeching noise during descent. I have tried changing the brake pads to so many different types, from corima brake pads to the one i am using right now, the swissstop black prince. It is better now, but it still makes a loud screeching noise after a while on the descent. The wheels that i am using is the zipp 303 firecrest CC.

So, the question is what makes the noise? What should i do to make it go away. Or is it better for me to change the brakes to TRP 970?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

eric

by eric

Try the Zipp pads. And then toe them in.

The easiest way to do that is to place a business card between the pad and rim, just at the leading edge of the rim (which is end towards the back of the bike for the normal set stay and fork brake placement). Clamp the brake lever down with one hand, then loosen the nut that holds the pad to the caliper arm and tighten it again. You may need to tighten it just enough to get it to hold position then release the brake so you can use your other hand to hold the pad so it does not rotate.

Then do the other side.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Krackor

by Krackor

Lubing the bolts/washers that hold the pads on works wonders for keeping the pads in place while tightening. Last time I adjusted my pads I tried tightening first before lubing, and then again after lubing. It went from impossible to keep aligned even while holding them with my hand, to easy to keep them aligned all the way to full tension without touching them directly (only putting pressure on the brake lever).

eric

by eric

Thanks! I'll try that.

Qman

by Qman

I had a similar problem when I switched to different wheels. No amount of toe-in would get rid of the problem. It seems to develop on long fast descents when the brakes get very hot. I think the pads are simply getting too hot and they get more "grabby", causing them to vibrate and squeal.
The solution for me was cork pads. No more squeal :D

eric

by eric

Careful- using the wrong pads can ruin carbon rims and that's usually not covered by the rim maker's warranty.

Qman

by Qman

I didn't say anything about using the wrong pads. Use pads that are carbon specific and ones that haven't been previously used on an aluminum rim. Go to http://www.zipp.com/support/maintenance/brakepads.php to get a list of approved pads. Note that there are two kinds of cork pads listed. I've had success with the Bontrager ones.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com