Pictures of Colnagos

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

irongatsby wrote:...

@adry85- uh.....that looks like the drive side? Even if he thought it was English threaded, don't you turn counter-clockwise to loosen it?

English threaded bottom brackets are left hand threads on the drive side. You loosen them by turning them clockwise. It would appear the mechanic assumed it was English threaded and was turning it clockwise. But it was Italian threaded (as any C40 would be), and by turning clockwise he was fighting a losing battle. Make sure your mechanic knows the difference, especially if he's young and in a shop where they rarely see older Italian steeds. Italian threaded bottom brackets are just dumb anyway, never understood why they were done that way... as much as I love all things Italian... the Italian threads are just silly. Colnago switched from Italian threaded BB's to English in 2008.

edit: Actually, I'll just add that the "English" figured out that the way bearings roll within the cups, the bb's would tend to loosen if threaded in the "normal" (clockwise) direction for tightening things (try riding an older Italian threaded bottom bracket that's slightly loose and see how long it takes before it unscrews itself). Anyway, It seems backwards, but the English realized these forces would be negated by using the left hand thread on the drive side. I used to think the Japanese figured it out first, because all Shimano was threaded that way :lol:. And the Italians, reluctant to change anything just because those damn Englishmen did it, continued on for years and years with an inferior method. Then, just when we all seemed to be finally in agreement with threading in bottom brackets all the same way... frame manufacturers decided to just press the damn things in and let whoever wanted to make bottom brackets figure out how they wanted to do it.

And voila... here we are with a zillion different standards that press into frames and creak all the time. Gotta love it. :beerchug:
Last edited by Calnago on Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

cerro

by cerro

driveside you loosen the bottom bracket clockwise on BSA. ITA and BSA are the same on the left side. tragic breaking a frame like that

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

The latest addition to my stable, a 57 C50 in PR00. I've been looking for one for ages, so when this came up I had to have it. I built it up with Chorus 11 with the exception of the brakes which are early Super Record. The ride is sublime with the Neutrons. Weighs 7.6kg as pictured.

irongatsby

by irongatsby

@Calnago, Cerro- I stand corrected. :oops:

Mockenrue- wowsers....!

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

@Mockenroe, That's beautiful ! Only thing I would change is for classic drop handlebars, ant -17 stem, but that's just me...I am archaic like that.... :)

PS, me? ITA threads forever
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

Vagabond

by Vagabond

Such a beautiful bike Adry! It's a shame to see ever more C-40s broken. The lines on those frames are so beautiful. I'd skip the Master and try to find another one.
Colnago e Campagnolo

Vagabond

by Vagabond

Calnago, which shop do you frequent out there for Colnago related issues?
Colnago e Campagnolo

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Vagabond... I remember you commenting some time ago on a shop over on the Eastside. Well, that shop has changed ownership a number of times and I rarely go there. I'm pretty much on my own with Colnago related issues as I wouldn't let anyone else touch my bikes anyway. I asked a buddy (who used to run the shop I'm sure you're speaking of) if he knew you and he did. Did he give you a top cap for your stem? In fact, I caught up with him yesterday. Send me a PM if you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

SalsaLover wrote:...

... me? ITA threads forever

May I ask why? And "just cuz" only counts as an answer if we're talking subjective aesthetic reasons or if you're under 5 years old :)

irongatsby

by irongatsby

But an Italian threaded bike won the last two TdFs! :lol:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Irongatsby... touché! But I'm still putting that answer in the "just cuz" category. Lol.

catbill

by catbill

@calnago...thanks for your clear description on English vs Italian BB thread. Total agree with you. I personally don't think its a question about like of dislike. It simply is a matter of correct or incorrect.

BB is a topic I don't feel like talking about it too much not because I find it too technical or too boring to share in a chat. Everytime when I think about the many different BBsssss, I just go mad. Allow me pls, the more than eight different BBs in the current market is just "a total complete mess".
Colnago C59 KOM
Colnago Extreme-C KOM
Ciocc Aquila Genius tubing
Colnago Master Olympic

eurperg

by eurperg

My C59 with Power2Max B.O.R. crankset. I think I need a lower profile mount for the Navi2Coach computer, to move it down and forward.

Last edited by eurperg on Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ash1

by ash1

Perfect!

dogg

by dogg

whoa very nice. I'm not particularly fond of the c59s but that is a beauty

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com