2014 Campagnolo groups?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nitemare

by Nitemare

Hi front mech weighs in at 74gms which is same as standard Record front mech and about 1gms heavier than standard Super Record, obviously the alloy cage has some weight effect but not much ... :)

Other components are same as standard Super Record though rear mech was very slightly lighter but not by any amount that made any difference to be honest ... (basically the Super Record group with an alloy front mech and chrome graphics) and a bit of exclusivity to my ride over standard Campagnolo Super Record ...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

neeb

by neeb

So really there was never any advantage to the carbon front dérailleur cage, unless 1g is really considered an advantage... Less stiff, more prone to aesthetic damage.

It's interesting that Campagnolo are marketing this as an improvement, but also saying that it is a strictly limited edition. Surely 2015 normal SR will incorporate these changes in the front chainrings and dérailleur too? Or are they really going to offer a 2015 range that is (by their own claims at least) inferior to something they produced the year before?

Nitemare

by Nitemare

Apparently RS group has come about thanks to PRO peleton looking for stiffer front mech to assist changing similar to EPS front mech ?? For me carbon always seemed the wrong choice for an item were chain wear is of course inevitable ... I had a previous 10 speed Record front mech fail after chain wear ...

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

SR RS - It's a totally new FD cage & chainring combination so it can't really be compared to the previous versions.

Wear on the carbon outer plate can't really occur if the FD is set at the correct height & inclination and is used within spec (i.e. not with Rotor / O-symmetric or other non-round rings and with FD cable tension set correctly) ... the plastic plate that is on the inside of the outer cage plate takes the friction from the chain - it's replaceable so if it wears *that* badly, it should be changed. Having said that, even on the team bikes, we very, very seldom have to replace them ... most failures we see are set-up problems.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

makoti

by makoti

Ok folks ... here's my Campagnolo RS Groupset that I got yesterday ... will build onto my De Rosa Corum .. :D

man oh man, that is pretty stuff!

Nitemare

by Nitemare

First Ride Report - Campagnolo RS Super Record

Well today I had my first outing on my De Rosa Corum with the RS group on board ...

First off I'd never ridden 11 speed Campagnolo before (I've just upgraded from Record 10spd) so I was blown away by the performance of the 11 speed changing never mind the front mech enhancements and chain ring re-profiling of the RS group.
The rear changing was as sweet as a nut and the front changing (which is the main focus of RS group) was very quick and precise with a definite Campagnolo "sturdiness" either changing up or down (also provided with the group was the Campagnolo Chain retainer - FD-SR003) and this gives confidence that the chain will not unship down onto the frame ...
Noticeable was the quietness of the rear cassette, the 10 cassettes seemed to have a loud "tick" when freewheeling which isn't apparent on the 11 system ...??
All-in-all a good days training across Northern Ireland's famous Mourne Mt's countryside with gasps from others as to how I managed to get the RS group ... so all good!! lol

Nitemare.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

graeme_f_k wrote:SR RS - It's a totally new FD cage & chainring combination so it can't really be compared to the previous versions.

Wear on the carbon outer plate can't really occur if the FD is set at the correct height & inclination and is used within spec (i.e. not with Rotor / O-symmetric or other non-round rings and with FD cable tension set correctly) ... the plastic plate that is on the inside of the outer cage plate takes the friction from the chain - it's replaceable so if it wears *that* badly, it should be changed. Having said that, even on the team bikes, we very, very seldom have to replace them ... most failures we see are set-up problems.

I noticed on the pro bikes with SR EPS that they have a new carbon cage. Looks much bigger than previous one and looks like the outer cage is now one piece. Do you know if they will put that cage on the new 2015 SR. I heard it will be updated.

██

teddyuk

by teddyuk

I hope this is the good place for my question: I am bought a new road bike (Condor Acciaio) and while I am waiting for the frame to be finished I am wondering if to use the Ultegra 6700 groupset on my BMC or if to give a go to Campagnolo. In the last week I arrived to the conclusion that I want to try Campagnolo, and (limited by the budget) I was considering Centaur Carbon vs Athena alloy (I probably could stretch to the Athena carbon version). What do you suggest? Why? Any real weight of the three groupset?

I wouyld use the bike to:
- commute to work (20 km/day)
- weekly club rides (mostly flat, 50 km/ twice a week)
- week end club rides (100-140 km)

Miller

by Miller

Centaur is 10sp, Athena is 11sp, that's a difference. Otherwise I would say they are pretty similar in function and weight.

neeb

by neeb

ferrarista wrote:Image

Seem to remember that somewhere recently I saw a picture or a video of a Movistar team bike with green instead of red-highlighted conventional SR EPS bits. Or did I dream it?

Would go very well with my Foil Team Issue. Want, if available!

deltree

by deltree

Only recoloured bit of Campagnolo I've seen in years has been somebody's Speedvagen with orange accents instead of red. Could have been the Power2max decal on their new cranks?

Edit: https://flic.kr/p/e1zRNV
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=113566&hilit=speedvagen&start=0

tinozee

by tinozee

I've seen the green SR too, not sure if it's available. It would be nice to get rid of the red at least.

neeb

by neeb

Here's where I saw it - in the video, about 37 seconds in. But it's only in the artificial-looking shots with the white background, not in the shots of the real Movistar bikes.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/the-top-five-bikes-of-the-pro-peloton-2014-video-40536/

Direct link to the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BciWleDgfKE#t=35

But I reckon it might not actually exist yet and could just be a photoshopped marketing thing - if you pause the video at 40s where it is showing the front EPS derailleur, you can see half of a red version floating above it! Someone was careless with the cut & paste.. :wink:

teddyuk

by teddyuk

Miller wrote:Centaur is 10sp, Athena is 11sp, that's a difference. Otherwise I would say they are pretty similar in function and weight.

Thanks :wink: (it is difficult to find real weight of the groupsets)....

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Look on Campagnolo's website. All the weights are there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com