Wert Straight Shooter stem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

mythical wrote:
Wert Cycling facebook page status update wrote:Behold: Wert bolts fresh out of their die! These production samples are entirely hot forged out of 6/4 titanium and accept a T25 Torx wrench. Being made without a single machining operation, expect their tensile strength to exceed a CNC-machined equivalent by about 70%. Thread callout is M5x0.5 and even exceed rolled threads in strength.

We're looking into making them even prettier through anodizing, a laser engraved logo and torque values.

I never thought I'd get so excited over a bolt, but god damn it that's pretty.

Having had a chat to Myth I'm excited about what's coming from him, he's fantastic to deal with and to me that means a lot more than just having a great product. the stems are stunning, and I honestly believe Wert has a future. Come release date I'll be ordering. No doubt. I want one of these ALOT. I think Wert is the next Berk.

Keep it up Myth, :thumbup:
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mythical

by mythical

I call upon those weight weenies interested in this product to leave their feedback on the following facebook post. Thanks in advance for your feedback. :thumbup:

Wert Cycling status update wrote:Wert Cycling needs your assistance to better determine our first production batch order. We wish to offer our Straight Shooter stems in 6 lengths and 2 angles, namely 75-90-100-110-120-130mm in ±8º or ±17º. With sufficient demand, we might even do a 145mm version. Planned colors are black, red and orange anodized. Our current retail price estimate is €198.

In the comment section of this post, please state your preferred 1) length and 2) angle and 3) color.

“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

deltree

by deltree

Hi mythical any plans for a lightweight crank once these stems are at market?

KWalker

by KWalker

-6 130 and 140
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

corky

by corky

110 &120 -8 black.

would prefer -10 :D

Jrock831

by Jrock831

Any updates on up coming purchasing dates?
2004 trek carbon 9.8
2013 giant talon 29er
2001 mongoose XR-500

Jrock831

by Jrock831

All black one 75 -8 degrees
one 90 -17 degrees
2004 trek carbon 9.8
2013 giant talon 29er
2001 mongoose XR-500

mythical

by mythical

Many thanks to everyone for their feedback on the lengths, angles and colors. The results have surprised us. :D
@weeracerweenie: Thank you too for the kind words! :beerchug:

KWalker wrote:-6 130 and 140
corky wrote:would prefer -10
±8º was chosen for sitting right in between ±!6º and ±10º. However, the Wert stem geometry is slightly different than most, being that the top of the stem is lower than most. Stack height is 37.5mm as is the diameter of the stem barrel. Measured from the center of the stack height, the angle does sit around ±6º for a typical stem length. It still puts the bar lower than most stems with a taller stack height and, when replacing a typical stem with a Straight Shooter, there is room for a small spacer to bring the handlebars to a similar height. It makes for a more versatile fit compared to other stems.

deltree wrote:Hi mythical any plans for a lightweight crank once these stems are at market?
Yes. Last August there was a meeting with manufacturer who pioneers a revolutionary manufacturing technology for titanium and possibly steel. The problem is not getting around to make a design to suit this technology. The roadmap for various Wert Cycling part releases definitely includes cranks. First the Straight Shooter stem, then the Perimeter Post followed by either pedals or MTB/road wheels. Once those are launched, cranks get their turn. So when more of you buy Wert stuff, it'll supply us a more ample R&D budget to release new parts sooner. ;)

Meanwhile, check out the latest.
Wert Cycling facebook status wrote:For production stems we’ve been given an estimated launch date of late May this week. We’re now waiting for confirmation so we ask you for just a little more patience. The Straight Shooter stem will be more than worth the wait. Other news is that we will probably offer custom stem lengths for a reasonable surcharge, although these details also await confirmation. Meanwhile, check out this handlebar clamp area improvement to be implemented in production stems. It'll increase stem stiffness for more efficient out-of-saddle efforts.

“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

corky wrote:it's taking a while, but the future looks bright

so bright they have to wear shades...

Rick

by Rick

120mm ±10° is my preference; but ±8° is probably close enough.
White would be top choice (powder coat ?); Black good enough.

I might also need a 100mm, -17° Black.

I love those bolts!

BTW: Your website has some serious problems. I tried looking at it in both IE and google Chrome. It is all skeewumpus.

makoti

by makoti

100-110mm/17 degree would be what I would get. Looks very nice.

hasbeen

by hasbeen

130 -17 black or red
130 -20 would be awesome too!
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

mythical wrote:±8º was chosen for sitting right in between ±!6º and ±10º. However, the Wert stem geometry is slightly different than most, being that the top of the stem is lower than most. Stack height is 37.5mm as is the diameter of the stem barrel.
Sounds very much like a Deda Newton or Arima stem with +/- 8º and 37 mm stack height.

mythical wrote:
deltree wrote:Hi mythical any plans for a lightweight crank once these stems are at market?
Yes. Last August there was a meeting with manufacturer who pioneers a revolutionary manufacturing technology for titanium and possibly steel. The problem is not getting around to make a design to suit this technology. The roadmap for various Wert Cycling part releases definitely includes cranks. First the Straight Shooter stem, then the Perimeter Post followed by either pedals or MTB/road wheels. Once those are launched, cranks get their turn.
Are going to give another go at the Mythical titanium crank?

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

The crank you made years back for that worlds lightest bike is still damn impressive!

mythical

by mythical

Out of curiosity, what do you weenies think of these colored bolts?
Wert Cycling facebook page status update wrote:Our 6Al-4V bolts with special anodization that also makes anti-seize unnecessary. We'd like your feedback on the color. Do you prefer this unique finish, or natural titanium? Do you prefer torque values on the bolts or on the stem/clamps?

We received some questions about launch dates. Know that we're currently working out the best solutions to efficiently manufacture the various stem lengths and angles in a way where we don't need to overcharge our customers. This being our first product, we want to do it right the first time around. Please bear with us while we iron out the kinks.Image

Jrock831 wrote:Any updates on up coming purchasing dates?
You'll know when I know.

Rick wrote:I love those bolts!

BTW: Your website has some serious problems. I tried looking at it in both IE and google Chrome. It is all skeewumpus.
Thanks, I'm sure you'll like them even more in the flesh. The website wasn't finished and, with our web developer plunged into his first adventure of fatherhood, his challenges in life changed and was unable to devote the necessary attention to the Wert Cycling website. We're urgently searching for a replacement.

HammerTime2 wrote:Sounds very much like a Deda Newton or Arima stem with +/- 8º and 37 mm stack height.
I once had a Deda Newton stem and found the barrel flimsy and the stem overly flexible. It simply doesn't work aesthetically with many modern bikes with oversized tubes. Also, I wanted stiffer and better looking and those are some of the reasons that inspired me to start designing my own stem. Thus far the progression exceeded my best expectations. :)

HammerTime2 wrote:Are going to give another go at the Mythical titanium crank?
That's definitely the plan.

dereksmalls wrote:The crank you made years back for that worlds lightest bike is still damn impressive!
Let's hope this stem bests that as well as all the parts to follow.

UpFromOne wrote:
corky wrote:it's taking a while, but the future looks bright

so bright they have to wear shades...
8)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com