Praxis Works + Campagnolo 11 + Quarq = :(

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

r_mutt

by r_mutt

53/39

anyone have success?

I have a Quarq Riken BB30 and it is the most recalcitrant shift (from the 39 to the 53) i've ever encountered. i've even had the rings replaced for a new set yet the problem still exists. at best it's slow, and at it's worst it requires 2 or 3 tries to get it to shift.

in addition to this, when shifting from the 53 to the 39 and going down the rear sprocket at the same time, it will fall off the chainring to the inside. Campagnolo rings (and even Stronglight CT2's ) never did that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

Perhaps there needs to be more space between the rings? You can try some chainring spacers. QPB lists them so you can get them from any shop. The thinnest is .6mm. if you put them on and the shifting got even worse the at least you'd know which direction to go.

It would be interesting to compare your different rings and their thickness, how the teeth are offset to one side or another, and if there are any countersinks at the bolt holes. There's no standard for these, or for crank arm thickness, so what you get when combining parts from different manufacturers is kind of a crapshoot.

boysa

by boysa

I'm running Campagnolo 11 with a Quarq Elsa and just added the Praxis rings about a month ago. So far, the rings have been fantastic. I was using the Stronglight CT2 before, and I thought they were pretty good, but the Praxis are noticeably better. Unfortunately, I'm using a BSA bb so we can't compare apples to apples.

I'll just add when I switched the rings, I didn't need to adjust my derailleurs at all. Everything matched up perfectly.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

r_mutt

by r_mutt

that is odd since i am having persistent issues with it. perhaps there's a problem with the spider from Quarq- after all, this is my second praxis chainring set and both have the same exact issue. i don't thin the BSA vs BB30 would make that much of a difference- or perhaps it does? i think i should call Quarq on this.

Martin.F

by Martin.F

Quarq bb30 + Praxis works + record EPS 11 here. No worries at all. Perfect shifting since day 1.

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

Praxis rings on Quarq Red (10spd) GXP Quarq with Campag 11 - no issues for me.

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

Quark ring spacings are wrong for Campagnolo 11s - we've seen the problem many times before. There also appear to be an issue with the rigidity of the rings, hence the slow / unreliable upshift. This can be improved by a bit of an old-skool trick, filing the tops off a couple of the teeth in the shift zones (anyone remember Shimano W-Cut?) ... not that we'd really recommend what feels like a bit of a bodge, normally - but we have done it and it did work OK-ish for a couple of guys that we have worked with.

The Praxis rings mimic the 11s spacing quite well and with a careful FD set up seem to work OK in many cases as noted by other users above.

Bear in mind though, it's going to vary with rear triangle length and also possibly with cassette sizes as the point on the cage that the chain is in contact with when you shift will vary with casette size; rear triangle geo can also affect this (seat tube - chainstay angles plus angle of chain relative to the rings and FD at the extremes) and differing ring spacings and ramps / pins can affect the reliability of the shift.

HTH
Graeme
Campagnolo Main SC, UK
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

r_mutt

by r_mutt

i'm not sure i follow you - i am running a Quarq Riken power meter with Praxis rings. are you suggesting that the Quark spider that the chain rings are attached to are not quite Campagnolo compatible? Quarq doesn't make chain rings so i think this is what you mean, no?

what's odd is that this is the second frame (and second chain ring set) i've put this power meter on with the same issue. this present frame has a much shorter rear chainstay than the previous one (Cannondale Evo).

boysa

by boysa

Yes, I was wondering the same thing. Not sure how the Quarq could be the issue, and since some of us are having success with Praxis, not sure how they could be the issue, either.

So you've tried the Praxis/Quarq combo on two frames, same results? This is odd, and I certainly hope you can figure it out.

ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

by ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

Quarq usually comes with sram rings, presumably that's what Graeme meant.
Sounds like you need a proper front derailleur adjustment, or an improved front shifting technique.
The Quarq has little to do with this - and the Praxis rings should work reasonably well.
Assuming that there's not too much flex in the derailleur / braze-on, or a worn chain, likely a looser high limit and tighter low will show some improvement.

r_mutt

by r_mutt

I am reasonably certain that my front shifting technique is sound. This is my second Quarq- I still ride with a Quarq Cinquo from 4 years back running Stronglight CT2 rings with no such issues on a CAAD10 with Chorus 11.

My Cannondale Evo was built from new with Record 11 and a Quarq Riken- new chain, Praxis rings, etc and despite the attentions of 3 different mechanics, has failed to shift smoothly. I had the rings replaced immediately with a Praxis warranty replacement set and althought it was better, it was but still not shifting well by any means. I sold the Evo frame, and transferred everything over to a new Litespeed C1R frame- same issue. Shoddy shifting.

what gives?

ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

by ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

Out of curiosity, what chain are you running? Perhaps try a KMC? I've had excellent luck with KMC on Praxis rings..

r_mutt

by r_mutt

I'm running a Record 11 chain. You think a KMC would be a better option?

boysa

by boysa

I'm not sure this would change things, but I guess it'd be worth a try. Personally, I tried KMC in the past and didn't find it on the same level as Campagnolo. IMHO, the Record chain is the true gem of Campagnolo's gruppo.

Pondering this some more, I wonder if somehow your crankset is canted. Since you've had it in two different frames, it can't be there, but perhaps the spider or the bb is misaligned. Two tests would be to put the rings on another Quarq spider or to try a different bb. Also, have you tried putting the Praxis rings on your Quarq Cinco to see if they work there? Just thinking out loud...

r_mutt

by r_mutt

that is not a bad idea- i think my next move should be Praxis rings on the Quarq Cinquo. I am also going to call Quarq tomorrow.

thanks-

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com