Felt 2014 AR1

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mize

by Mize

Here's the bike in action:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Twinning

by Twinning

no need to quote above

Nice! You need to get some black bottles to seal the deal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mize

by Mize

For spring that's a good idea...Summer, not so much :-)

I have a black KMC chain on the way though.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

That thing is freaking beautiful!

My budget may have just opened up for a new aero frame... it's a shame that I'm probably out of luck to find an AR1! Not as hot on the graphics of the AR5 but there's one available locally... decisions, decisions...

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

weightLight wrote:Superdave,

Can you please tell me an ETA on the Felt AR FRD frame sets in Australia, I keep going into the bike shop and he rings the supplier and is told 2 weeks, every time is 2 weeks. I can wait no problems there, but at this rate the new model will be out and my AR will still not have arrived :-)

Thanks.

Two weeks. :)

In all honesty it appears that the first shipment for Oz arrives on/around April 12th. AR FRD Framesets have been shipping for a month or so but not every country is serviced with container shipments and some global distributors have opted for airfreight to save the ~3 to 5 week transit times. (Canada, some South America countries, etc...)

I sympathize, I'm waiting for mine as well.

-SD

Krackor

by Krackor

Finally got out for a decent ride on my AR1 today after finishing the build about 4 weeks ago... Winter just finally starting to break here in the midwest. I've got Enve SES 6.7 tubulars mounted, and with a couple 1000W sprints today the frame stiffness feels pretty solid. No brake rub front or rear, with pretty normal pad spacing. For comparison, I've tried my Far Sports 50mm x 25mm clinchers on the bike also and those were rubbing like crazy both front and rear every time I stood up. So for me personally, brake rub and "frame flex" has been a wheel issue, not a frame issue.

The ride feels a little harsh over bumps and small potholes. This is on Vittoria CX 23mm tubulars at 105/115 psi, while I'm used to GP4000s 25mm clinchers at 95/105 psi. Road vibration is pretty minimal which is nice, it's just the big jolts that make it through. Thomson KFC bars, PRO Vibe stem, and Cinelli Cork tape.

I had some trouble with slipping seatpost today with the bolts torqued to spec. I'll try adding some more friction paste and keep it at the high end of the specified torque range.

Pictures to come soon!

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

liketoride wrote:Just got word that my ARfrd is not coming untill april 25. I bought mine in Nov. I was told that it was going to be DEC, then Feb, Then March and Now April=May? Does anyone have their's yet?

Yes, AR FRD have begun shipping. Both bikes and framesets are at some dealers now as we begin to fill backorders in the order in which they were placed amongst retailers who have sold them to consumers. Bikes and frames are typically a lower priority if they are for a dealers' open stock/floor.

-SD

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

liketoride wrote:i live in right next to to place where they put the bikes together in California. i ride by their shop in Ontario everyday. SD what gives?

They cannot ship a bike out of Ontario to a dealer that doesn't exist yet.
Once bikes do arrive they get shipped out fairly quickly this time of year and the wait starts over for more bikes to arrive.

-SD

liketoride

by liketoride

SD

my home is next to Ontario CA, but i bought the frameset from Bike Religion in Nov. That is where i am getting my information. Thank you for responding to everyone on this thread and on the matter. I would love to get my hands on the bike asap. Thanks.

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

liketoride wrote:SD

my home is next to Ontario CA, but i bought the frameset from Bike Religion in Nov. That is where i am getting my information. Thank you for responding to everyone on this thread and on the matter. I would love to get my hands on the bike asap. Thanks.

First off, thanks for your business and patience. With so many options available I genuinely appreciate you are waiting for a Felt instead of just jumping on a Propel, Venge, S3, Foil, etc...

Pardon my laziness in not going back through 40 pages of posts to find your bike/frame size. If you'd like to send me an email with the details on which location at BR you bought your bike from and perhaps who you spoke with, I can dig into it for you. I'll need to warn you I don't work in sales or even for the North American distributor of Felt Bicycles so I can't just open up my laptop and check the order status. The sales crew is in New York but I'm happy to check the status for you via their allocation process.

If you'd rather conduct the dialogue on the forum that's fine, too but it becomes more difficult to loop in others at Felt in CC when digging for information. I don't always get the chance to browse every forum with "where's my bike? questions so I'm afraid I might miss a query or two from time to time.

One of these days when I'm out in Ontario doing QC checks or building bikes for Interbike we should hook up for a lunch or post-work ride!

-SD

Krackor

by Krackor

http://i.imgur.com/o7yuIv8.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/LHaHE6V.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Ar0GCmf.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/MMGciM6.jpg

edit: Temporarily removed the images because they were enormous. How do I post small versions?

The roads are better, but still have some post-winter mess on them, so the bike's not as clean as it could be. :oops:

I used Jagwire Elite Links for brake and shifter cables. Instead of putting on the included rubber donuts, I slipped some black shrink wrap over the parts that might contact the frame.

It turns out I am actually getting some rear brake rub when out of the saddle. It's just a more subtle sound than I am used to so it took me a while to notice it. There's still space to open up the rear brake more, so maybe it's avoidable.

Elite Leggero bottle cage is on its way. It weighed in at 6580g without cages and pedals, so add 225g for Keo Blades and 15g for the cage and total weight should be just about 6820g.

I took the bike out today with a 15-25 mph wind. In crosswinds the bike was a bit of a handful, but not bad enough to require both hands always on the bars.

liketoride

by liketoride

superdave

can you send me a PM with your email so i can do that please. Thank you.

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

liketoride wrote:superdave

can you send me a PM with your email so i can do that please. Thank you.

I'm sure there's no risk in just exposing that information here.

Dave Koesel | Senior Product Manager
Felt Bicycles | 12 Chrysler | Irvine, CA 92618 USA
p: 949.268.4464 | e: davekoesel at feltbicycles dot com
feltbicycles.com | Skype: d_koesel

-SD

Mize

by Mize

I'm getting some strange rear D behavior that I cannot reproduce in my stand. Lucky me it only happens (so far) in races, but it doesn't seem to cause real problems.

Basically it's a sound similar to sticky link and a jumpy shift (not quite complete). If I shift a bit or hammer the sound stops. My new LBS (not the original builder who messed up ever so much) is thinking there is excess friction on the cable and the rear D spring isn't as snappy as it should be. I've verified that the last section of cable tubing is NOT to SRAM spec (required to exit the barrel straight but the original LBS cut it too short so it exits the barrel at an angle). Any other ideas? Could anything about the internal routing (racer's cross) cause a symptom like this? FWIW this is SRAM Red 22. Any help appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Twinning

by Twinning

Mize wrote:I'm getting some strange rear D behavior that I cannot reproduce in my stand. Lucky me it only happens (so far) in races, but it doesn't seem to cause real problems.

Basically it's a sound similar to sticky link and a jumpy shift (not quite complete). If I shift a bit or hammer the sound stops. My new LBS (not the original builder who messed up ever so much) is thinking there is excess friction on the cable and the rear D spring isn't as snappy as it should be. I've verified that the last section of cable tubing is NOT to SRAM spec (required to exit the barrel straight but the original LBS cut it too short so it exits the barrel at an angle). Any other ideas? Could anything about the internal routing (racer's cross) cause a symptom like this? FWIW this is SRAM Red 22. Any help appreciated.

I have this problem as well! I'm on the newer sram red. I noticed my rear derailleur hanger was bent repeatedly. Don't know what was/is causing it. Check the hanger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk