When carrying a bike on the roof...

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

seanblurr

by seanblurr

I don't know what it is, but it always seems that people transport bikes on the passenger side of the vehicle. Is it just me? I put my rack on the drivers side, that just seems to make sense...
Instagram @seanblurr

rijndael

by rijndael

For me, it's usually the drivers side. That's because the drivers side of the car not against the wall in the garage, so putting the rack on is easier.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aaric

by aaric

If you parallel park on a two way street, you aren't in traffic if your bike is on the passenger side when you remove it.

Getter

by Getter

I always put my mountain bike on the left side. Its easier to put through axle in the adapter that way. Road bike...whichever side I'm standing at the moment.

CBJ

by CBJ

I put it in the back of the car :)

PJCM

by PJCM

Depending on what side of the road you drive on in your country, I put it on the footpath/sidewalk side when parallel parked for safe access

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

When carrying a bike on the roof...avoid driving into your garage.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

mattr

by mattr

CBJ wrote:I put it in the back of the car :)
we bought a van. bikes go inside. not on the roof.

Amazes me the number of singly occupied estate cars I see at races with a bike on the roof.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

mattr wrote:

Amazes me the number of singly occupied estate cars I see at races with a bike on the roof.

"I paid good money for that roof rack, I'll make damn sure I get some use out of it!"

"Also my wife gets upset if there's oil in the boot..."

Back of the car. I wouldn't put my child on the roof, no way is my bike going there either.

CBJ

by CBJ

Good to know I am not the only crazy person who thinks the bike has a better time inside the car.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I have a better time in a car that smells nice.....not that lube/dirt doesn't smell nice. Not to mention my yuppy TDI looks much more legit with a rack.

djm

by djm

stella-azzurra wrote:When carrying a bike on the roof...avoid driving into your garage.

Best advice so far :-)

It seems almost all my friends who have roof racks have done this at some point..

Stolen from a friend's FB profile

rijndael

by rijndael

I have a simple rule to help prevent that. When the bike goes on the roof, the garage door opener comes out of the car.

MoPho

by MoPho

mattr wrote:

That said, I've mostly given up on this, it was a PITA to get the bike in and out of the car and now I find myself traveling between two cities for work and I have to carry too much camera gear and luggage to put the bike inside, so it goes on the roof.

But as someone pointed out, it looks way more "legit" on the roof :mrgreen:

rijndael wrote:I have a simple rule to help prevent that. When the bike goes on the roof, the garage door opener comes out of the car.

Yup, I put the remote somewhere that I have to get out of the car to reach it :thumbup:

mattr

by mattr

MoPho wrote:But as someone pointed out, it looks way more "legit" on the roof :mrgreen:
I think he was taking the p155..........

And a mobile workshop/changing room/bike shop looks far better......... we've got room to do that for 4,including camping/race weekend kit, or 6 if it's hotel/day trip.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com