Schwalbe One

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
blasdelf

by blasdelf

fdegrove wrote:With a TPI of 127 for the tubular version they'll actually have to pay me before I want to ride it.

Anybody claiming a higher thread count is double or triple counting, adding the layers together

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

blasdelf

by blasdelf

My 23mm Tubeless Ones have stretched out to 24.5mm on my Stan's Alpha rims

they're more comfortable and roll much faster than the Hutchinson Atoms I've been riding for years

and the grip is absolutely insane, I can lean all the way over to the edge of the tread even on wet off-camber pavement with confidence

despite the stickiness they also seem very hard-wearing, I'm about 400 miles in and the front tire still has a hint of the mold line down the center

I can't even imagine how awesome the 25 and 28 sizes will be when they finally ship

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

blasdelf wrote:
fdegrove wrote:With a TPI of 127 for the tubular version they'll actually have to pay me before I want to ride it.

Anybody claiming a higher thread count is double or triple counting, adding the layers together

So, what are you saying?
Is a true single layer thread count higher that 127 a lie?

I know that some manufacturers add up the individual thread count of each layer to go to market with a nice looking figure where in fact adding several layers of low tpi only makes matters worse, not better.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

addictR1

by addictR1

i'm currently running michellin pro4 service course 23mm. i'm interested to hear how the schwalbe one compares to the pro4SC.

thanks.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Must preface with this by saying I got this info 3rd hand...

I went to order another set of Ultremo ZX clinchers (not their new tubeless version) from a shop that normally doesn't stock them. They had a hard time finding a black 23c set, so they ended up on the phone with Schwalbe USA. My new shop was told the future is One and not ZX, which is being discontinued (admittedly, the shop guy who relayed this information to me wasn't 100% sure on the d/c part of the call). They apparently have an entire factory dedicated to the One.

Right, wrong or indifferent - I found a set of black 23c ZXs's elsewhere as I'm not ready to lead Schwalbe's tubeless experiment. Nothing against my shop.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Will One tubular survive on gravel roads? Or is it best to go with Sprinter Gatorskin there?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

rainerhq

by rainerhq

FreeZ

by FreeZ

nfecyle wrote:Hi,

I am currently running 26 mm Tubular Schwalbe One.

Durability: I am using it for commuting. Schwalbe One definitely is more durable and the ultremos and tubular 4000gp, but still gatorskin is the best for durability.

Ride quality: I like the ultremos better as it seems to be more supple. Schwalbe one feels to have stiffer casing, but the difference is not much. Both feels as fast. For fast cornering though, I feel Schwalbe one is much better than the ultremos. And of course the ride is way better than the gatorskin.

Aeroness/handling: 26 mm schwalbe one seems to big for front. I should have gotten 24 or 22 for front. The handling become really bad when I put 26mm schwalbe one. I had 25 mm gatorskin before I replaced it with schwalbe one.

Mounting: Way way easier than the conti's tubular.

Conclusion: I think it is on par with the GP 4000 tubular. I will buy again due to easiness of mounting, durability, and ride quality. I want a better ride quality than the gatorskin but I don't want to spend 100/tire for veloflex/fmb, and Schwalbe one fits the bill perfectly. I do have to pump tire every morning before commute though :beerchug:

Can you please tell me the actual width of 26mm Schwalbe One tubular?

tnc1970

by tnc1970

I just finished my second ride on Schwalbe One 23 clincher, using Michelin latex tubes: really sweet combo at 7.3/7.8 bar. Be aware that previous setup was Continental 4Seasons with Conti Light tubes, but still...very satisfied so far.
Used in the past Ultremo ZX and I'd say they roll similar and therefore durability will be the key differentiator (if any)

project3

by project3

I have switched from gp4000s 23mm to schwable one.

Easy to mount. During mounting, can feel that it's softer material compare to conti.

During my 15km climb. I feels softer to ride.

Best is I like the rolling down. Soft and easy to control during the down hill rolling and able to tale more degree do bending. GP a bit hard on the compound every time coming down from the same hill have to told the handle with extra careful.

Overall It would be great if they have a tread wear indicator.

Price same as conti but made in Indonesia. That's all for now

rainerhq

by rainerhq

FreeZ wrote:Can you please tell me the actual width of 26mm Schwalbe One tubular?

For example 28mm measures 26,5mm

EDIT: pumped it to 8bar and then its width is 28mm
Last edited by rainerhq on Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Been running Schwalbe One Tubeless with Stan's on Hed Belgium Plus rims for about 1,000 miles. They're excellent.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

In last two years I have moved from GP4000 to Ultremo ZX to Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX to Ones - all 25C clinchers
GP4000's are solid tyres and durable that grip well in the wet. They are not subtle compred to the others and the ride quality is not that inspiring.
Ultremos have definitely improved over last couple of years - originally my summer tyre but survived last winter without a flat until I had really worn them down. They are fast and very confidence inspiring on corners and descents.
My time with Vittoris was brief - after one year on Ultremos with 2 flats I had 5 flats in 4 weeks on the Vittoris - in summer. To me they are noticeably slower than Ultremos and not very grippy on corners - I found compared to the Ultremos I was backing off significantly and even lost it completely on a pretty mild corner. A mate who rides them religiously (he has to as he is our resident Italian) admits that when they are cold the Vittoris are definitely slower and more slippery IHO.
I've had a month on the Ones - a real relief after the Vittorias(!). Predictably they ride most closely to the Ultremos - it is still early days but already had one flat (I'll put that down to wrong place wrong time). They run nicely but my growing impression is that the Ultremos stick in the corners a little better - my times down my favourite hills are a bit behind my normal. They are easy to mount but a little tighter than Ultremos - easy to get on but had to work a little to get one off on the roadside.
I prefer the muted graphics on the Ones but at this stage if the Ultremos were available in paired back graphics they would be my preference.

To my mind the newer Schwalbe tyres really show up the older two tyres and demonstrate that tyres have definitely made some progress in the last 4 years or so.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

project3

by project3

rode 120km yesterday with schwalbe one - overall compare to gp4ks - schwalbe one is softer and i prefer to use it for a long non-competition ride. So comfy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Took out my Schwalbe Ironman tubulars for the first ride yesterday.

It was a completely recovery spin with normalized power of 155W, but I was quite surprised to see that eventually I completed a loop of 40km with 30+ km/h with such a low power (for me). It looks like these tyres indeed might be fast.

On the other hand, they definitely felt much more harsh (by this, I mean the ability to pick up small vibrations from the uneven road surface) than Veloflex Extreme/Carbon combination I run on my other tubular wheelsets, pumped to equal pressures.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike