Has anybody tried already a Castelli Gabba jersey??

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Hbrown

by Hbrown

I road in a downpour a few days ago. The Gabba jersey is amazing! I also had on a set of Super Nano gloves. The rain came down so hard that I was squinting and could barely see. I got maybe to the end of my driveway , first drizzle then bawoosh. Did not even think of turning around and going back home. I kept riding. 2.3 hours later, i pulled into my driveway, covered in road salt and grime feeling good and amazingly happy, I never got cold even though I should have been freezing. The Gabba and the Super Nano a amazing combination. By the way I have the long sleeve version Blk with red zippers and have had it for a year. Best jersey I have ever owned.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

teleguy57

by teleguy57

Hbrown wrote:I road in a downpour a few days ago. The Gabba jersey is amazing! I also had on a set of Super Nano gloves. The rain came down so hard that I was squinting and could barely see. I got maybe to the end of my driveway , first drizzle then bawoosh. Did not even think of turning around and going back home. I kept riding. 2.3 hours later, i pulled into my driveway, covered in road salt and grime feeling good and amazingly happy, I never got cold even though I should have been freezing. The Gabba and the Super Nano a amazing combination. By the way I have the long sleeve version Blk with red zippers and have had it for a year. Best jersey I have ever owned.

Great testimonial. What were the temperature/wind conditions for the soggy spectacle? :)

jt2gt

by jt2gt

Anyone have a Medium long sleeve Fluro yellow they want to sell or know where I can order one in the states? PM me. Can't find anywhere. JT

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I just got my my convertible jacket today. I'm riding about 170 km on Saturday (it's an annual thing) and the forecast is rain with temps between 8 and 13 degrees (C). It seems as if it has rained about half of the 14 years I've been doing this (last Saturday in March). 2 years ago the temps were similar and it poured for most of the ride-- even if it doesn't keep me completely dry, I'm hoping I'll be able to stay a bit warmer.
Speedplay is the devil!

kramnnim

by kramnnim

I've heard that the Nanoflex material becomes less waterproof/resistant with use as the coating wears off (?), is this correct? And is the Gabba material the same way?

genesis692

by genesis692

It's just like any other water resistant outerwear.... the effectiveness slowly diminishes as it gets dirty & goes through the wash.

I reproofed my Gabba jacket and Nanoflex warmers with tech wash last week before the start of our "winter". Pretty much as good as new.

lippythelion

by lippythelion

^ Agree with the use of Tech Wash. I use Nikwax Softshell Proof on my Gabba & Nanoflex stuff too.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Fwiw- I've picked up a clone Capo Lombardia jersey which is pretty darn sweet. I've never owned a Gabba.

teleguy57

by teleguy57

First ride in my Gabba SS jersey today. 36F, windy (15mph), occasional spitting rain turned to steady light rain near the end of the ride. Wore an Icebreakers 260 wt merino LS baselayer and Sportful NoRain arm warmers.

Cool, but not uncomfortably so for the first 75 minutes. The Gabba fabric definitely blocked the wind better than the warmers did. Started getting a bit chilly at the 1:45 mark, but again that was mostly the wind coming through the arm warmers. Finished in the rain at about 2 hrs and felt good to get in the house.

So now I know the lower limits for this jersey for me. Next time I'd go in these conditions would probably add another baselayer, perhaps synthetic under the merino.

Fit was good for me with an XL: 5'11", 42 inch chest, 37ish waist this time of year...

BTW< Rapha winter cap was great even though the brim was soaked when I finished.

boots2000

by boots2000

Have to choose the proper baselayer with a Gabba.
It is more of a barrier than insulation.
I broke out my windstop baselayer for the 1st time in years- used it under my gabba when temps were in the 40's.
I actually have the Vermarc version- I think it is Giordana G-shield. Black with custom logos. I look so cool and Quikstep-like when I wear it that I can hardly stand it.

dha

by dha

I run the flanders wind base layer from Castelli under the Gabba when its below 10degC and stay warm.

djm

by djm

I usually layer with wool or synthetic long sleeve shirts underneath my LS Gabba + a short sleeve jersey to avoid using the pockets on the Gabba. By adding layers I can wear it in fairly cold conditions.

jsprbcn

by jsprbcn

any123

by any123

Does anyone have experience with the rainvolution shirt from the french brand ekoi?

i ordered one and i am waiting

the gabba is too expensive for me

http://www.ekoi.fr/de/en-reduction/2274 ... ution.html

jsprbcn

by jsprbcn

Maybe expensive, but it will be your best piece of kit!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com