FarSports 38mm Carbon Clincher Review Thread, The

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spliid

by spliid

jpac wrote:What is the general consensus regarding the EDHub w/ Ceramic BB? Looking to buy a pair of the 2014 model, hoping to find out if its worth the extra to get these lighter hubs?

I only had one pair and they needed new bearings after 2-3 months. I realised it since there was suddenly some play in the back wheel. I bought a new wheelset a year later and switched to DTSwiss (still from farsports though)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

i've been riding my farsport 38mm for over a year now and the novatec hub (non-ceremic) is still quiet loud. anyway to make it quieter without affecting of overall roll?

eric

by eric

Take it apart and grease the freehub mechanism.

You can use Krytox (expensive, you can get it from Mcmaster-Carr) or good moly grease. It should not be sticky like wheel bearing grease or the pawls could stick, which could cause injury. You don't need a lot, just a little more than is on there now.

addictR1

by addictR1

Eric.. should I use a degreaser first to remove the original grease?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

asdf123

by asdf123

addictR1 wrote:Eric.. should I use a degreaser first to remove the original grease?

In general mixing grease, oils ect is a no no.

eric

by eric

I just wipe off the old stuff. The remains won't harm the new grease.
If you use a solvent on it then you have to make sure you get all the solvent out so it does not dilute the grease.

arodriguez

by arodriguez

Hi everyone. I've read the whole thread as I'm just about to place order on a 38mm clincher this coming weekend. Still not very clear on some items, as this threas started few years ago, and apparently new technology ha arrived to farsport, getting more confused on what will the perfect wheelset be for my needs:
1) i'm more a climber and my place is lots of mountains. Which rim width will suit me better? 20.5 or the new 23mm, or even the 25mm? I prefer weight reduction without performance penalty. I see more people switching from 20.5 to the other two wides.. Why?
2) not clear difference between the "new" u shape aero. How different it is from the v-shape? Will i need that for climbing?
3) bitex or edhubs? Don't want to pay extra money on what is listed.

Is there something else new in farsport that I shall consider?

Many thxs to all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arodriguez

by arodriguez

Sorry for my gramatical mistakes/horrors, but my native lenguaje is spanish [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eric

by eric

U shape is supposed to be less affected by side winds. When you climb you also have to descend and some times it's windy in the mountains.

My 50mm deep v shaped narrow rims can get blown around some. A few times in extreme winds it's been bad enough to make me slow down.

addictR1

by addictR1

i have the v shape 38mm clincher from FarSport. the width as i recall from previous post was around 20.xxmm wide. i'm currently running with Michellin Pro4 service course for over a year now and riding true even through bumps and some small pot holes.

question... anyone here tried running it with a 700x20 or 700x21 tire? any pros and cons in doing so besides maybe less rubber contact with the road and harsher ride?

eric

by eric

The last time I tried a 20mm tire it rode like a rock and had traction like a rock: none. I like being able to corner.

addictR1

by addictR1

Thanks Eric... my wallet thanks you too... ;)

YoKaiser

by YoKaiser

Can I ask, those who have the 23mm version do you wish that you had went for the 25 if it was available? I'm trying to get a handle on whether the 25mm attributes are worth the weight penalty.

As far as I can see-

23mm comes with the new 2014 braking surface, tubeless compatible but no U shape.

25mm comes with the basalt braking surface, no mention of tubeless, U shaped, 70g weight penalty.

Will the 25 give a better tyre shape for grip and comfort and aerodynamics over the 23? Or is it negligible?

YoKaiser

by YoKaiser

I think I'm answering my own posts here, but I only intend to use 23c and 25c tyres so I think that the 23mm rim will be sufficient.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

I received a new set of 2014 23mm x38mm clinchers. Compared to the 2013 version they are slightly different. They are not as v shape as early branded wheels out there. I really think that they are close to the shape of the 2014 version that is noted to be U shape. They are not torridal at all, which I was hoping for. The set is actually deeper than the 2013 version at closer to 39.5mm deep unlike the earlier version right at 38mm. I had them built the same way as my earlier version Sapin cxray with the CB hubs. The weight came in at 1240 for the set, slightly lower than my 2013 set. They are wider which I was looking for with them right at the 23mm.

I now have 250 miles on them with last weekend a 75 mile hilly ride with a 18% grade, the only thing that I notice they need to hit my local wheel builder ( like the 2013 version) and have the spoke tension cranked up to where they should be. No difference in ride from the earlier version, all great there. On the way out I hammered the brakes down the 18% grade and found that as advertised the tracks stayed cool with the new black pads, and high temp surface. The only odd thing is the track stays rough unlike the Basalt surface and does make a sound like a singing bird at first when cool, it goes away once there is a little heat, not squealing or a bad sound. My group sends me down the hills first to scare away ground squirrels, and deer.

Some may ask why a new set this year, my wife wanted a set so the plan was to give her the experienced 2013 set ;)

Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100