Rockshox RS-1

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

Oh boy, obviously :doh: My mistake.
Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

Varaxis

by Varaxis

jooo wrote:
Varaxis wrote:Looks like a metal "Upper", judging from the first pic, rather than one piece carbon.

What would make you think that? To me the crown shape is very similar to heaps of carbon rigid forks. I'm sure RS would have no issues molding it seeing as the one piece crown/steerer on a SID would be in many ways just as challenging to manufacture.

I am guessing that it's metal due to:

#1 The metallic grain underneath the finish, especially noticeable in the light reflection above the RockShox decal.
#2 How sharp some edges are, such as the cable guides and external material tapering near the bushing area.
#3 How magnesium lowers are cast in one piece and how X-Fusion already has tech to do 1 piece forged CSU, they would have the ability to do this in metal.

Maybe someone who's seen it in person can confirm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jaroslaw

by Jaroslaw

Bikeradar has some new info on the fork:
http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/artic ... ook-40667/
One thing that is really outstanding is the...price :shock:
If I'm not mistaken it's roughly twice the price of Fox and you need a SRAM wheel as well, but I couldn't find the weight of the wheel.
The fork looks nice though :)

JH

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

It's quite heavy...?

And yeah, the price is ridiculous. Also I'd be worried about the fork legs, since they are unprotected.

mattr

by mattr

Probably no worse than having your stanchions directly in the firing line from all the crap coming off the front tyre. And the seals being in an ideal position for the stuff to just sit there, undisturbed.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

seen it before! Back in 2001 Marzocchi made the RAC (inmense fail as it flexed like hell)
This fork seens to be more catered to the all mountain crowd, judging by the bikes that are pictured. Am i right?

'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

mattr

by mattr

Frankie - B wrote:This fork seens to be more catered to the all mountain crowd, judging by the bikes that are pictured. Am i right?
Nope.

BikeRadar wrote:The RS-1 is targeted at World Cup cross-country racing.
And TBH, with 80/100/120mm travel on offer, i'm not surprised.

AdyM

by AdyM

Saw a claimed weight of 1,666g for the 29er? I wonder when forks like this will start to have an aero advantage around the crown?

cerro

by cerro

jooo wrote:It will be interesting to see what the insides of the fork look like. I wonder if it will be pretty standard or maybe some kind of flat/keyed/bearing arrangement to help prevent rotation, or even something non round ala German:A

Varaxis wrote:Looks like a metal "Upper", judging from the first pic, rather than one piece carbon.

What would make you think that? To me the crown shape is very similar to heaps of carbon rigid forks. I'm sure RS would have no issues molding it seeing as the one piece crown/steerer on a SID would be in many ways just as challenging to manufacture.

What German:A fork is that?

Getter

by Getter

Here is a video. Yikes...1865usd! So to get the full potential of the fork...you need the "torque tube"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62_ezUfo5Co

drider85

by drider85

I am a little underwhelmed... $1865, proprietary hub can't I get that with a lefty and be a lot lighter. Is there some redeeming quality I am missing? :noidea:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-ride-rockshox-rs-1-fork--carbon-inverted-expensive-and-for-29ers-only.html

Colin

by Colin

Well, that was pretty underwhelming. 1666g is quite a bit heavier than a SID WC XX. Hell, it's heavier than my Magura TS8 SL which costs half as much and doesn't require a sram hub. I honestly can't imagine this performing that much better, definitely not enough to justify the price.

pam

by pam

SRAM lists the weight of the Rise XX wheelset with a standard light hub and lists the fork weight without hub so they never mention the 50 g penalty of the reinforced front axle. I don't see how an inverted design gives an advantage in any area other than weight and they have failed on that front.

Jrock831

by Jrock831

I hope they will have the fork on a few demo bikes at the Sea Otter classic this week. If so I'll take it for a quick spin down the trails and report back some results.
2004 trek carbon 9.8
2013 giant talon 29er
2001 mongoose XR-500

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com