Suggestions of light steel frames!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Lovely work Catbill, are they Delta brakes?

How's that compared to the Master?

catbill

by catbill

Much appreciated for the kind words and encouragement, Zakalwe.

Yes, they are C-record Delta brakes. There are two versions of Delta. The original Delta with white colour spring like rubber surround just below the cable entry and a later version with black surround. The colour is not the issue. Is the braking tension differ between the two that draw them apart. The white early version require a much stronger braking action/ hand squeeze. Its so hard that if your hands are on the hoods when braking, its almost impossible to stop at will!

The Ciocc is lighter and not as stiff at the bottom bracket if compare with the Colnago Master. I like it more for longer hill climb. The curved forks makes the frame more flexi when off saddle sprinting. The Master feels more solid but not as lively.

Here is my Colnago Master Olympic in shocking purple/pink with full 9 speed alloy Campagnolo Record groupset and Campagnolo sigma rims
Colnago C59 KOM
Colnago Extreme-C KOM
Ciocc Aquila Genius tubing
Colnago Master Olympic

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

That's a lovely AD Master, I've got a similar looking AD10 Master 30th but with a modern build. It's an absolute dream to ride.

catbill

by catbill

Show us pictures please, Zakalwe. Sure like!

I have two "fairly" advance carbon bikes and two old school steel bikes. You can imagine the cross road I am confronting for what I should be getting next! Tough! Very tough!

There is something proportional and the lively sweet ride about steel frame that is so bloody hard to put into words. Right?
Colnago C59 KOM
Colnago Extreme-C KOM
Colnago Master Olympic

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Here you go catbill.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A35Uzl7VJsFhWz

It's the bike I ride the most, currently, even though it's not the lightest bike I've owned. It's a dream to ride.

oldmuthariley

by oldmuthariley

yourdaguy wrote:I believe Rrnolds 953 is a stainless tube set that I have heard is significantly lighter than any of the "steel" tubesets including 853.

953 isn't that light - my 953 tig'd frame is 1800g!!! (gutted considering the price) :?

catbill

by catbill

Thanks for the picture link, Zakalwe. I like it in blue. Very beautiful! :thumbup:

953 weighted at 1800g. That's disappointing. Sorry to say. I know frame weight shouldn't be a factor to be overly concern when considering a steel or stainless steel frame but then, it just not seems to be a welcome surprise. How is the ride anyway? I mean, how does it compare between a stainless and a steel?
Colnago C59 KOM
Colnago Extreme-C KOM
Colnago Master Olympic

oldmuthariley

by oldmuthariley

953 feels harsher than any other steel i've ridden - but also snappier and more responsive when putting an effort in. Need to compensate with a light wheelset to get in under 8kg.

Dammit

by Dammit

I'm aiming for 7kg with mine, pictured up thread.

The components I'm going to use, when on my System Six frame (1,350g) came in at 6.76kg.

That was with 404 FC tubs, I've moved to Stinger 4's, but also changed from 23c Veloflex carbon tubulars to 25c Schwalbe HT's.

looking at 450g additional in the frame, it's going to be tough to hit my target.

User Name

by User Name

oldmuthariley wrote:
953 isn't that light - my 953 tig'd frame is 1800g!!! (gutted considering the price) :?
Crikey! What size?
My two '80s lugged 531s are about 1865g. One's 58 and the other is 56
Last edited by User Name on Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

I had a small sized 953 frameset. One of the earliest on the market from years ago. But it was only 1350g.

Granted its a small frame(size 53), but I wouldn't expect it to go for an extra 200~250g even if its a XL ( ~size 58 ) though ... ??!!

LionelB

by LionelB

953 is not lighter than other steel, it is just stainless. Weight of the frame depends on tubing choices and wall thickness.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Its not lighter as a material, but the strength of the metal allows the use of thinner tube gauges, hence lighters tubes, resulting in a lighter frame for comparable tube diameters and lengths used in a frame.

KB

by KB

LionelB wrote:953 is not lighter than other steel, it is just stainless. Weight of the frame depends on tubing choices and wall thickness.

Agree. I wanted either XCR or 953, but there were issues of getting hold of it. So, I plumped for Spirit, which was lighter than the two stainless sets even when painted. I have two frames in Spirit; one that's tig welded that came out at 1,700g; the other fillet brazed which was 1,800g. Both were painted, both approx size 58 and almost the same geometry.

catbill

by catbill

A few buddies of mine who are total steel freaks love steel and stainless so much that they wouldn't even admit carbon actually exist. They believe carbon comes from burnt left over rotten food and are really nothing more than ashes clued together with poison chemical. They think carbon is evil and carbon dust is the black version of cocaine. Highly priced! :shock: :unbelievable: :roll: :twisted: :?
Colnago C59 KOM
Colnago Extreme-C KOM
Colnago Master Olympic

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com