Bora One 35 vs Ultra 35

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wingguy

by wingguy

Does anyone know if there is any difference in the rims with these wheelsets or is it just the hubs? Looking at the weights and technical info from Campag it sounds like that's all it is, but the insane price difference suggests otherwise.

I find it hard to believe that Campagnolo rate a pair of carbon/ceramic Cult hubs worthy of a £1000+ premium over a set of already excellent alu/steel ones :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ferrarista

by ferrarista

The difference is in the hubs and the bearings. The rim is the same. Its much more expensive to do hubs in carbon than Aluminum. There is only abour 40-50 grams difference between the two. If it was me , I would buy the Bora one and later on change the bearings to the cult.
██

dj97223

by dj97223

As far as I can tell from my own research, the only difference is the hub and bearings -- the ultra hub is carbon and has the cult bearings. I just received a set of One's in Ultra Dark from Ribble. They look "really" sharp, have smooth Campag hubs, etc..
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

wingguy

by wingguy

Thanks guys, that's confirming what I thought but It still doesn't make sense.

Shamals with carbon hub body and USB bearings are only £150 more than Eurus' with Alu hub and steel bearings, RRP on a pair of Cult bearing kits is £160... So how on earth is the Bora Ultra 35 costing another £700 on top of that if they're saying the rims are the same (or at least, they're not saying they're different)?

I think I'm going to have to call the distributor and have a chat.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Not attempting to justify Campagnolo's pricing strategy, but does that pair of bearings include the chronitec races? They would would have to be installed as well. That's one thing that sets the CULT bearings apart from a lot of other ceramic "hybrids". The hybrids may have ceramic bearings, but they're running in untreated steel races. If you're going to go with the Cult bearings, I would also make sure you have the races to match.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ferrarista

by ferrarista

wingguy wrote:Thanks guys, that's confirming what I thought but It still doesn't make sense.

Shamals with carbon hub body and USB bearings are only £150 more than Eurus' with Alu hub and steel bearings, RRP on a pair of Cult bearing kits is £160... So how on earth is the Bora Ultra 35 costing another £700 on top of that if they're saying the rims are the same (or at least, they're not saying they're different)?

It doesn't have to make sense. Campagnolo are not in business to offer the lowest prices. you gotta pay to play!

Carbon hub manufacturing like the new bora 35 is very expensive. These are not like the shamal hubs where the Alu flanges are bonded to a carbon shell. They are made in Italy where labour is much more expensive. I saw the bora ultra 35 wheels up close and they are very sexy and well made. If you don't care about that, get the bora one and save the money. You will get the same riding for less.
██

atakaoka

by atakaoka

I belive that the main diference you will feel ,asside of hub and bearings, will be if you need to service the hub bearings.
Last edited by atakaoka on Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
cycling,a great individual sport,were you can't reach anything,whithout group effort.

LionelB

by LionelB

Going thru the same debate, I have hyperon ultra 2 and bora ultra 2 and they are fantastic. This said I also have record hubs which I guess would be very close to the hubs on the bora one and they are good as well. The premium is difficult to justify but if you want the best it comes at a significant premium. No doubt that the One is a better value.

chiumomo

by chiumomo

wingguy wrote:Thanks guys, that's confirming what I thought but It still doesn't make sense.

Before you call the distributor, I want to let you know that Eurus have a heavier rim than Shamal.
And I believe the Bore one 35 have a heavier rim than Bora ultra 35 too, because carbon hub shell doesn't save much weight.
For reference , the rear hub of Bora one is 286g, and Bora Ultra 2 is 284g.

LionelB

by LionelB

chiumomo wrote:Before you call the distributor, I want to let you know that Eurus have a heavier rim than Shamal.
And I believe the Bore one 35 have a heavier rim than Bora ultra 35 too, because carbon hub shell doesn't save much weight.

where did you get that info ? Sounds bogus to me, the bora one and bora ultra have the same rim.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

chiumomo wrote:
wingguy wrote:

Before you call the distributor, I want to let you know that Eurus have a heavier rim than Shamal.

Wrong information you got there about the bora 35. Bora one and ultra have the same rim. Even in the spare parts catalog they have the same part number.
The only difference between them is the carbon hubs and the cult bearings. The carbon hubs are about 45grams less than the Aluminum ones. Yes not that much weight saving, but they are as strong and i'm sure stiffer.
██

chiumomo

by chiumomo

ferrarista wrote:
chiumomo wrote:
wingguy wrote:

Wrong information you got there about the bora 35. Bora one and ultra have the same rim. Even in the spare parts catalog they have the same part number.
The only difference between them is the carbon hubs and the cult bearings. The carbon hubs are about 45grams less than the Aluminum ones. Yes not that much weight saving, but they are as strong and i'm sure stiffer.

Are you sure?
Bora ultra 2's hub weight:
Bora one's hub weight:
Last edited by chiumomo on Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

We don't see your pictures. Either way the part numbers don't lie. The replacement rims for either bora one , bora ultra 2 and bora one 35 and bora ultra 35 have the same part numbers.

Take a look.
http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/doc/doccatid_3.jsp

I have not seen the hubs on their own so I cannot say exactly, but in your pics do the hubs have the same freehub body? shimano freehub are heavier since they are made of steel.
██

chiumomo

by chiumomo

No need to quote above

photo fixed, both shimano freehub body

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com