Campagnolo overtorque vs. mixed Shimano 9000/stages/campag

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

owl

by owl

I am in a bit of a dilemma - the Campagnolo Overtorque chainset is the one I have been waiting for a few years, 30mm axle with BSA BB and Campagnolo aesthetics. I want to pull the trigger but.......

The stages power meter is affordable and I have wanted to train with power meter for a few years but SRM is beyond my wallet I am not convinced by powertap, quarq etc. The issue is that I would purchase a Dura Ace 9000 chainset and stages which I am sure is stiff and smooth, but it would be an aesthetic jumble.

How well will Dura Ace 9000 chainset work with Campag 10sp chain, my guess is very well, I would appreciate everyones thoughts
Owl

davidalone

by davidalone

have you considered power2max campy? cheaper than SRM. Around the same price level as Quarq for higher end models, but with more model compatibility. if you're buying a stages WITH the right crankarm the power2max will not be much more expensive.

http://www.power2max.de/europe/en/Produ ... peed-road/

why you would not be convinced with Quarq and powertap but convinced with Stages? Quarq and powertap have been around a long long time and customer service with both have been good. Stages support may be difficult depending on where you are. and there is the disadvantage of left only power. it's not much of a disadvantage, but it still is one.

I'll admit I have no experience with power2max, ( I use a quarq) but I was seriously considering one and only went with quarq because of a good deal. if you're in europe or the US I'd go power2max . I'd only heard good things about them so far.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Why have you been waiting ages for a 30mm axle and BSA Campagnolo crank? The whole point of OverTorque is to offer cranks compatible with press fit BB30, no?

And then decide to go with a 24mm DA crank to use stages?

Seems bizzare, when there's Power2Max coming in May at roughly the same price as Vectors. If you want to train with power cheaply, build a Powertap wheelset for maximum value.

owl

by owl

Thanks for the responses

davidalone - Not keen on powertap as I would prefer a crank based syste, to allow me to change wheels etx. I will check out power2max though if the pricing is similar

zakalwe - my frame is towards the end of its lifetime, so a 30mm axle crank which fits most bb types will give me maximum choice for next frame.
Owl

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

What frame have you got now, and what do you think you'll be getting in future?

There's a chance that Campag OT won't fit your current BB anyway.

owl

by owl

Hi Zakalwe

It is a Marco Bertoletti aluminium custom frame - BSA bb. The UK distibutor seems to think the external BSA outboard cups are being released in 2 weeks time for OT.

Looking at a Ridley Fenix for a stiff and durable frameset which is PF30
Owl

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Just had a quick look for OT cups, and was stunned by the price for press-in ............$157 CAN or 96.75 GBP. WTF????

I thought I was past getting shocked by Campy prices, but this?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-over-torque-usb-bb-cups/

Please tell me it's a typo.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

LionelB

by LionelB

owl wrote:It is a Marco Bertoletti aluminium custom frame -

i'd like to see that !

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

bikerjulio wrote:Just had a quick look for OT cups, and was stunned by the price for press-in ............$157 CAN or 96.75 GBP. WTF????

I thought I was past getting shocked by Campy prices, but this?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-over-torque-usb-bb-cups/

Please tell me it's a typo.

That's for the cups and the higher spec USB bearings. The cups + standard bearings are 43.19 GBP.

Much cheaper at Ribble though, 22.25 - 35.99 GBP (standard) or 69.99 - 83.99 GBP (USB) depending on type of cup.

g00se

by g00se

If you can hold fire for a few months on a power meter that'll work with standard Campag cranks - and that should come in at the bottom end of the power meter price range - google "Brim Brothers".

davidalone

by davidalone

there are tons of adaptors for crank systems out now made by fine companies like praxis, rotor, wheels manufacturing to combine lots of systems together. I would go the power2max crank campy and forget about it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

@bikerjulio - the OverTorque bearings also (to some extent) compensate for out of concentricity / alignment BB shells, can be an issue in BB30PF and related systems where the BB shell is made from composite and where the tolerances in these regards are difficult to control.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!