Do you have to earn your equipment with skill?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Skorp
Shop Wrench

by Skorp

spud wrote:I admit I did not read the whole thread, but here's my two cents - I like nice gear, and I have it. No reason you shouldn't if you have the $ to spend.

But...I've been riding a long time, and I know what I like. There is definitely a risk that you splash out big $ for whatever, then with a little time on it you find it doesn't suit you. For instance handle bars. Buy latest greatest carbon bars only to discover you'd prefer a deeper drop, or a shorter reach, whatever. furthermore, as you spend more time on the bike, your position may well change. What was a prefect fit 6 months ago may now be too short in the top tube, too long in the head tube, etc.

At the end of the day, most of us are working with limited resources, so it helps to be really informed about the gear you are buying.

Just read your update - you are on the right track...

Yeah, with handlebars i have really no clue at all!
I am willing to try some bars before i feel comfy.. I guess the Ritchey handlebar is pretty safe, i belive i like shallow bars..
I have four different stems @7*: 90 to 130mm so i cab try some positions. The fork do also have the option to use some spacers.
The geo of the frame is maybe a little bit harsh for a newb?

eric

by eric

Frame geometry doesn't determine ride so much on modern CF bikes. Not like it did on steel frames.
You could have a stiff bike with laid back angles, long wheelbase and high head tube or a cushy frame with a tight wheelbase and low head tube (although there might not be much of a market for either of those). Frame member cross section and CF layup determines the ride.

But geometry does determine the fit envelope. For example a low head tube limits bar height, a long top tube means the reach has to be at least a certain length, and seat tube angle determines the range of adjustment for seat position.

I don't know Giant products but I assume that the fit envelope on this frame is for a racing position. Which means that you will be riding in more or less a racing position. It takes time to adapt to it. For example when I came back to road riding at age 41 I had to raise the bars a couple inches on my old race bike. I had been doing motorcycle trials and riding MTBs, not road race bikes. I've lowered the bars about three inches in the last 12 years.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bricky21

by bricky21

Skorp wrote:Don't be so harsh!

Sorry.

I just find it annoying when HOBBYISTS start in with the "earn your stripes" crap. Not limited to cycling btw.

Skorp
Shop Wrench

by Skorp

No probs!

I realize now that nobody really cares..
I realize that i really don't care when im riding AM either. I have a simple steel hardtail frame, solid wheels, cheap but good Rock Shox fork and cheap brakes on big discs..

We have two guys wich is totally new, proper nice people.
These have been riding road some years..
One guy bought a 6000$ Yeti as his first bike. The other guy bought a 3600$ GT as his first bike, rode that for one year and now recently he bought a Mondraker with a RSP price of 6900$
Eventough im a more experienced rider i didn't think a second about it! My bike has cost me 1400$..

I have met guys which is basically worse than any kid on the street with 6000$ DH bikes..I can think bad thoughts about these.. :roll:
That would be like watching a 300lbs guy who hasn't moved his fat ass the last couple of years on a brand new top spec dogma.

If i show up on the most expensive roadbike there is.. doesn't matter! I will be judged how i treat people, and how good i ride.

Skorp
Shop Wrench

by Skorp

Ah, got my Addict yesterday.
Feels soo good with a 56cm frame instead of 60cm!
Its incredible stiff and agile compared to the Cannondale. :)

DMF

by DMF

One thing that does bother me, is when rookies/hobbyists on top end gear looks down on people with lesser bikes, who in fact clearly have superior skills. It's a rookie mistake ofcourse, but a too common one that I see out on the roads quite often. The punishment is they'll get dropped like never before on the next hill ofcourse, but it still sort of annoys me, the pure ignorance...

Bit of a rant there, forgive me...

avispa

by avispa

The other day I had a heated discussion with a friend that switched from a Colnago C59 to a Titanium Firefly. Me on the other hand switched from a Colnago C59 to a Pinarello Dogma 65.1. My friend started to insist that I should move up to something "better". He said that the future of bikes is one these handmade custom bikes, therefore I should follow his steps.

I told my friend that one of the reasons I love cycling is because it is a sport with room for everyone and every desire. I see my bikes as a tool to help me ride hard, fast and they have to be super reliable. I could care less if they are handmade or are the way of the future.

Now is the Firefly making him a better rider/person? Is the Pinarello making me a better rider/person? The answer to those questions is yes! It is making him a better rider because he is happy with his rig and feels that he had something custom made for him. I am very happy with my Pinarello because it fits me better and I feel like a "pro", since I can see better wattage on my power metter with the same or less effort. Whether you ride TT's, Road, are a bike messenger or just want to ride the local critical mass, there is a bike out there for you.

The morale: get want you want, but most importantly what fits you best and try to get some bike that may have a good resale value later on. I like what most of you have mentioned here, but I am particularly keen of what SpinnerTim said: "If you want an incentive, you can adopt the attitude that you earn your equipment with effort, not skill."

Cheers,

..A..

mrfish

by mrfish

An expensive bike shows passion in the hobby and the skill to earn money elsewhere to pay for it.

Some less fit riders of expensive bikes have no idea about cycling but wanted a nice bike, others perhaps raced for many years but now prefer eating to getting the miles in. In this respect it's like Ferrari ownership or art collecting - you don't need to be a racing driver or artist to get pleasure from ownership.

If you can afford it buy the bike you want. If you improve, rather than buying yourself a present when you meet a goal, do something nice for someone else such as your significant other who enabled you to spend hours at the weekend out training.

Nebby

by Nebby

DMF wrote:One thing that does bother me, is when rookies/hobbyists on top end gear looks down on people with lesser bikes, who in fact clearly have superior skills. It's a rookie mistake of course, but a too common one that I see out on the roads quite often. The punishment is they'll get dropped like never before on the next hill of course, but it still sort of annoys me, the pure ignorance...

Bit of a rant there, forgive me...

I agree totally; there's no problem buying a nice bike if they can afford it, but that doesn't mean they get to automatically look down on other folks.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

To the original question in this thread, the answer is yes... if you want it for free.

If you go out and buy your gear, then you haven't earned it. Maybe you've earned the money with which you bought it, but only sponsored riders truly earn their gear.

Zoro

by Zoro

Skorp wrote:...
Do you think i have to earn my equipment with skill?
Only the skill you need to get it paid for by your occupation, or sponsors.

aerozy

by aerozy

When I bump into an amateur with top gear I usually think to my self "good for you". People should be able to spend their money on whatever they feel like. They share my passion for high end gear and the more the merrier.

As for the arrogant fred I think in many situations the arrogance actually comes from the "wannabe racer". Something in the line of "I work my ass off training and I cant afford to ride anything better why should you?". This attitude annoys me even more than the rich fred.
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

dgran

by dgran

I don't judge what other people choose to ride but I do set personal goals for my equipment choices. One my goals is to ride under an hour in 40km time trial with a road bike before I will consider a time trial bike. If I can get that fast then I'm sure I'll appreciate the benefit of the equipment. I'm not saying everyone has to do this, but I find it helpful to keep my mind on the engine.

centhar

by centhar

When I started riding long ago, I was on a barely entry level, laxed geo steel tourer. After a year, I dropped a ton of weight and got race fit. I liked cycling so much, that I wanted to race. I got a Benotto 3000 as my first race bike. "I" earn it.... I was fit... I was FAST!

Back then, a race rig came with 52x42, five 14-18(21) cogs and tubies. Be it top of the line or not, you had to have the skills and fitness to be able to ride one. Only the seriously fit recreational rider or racer would be seen on them. Fitness and skill, one can never buy. There was no such thing as a "bike snob"... just jealousy from the looks of average riders at your corn cob cogs, fitness, and thin form.

But now, you got 12k carbon "racing", team bikes with compact cranks, deep carbon clinchers, pie plate cassettes, big head tubes, up turned stems and fat tires catering to anyone willing to pay. Anyone can ride them with no fitness or skills. Snobbery has come to bikes hand in hand like other expensive items.

I still feel that I need to earn it with fit and skill, but don't look down on others without... However, if one tries... and I do say tries to look down on me and my piddly CAAD9, they will get dropped.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zoro

by Zoro

Some guys wouldn't date a model unless they thought they looked as good. Others would.