Advice: Titanium Frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cadence90

by cadence90

bobalou wrote:
cadence90 wrote:I know this may sound ridiculous, but that is one frame I would only reluctantly buy, just because of the graphics: I really can't stand the retro WWII attitude and looks....As a bike though, I think you're right, a friend has one and loves it and my LBS thinks they're as good if not better than new Litespeed/Merlin, esp. for the money. He's very down on post-ABG-acquisition bikes, thinks the QC has decreased dramatically (because his repair work load is up!!!).

You know, I agree with you.. glad you said it and not me. I bet you could order one with a decal delete. Your friend say what their customer service is like?

Decal delete would be great. I wonder if they'd be offended, :wink:
My friend didn't order direct. Our LBS had one in, in his size, new. Got a great deal I guess, and he has absolutely no complaints (except when I razz him about the decals (always) and he has to agree of course. :lol:
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

cadence90

by cadence90

martin wrote:you might consider a Rewel. http://www.rewel.com
This is an italian company (south tyrolean, to be more precise) that has years of experience (at least since 1988) working with Ti only and make *very* nice frames.
They have very competitive prices, the website lists 1350 for a stock Ti frame.

You can also have a frame made to measure, there's a web interface for posting your measures and they'll get back to you with a price estimate.

On top of that, they are very nice to deal with; a guy i know went there to pick up his new MTB-frame and the Rewel people moved the parts from his old bike to the new frame at no additional fee.
Martin

Martin, I sent Rewel a note with geometry, 2 days later the drawings arrived! These people seem very competent and professional.
Do you own a Rewel, or have experience with them?
How is the weld quality?
Are the tubes certified, do you know where the ti comes from?
They sent me a contact name in Boulder, CO. I wonder if they outsource their USA deliveries to a builder in the US?
I have sent all these questions to them, but anything more you could tell me would be appreciated. Thanks. :)
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rippin

by Rippin

Here's another company you may want to try:
http://www.epicti.com

Made in Canada and affordable.

Delpi

by Delpi

This is another italian company:

www.nevi.it
Attachments
Nevi Titanium Stem.jpg
Nevi.jpg
Ciao Zauri

bobalou

by bobalou

Rippin wrote:Here's another company you may want to try:
http://www.epicti.com

Made in Canada and affordable.

Their "Record Ultralight" build kit reads like a WW's cookbook. But no prices listed for any of their products/frames. I guess since they're in canada it's a currency discount. :?

http://www.epicti.com/campagnolo_road_kits.htm

cadence90

by cadence90

No kidding :!:
I wrote them, I'll see what the prices are. Do you know anyone who has owned one?

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

Yeah but the Epic Ti is made by Dean :?
Ride lightly!

cadence90

by cadence90

Is Dean the outsource for a lot of fabricators?
I'm wondering if they're also doing US-ordered Rewels....
Ye Olde, you're from around here, besides Holland and Kish do you know other SoCal ti builders? Any experience with either of those guys?

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

cadence90 wrote:Is Dean the outsource for a lot of fabricators?
I'm wondering if they're also doing US-ordered Rewels....
Ye Olde, you're from around here, besides Holland and Kish do you know other SoCal ti builders? Any experience with either of those guys?

I think Dean does supply a few real small one man outfits. I wouldn't think Rewel would have someone making their frames here, that's their business staple, actually making the frames. You could ask them though.

I don't know any other Ti builders down here, I have no experience with either, but Hollands work is stunning.

Unless you need something out there in sizing, why not get like a 2003 Merlin on special from Hi-Tech?
Ride lightly!

cadence90

by cadence90

I'll look into that, I'd like to go to SD to check out Holland anyway.
I'm a bit iffy on newer Merlin/Litespeed, their QC has either gone down or TZ gets only the bad ones!

Rippin

by Rippin

Ye Olde Balde One wrote:Yeah but the Epic Ti is made by Dean :?

Well then, forget that suggestion.....

cadence90

by cadence90

Are Moots as superior as everyone seems to claim?

nikh

by nikh

cadence90 wrote:Are Moots as superior as everyone seems to claim?

Some of the finest welds you'll ever see IMO.

IF are pretty much up there aswell. Ex Fat Chance employees and Merlin also.
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

cadence90

by cadence90

Rippin wrote:
Ye Olde Balde One wrote:Yeah but the Epic Ti is made by Dean :?

Well then, forget that suggestion.....

Dean production times get bashed again:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=1972&highlight=kish

martin

by martin

cadence90 wrote:
martin wrote:you might consider a Rewel. http://www.rewel.com
Martin

Martin, I sent Rewel a note with geometry, 2 days later the drawings arrived! These people seem very competent and professional.
Do you own a Rewel, or have experience with them?
How is the weld quality?
Are the tubes certified, do you know where the ti comes from?
They sent me a contact name in Boulder, CO. I wonder if they outsource their USA deliveries to a builder in the US?
I have sent all these questions to them, but anything more you could tell me would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

unfortunately i can't tell you much more about the bicycles, as i've never ridden one personally. Also i don't know which tubing they use.
I've seen several, though, and i've always admired the welding - couldn't see any difference to the much-praised big names.

Martin
Snowman and Strong Walker
Scott Sc
my old stuff
my new stuff

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com