Suggestions of light steel frames!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

SWijland wrote:I currently have a Fausto Coppi Steel C.F. frame up for sale (Columbus FOCO) and it weighs just 1510 grams for a size 56.

I just got in a second Coppi Steel C.F. in a size 52 with the exact same colors as the size 56. Guess what, it is heavier :noidea: . Only by 15 grams, but still. I guess that if you would like to build a lightweight steel frame, having enough tubing to chose from is a big bonus seeing as apparently not every piece has the same weight.

boolinwall

by boolinwall

If only Foco still existed. Mind you, I'm pretty sure that Spirit is foco with different tube shapes and butting. I may be wrong though. I love the look of Coppi frames. Always great lines and just enough flash to be noticed, but not over the top. Is it all steel or half steel, half carbon? My Cinelli spirit was no pig, but the carbon rear end helped bring down the weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

The Coppi was 100% steel.

I thought that Foco is now Life and Ultrafoco now Spirit. That is why I was so surprised that the Coppi Foco frame weighed less than anything I have seen before.

nickf

by nickf

Looking for a steel replacement for my caad9. So far I'm looking at the rodrezuez outlaw frame. He can build a full steel frame at around 1.3kg. Not bad at all. Who else is building weenie steel? English was on the top of my list but he is 2 years out on the next spot. A lot of builders offer a S3/Columbus blend build but all seem to come in around 1.6kg.

LionelB

by LionelB

If you want a steel frame that handles and rides great and lasts too, you should not put weight as the top priority. There is a reason why most "light" steel frame come in around 1600g.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

I believe Rrnolds 953 is a stainless tube set that I have heard is significantly lighter than any of the "steel" tubesets including 853.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

To a certain extent, it depends how much a builder is willing to trade durability (also against dents, crashes, etc) for weight. Black Cat Bicyles for example is offering lighter tubing options for road bikes, and has been doing steel with a (non-obvious) carbon fiber top+seat tube (somewhat similar to what Rob English has been doing). Also they look the best. One may dream.

sungod

by sungod

as above, reynolds 953, or columbus xcr, allow lighter steel frames - weight for weight these are same/stronger than ti, the only downside is price

shimmeD

by shimmeD

English's wait time ballooned from 1yr when I ordered mine to 2yrs now - it may be worth the wait, since he has won the best Campagnolo bike at NAHBS 2014.

Probably mentioned before and recommended by ww members: Meech, Tonic, Dornbox
Less is more.

de zwarten

by de zwarten

Jaegher makes Colombus Xcr frames they claim are around 1400 gms (Ascender: http://jaegher.com/Lh7V6Ir). They also build niobium frames called Interceptor (http://jaegher.com/LaosIJR) Don't know about waiting times etc but maybe worth a call/mail.

Grill

by Grill

shimmeD wrote:English's wait time ballooned from 1yr when I ordered mine to 2yrs now - it may be worth the wait, since he has won the best Campagnolo bike at NAHBS 2014.

I put my deposit down in August and my delivery date isn't until December 2015 :(

shimmeD

by shimmeD

It's worth the wait, mate! :thumbup: Very nice Christmas present
Less is more.

nickf

by nickf

After looking and looking going to go with mosaic. The RS-1. They say f/f/h weigh in under 4lbs. $3100 PF30bb, internal rear brake, enve 1.0, king headset, spectrum paint. Goal is 15lbs.

Dammit

by Dammit

1,800g

catbill

by catbill

My humble sharing. An early 90's Ciocc made from Genius tubing. Genius was one of the last old school tube set before Columbus started introducing the modern and current series such as the Xcr, Spirit etc. Claim to be around 1,600g for a medium size frame in differential shape triple butted with wall thickness as low as 0.4mm in select areas.

If you prefer old school steel frame, perhaps consider to look out for Columbus Genius, EL or Nemo tubing. They were mostly made in the early 90's around the time when carbon tubing start becoming the norm.

Colnago C59 KOM
Colnago Extreme-C KOM
Ciocc Aquila Genius tubing
Colnago Master Olympic

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com