"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

jockster

by jockster

cesemo

by cesemo

Very impressive performance from Movistar Team.. I think they really work hard on their time trial position.. Especially when Quintana beats Contador and Kreuziger. Not to mention Malori beats the big guns on Time trial.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

And nice showing by Sir Wig. But I'm sick of the Pinarellos doing so well. I've got a deep dislike for companies which mislead or outright lie about product mass, and Pinarello is about the worst there is in this regard.

stuka666

by stuka666

Movistar seem to have a nice backup team for the mountains aswell.. let's see.

ScuderiaDouroux

by ScuderiaDouroux

djconnel wrote:...I'm sick of the Pinarellos doing so well. I've got a deep dislike for companies which mislead or outright lie about product mass, and Pinarello is about the worst there is in this regard.

I'm sure Fausto is shedding a tear for you. :roll:
Long live the horizontal top tube, standard crankset, and Italian threaded bottom bracket.

KWalker

by KWalker

I think the fact that people still buy them in droves and they appear to be great racing frames bolsters my counter argument which is that outside of yourself and a handful of people on this forum, no one gives a shit about their weight claims.

To me its sort of like buying a car assuming the manufacturer's HP specs are 100% precise when, in reality, its often measured as BHP and not WHP and can differ depending on the type of dynamometer, tires, drivetrain wear, etc. In the end if I buy a Ferrari and the claim is off, its still a damn nice car and capable of doing everything they advertise.
Last edited by KWalker on Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Permon

by Permon

djconnel wrote:And nice showing by Sir Wig. But I'm sick of the Pinarellos doing so well. I've got a deep dislike for companies which mislead or outright lie about product mass, and Pinarello is about the worst there is in this regard.

My Dogma is 1180grams including hanger and seatpost collar.
Total bike weight 6,9kg.
I DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE WEIGHT, ´CAUSE THE RIDE IS A DREAM!
I am pretty much sure, SKY riders feel it the same way.

djconnel

by djconnel

Weight Weenies get no respect. Sigh. I should find a forum where they're more welcome.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Personally and despite the troubled past, I really like Contador as a rider. I think the guy has style, aggression, fantastic instincts, and panache like few left in the peloton these days. His performance and stage wins in Tirreno were awesome and long overdue. However, I wonder how much of it is peaking form at a time when others are nowhere near their top performance. Also, how much of it is due to Froome not being there. Begs the question: Did he win the race with great performance or did others loose it with a crappy showing? Either way, it was a personal pleasure for me to see him win!!

ScuderiaDouroux

by ScuderiaDouroux

djconnel wrote:Weight Weenies get no respect. Sigh. I should find a forum where they're more welcome.

You got a reaction because what you said was pure hate on the success of a brand you don't like, not because you're a "weight weenie." It's basically equivalent to you saying "I'm sick of Infiniti-Red Bull Racing doing so well. I've got a deep dislike for companies who claim that I will grow wings from consuming their energy drink." :lol:

Haters gonna hate...
Long live the horizontal top tube, standard crankset, and Italian threaded bottom bracket.

KWalker

by KWalker

djconnel wrote:Weight Weenies get no respect. Sigh. I should find a forum where they're more welcome.

Not no respect. Weight is but one aspect of a product and one that is most often trivial in cycling circle, especially amongst amateurs where power, power/weight, and lack of skills are the biggest limiters.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

russianbear

by russianbear

ScuderiaDouroux wrote:

You got a reaction because what you said was pure hate on the success of a brand you don't like, not because you're a "weight weenie." It's basically equivalent to you saying "I'm sick of Infiniti-Red Bull Racing doing so well. I've got a deep dislike for companies who claim that I will grow wings from consuming their energy drink." :lol:

Haters gonna hate...

It's completely ok to hate Vettel and bask in the shadenfreude of him grenading 9 laps into the race.

Dogmas are pretty sexy, is what I'm concerned with.

djconnel

by djconnel

In any case, I forgot Moviestar is on Canyon this year, and since I like Canyon (who are very honest about most if not all aspects of their bikes) I feel better.

jooo

by jooo

dgasmd wrote:Personally and despite the troubled past, I really like Contador as a rider.

Sorry, I don't share your feelings. Contador (and Valverde) are filthy cheats who've even been stupid enough to get caught! They've shown no remorse despite suspensions and as a result, their performances should be pretty insulting to even the mostly remotely switched on fan IMO. At the very least, they could finish off their careers quietly with a whole lot of underachieving rides like the last couple of years for Basso or Cunego.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ScuderiaDouroux

by ScuderiaDouroux

djconnel wrote:In any case, I forgot Moviestar is on Canyon this year, and since I like Canyon (who are very honest about most if not all aspects of their bikes) I feel better.

You're singling out Pinarello as the most egregious "deceitful" frame maker. They clearly state that their claimed frame weights are based on a "raw" frame, meaning without paint, derailleur hanger or seat clamp. The paint schemes on these frames can vary anywhere from 50-80 grams from each other, which is quite a bit. Makes sense to me...

I don't see folks perpetually bitching about brands like Cannondale after they plastered ad after ad about their "695 gram* WORLD'S LIGHTEST PRODUCTION BIKE" 2012 Evo Ultimate frame, which actually comes in anywhere from 725 to 800 grams. Then there's the "normalized" frame weight rubbish which many manufacturers use. Pinarello has never made frame weight its selling point, yet folks on this site are always talking trash, even though brands chasing victory in the weight weenie wars are consistently deceptive. They seem to get a pass.

Bottom line: HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE. People tend to hate on success.