light clincher road wheel set - help lighten my Argon

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ANV

by ANV

Hi guys,

I'm new here. So don't blame me :)
I bought my self in autom an Argon 18 Galium 2014. I got it with a 105group and a fulcrum 5 set. I would like to upgrade some parts now.
First of all I thought of buying a new Wheelset. I live basically in the Alps so I usually ride Mountains. I tested the zipp 202 but I am just to skared of melting the glue while going down a decent. Although I am just 67KG.. I allow looked at the R-Sys SLR C wheel set. But they didn't convince me either. Right now I am leaning to built a custom wheel set.
Let me know your thoughts?
BTW. My bike:
http://www.pedalroom.com/bike/argon-gallium-13772

Thank you very much and have a good week!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Attermann

by Attermann

Fulcrum Racing 0!

Marin

by Marin

Nice bike! What kind of bag is that?

I'm building myself a set of wheels using Bitex hubs, Velocity A23 alu rims and DT Revo spokes - should come in around 1400grams and under 250€.

I already have a set of 1300g carbon clinchers, but I also don't really like the braking so far, though I am still experimenting with pads. I also ride a lot of alpine passes, and I'm planning to use the alu wheels for the steeper ones.

-Marin
Last edited by Marin on Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ANV

by ANV

Hi Martin,

That idea sounds pretty good! Thank you!
It's a vischacha Saddle bag from relevant design. Here you find the talk of prolly:http://prollyisnotprobably.com/2012/10/about-to-goyonder/#1
and here the link to their website: https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.c ... s/Viscacha.
I really like the bag. If your intention is to be touring lightweight it is the perfect bag. For me it has enough space for 3 days in Summer. But you can also make it smaller. Only negative about is, that i don't have any space left to mount my rear light and when you are in the climb and you are dancing in the pedals it is a bit habituation. Because if it is real full it will go from the left to the right. But when riding in the saddle, then it is really perfect. :)

- amadeus

syncmaster

by syncmaster

You can mount the rear light to your seatstays no problem. I don't see anything taking space there now.

I mount my Serfas Thunderbolt lights to my seatstays like this all the time:

The only problem with this is that up close they may be out of direct view from a driver sitting in their car, but they're so bright, they are still effective.

ANV

by ANV

hahha Ok the topic changed a bit. I allow ended up putting mine there. But I had to wrap some rim tape around it. My Knogs are to wide. I might consider to buy new ones. Thank you!

wojchiech

by wojchiech

If you don't care about the wide rim trend, Kinlin XR19w rims are about 408g average per rim, ~20 g heavier than the xr-200, but have eyelets so are easier to build and last longer. I built a wheelset with the XR19w using sapim laser spokes, alloy nipples, Shimano 6800 hubs for smoothness/durability. I have ridden them for two seasons now with no maintenance besides cleaning the brake tracks every couple thousand kms. Total weight came in at 1615g w/ veloplugs (not bad since the 6800 hubs are 490g by themselves [actual weight i measured]). With lightweight hubs you can easily get around 1200g for a wheelset that will handle rough mountainous roads and last at least a season or two.

ttoc6

by ttoc6

No need to quote above

I've been eyeing the XR-19W's as an all purpose wheel (and also as a project rim to learn how to build wheels). Would you recommend this? I kinda blew out my shimano R510 wheels in a pothole after two years of riding.. (I'm the same-ish weight as OP 145 lbs/ 65 kg)

ANV

by ANV

hi,
thank you! I think i'll built up an XR-200 set. What do you think about novatec hubs? Or would you recommend to spend more money to get something fairly nicer? DT swiss or chris king?

Best,
Amadeus

Marin

by Marin

Novatec are quite good, I run them on my MTB, plus they are lighter and cheaper than the "nicer" hubs.

ANV

by ANV

Hi guys,

I am getting more and more addicted to the idea of a bike around 6.8Kg. I know it's still a long way to go..
I typed in all the weights of the parts and now I would like to know from you, with which new part I can save the most weight without spending too much money. I am still a student. :) So here is the link.

Thanks in advance. The zipp 202 were only borrowed :(

http://www.pedalroom.com/bike/argon-gallium-13772

Best regarded and ride safe!

weightLight

by weightLight

Spend less, eat less, drop weight, pretty simple really.

ANV

by ANV

weightLight wrote:Spend less, eat less, drop weight, pretty simple really.

My BMI is 18.8 and I am vegan.. But thank's!

deltree

by deltree

Free: Chop your steerer, lose the saddle bag, trim the RD cable.

Else, Dura-Ace FD, Planet-x CNC brakes and change the pedals.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

If that saddlebag is a Blackburn Barrier, it has about the same BMI as ANV. About 20 grams. I've never seen anything else like it.