Wide rim Fulcrum Zeros vs. Hand builts

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

123GO

by 123GO

Last October I bought a new Colnago EPQ frameset and used parts I already had for the build so it’s a bit hodgepodged - Calnago and others have builds that would put mine to shame but I'm a fatty so having the latest and greatest wouldn't have made me any faster! The build turned out to be greater than the sum of the parts and it's a fantastic bike that I'm very happy with.

Now on to the rim question. Initially I used a set of Fulcrum 5’s that were adequate but nothing special. They were the rims that were on my previous bike and I wanted to use the same: rim/tire/air pressure for comparison. I then put on a set of handbuilts (which I'm currently riding) that are 36 spoke Campy Moskva 80s laced 3x with a 10 speed 12 – 25 cassette on 7900 Dura Ace hubs and DT Spokes. The handbuilts are noticeably better than the Fulcrum 5’s. However, the brake track isn’t that good and the rim has some damage and I’d like to replace them. I want to go to a 11 speed cassette and the 7900 DA’s are spaced for 10.

My current weight is 190 pounds and I’ve been dropping weight (albeit slowly) steadily with the final goal of 175. Based on my riding style and the area I live I’m interested in stiff, light and strong (yes I know this won’t be cheep!) vs. aero. I run Shimano and have heard that Fulcrum will be going to a wider rim bed at some point in 2014. A wide rim Fulcrum 1 or Zero’s would fit the bill but I’m curious if a set of handbuilts would be as stiff and light – I know they would be as strong if not stronger.

Thanks for the input and safe riding.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

Would you consider lacing a set of wider rims to the DA 7900 hubs that you're already on? Perhaps you could lace the Pacenti SL23 to that hubset. That is a super durable rim with a consistent finish and a nice brake track and joint. It should yield a smooth ride quality and when matched with those hubs you will have an absolutely bomber daily driver wheelset.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Pacenti of DA hubs nice. I have done Pacenti on WI T11 hubs and they are very nice.

r_mutt

by r_mutt

where did you get your info about Fulcrum going to a wide rim?

Stefano

by Stefano

Seems to me he said that he was going to 11s, so the 7900s are definitely out of the question. Something to consider- Campagnolo Record hubs are among the best, and since all 11s is now compatible, you could use them on your (presumably) shimano or sram drivetrain. Then lace those to something nice, like the pacenti rims mentioned above. I personally love my H Plus Son rims in hard ano, they look the business and were really true and round out of the box. Nothing but good things to say about them :)

As far as the Fulcrums, if you have the option to go handbuilt, I would chose that every time. Easier service, stronger, potential to be as stiff as you can take them, and if you're not concerned about aero, being able to have more spokes means less unsupported rim area, so you can use a lighter rim like the DT r415 or kinlin xr19w or the like.

Anyways, happy riding!

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Because Campagnolo rules! :wink:
Less is more.

luckypuncheur

by luckypuncheur

My experiences with Fulcrum/Campa wheels are absolutely excellent (Racing 0, 1, 5, Zondas). Honestly better than with all my handbuilt wheels (stiffness, weight, durability).
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

123GO

by 123GO

Hey guys,

I heard about Fulcrums going to a wide rim from a friend of a friends cousin who's brother...

Actually, my buddy's wife is Italian and he travels there each summer and rides with a local racer who has an in with Campy. He didn't say when they were going to the wider rim but that it's definitely in the works.

123GO

by 123GO

Also thanks for the insight about the wheels. I found a used set of Fulcrum Zeros that will work until the wide rim Fulcrums come out.

luckypuncheur

by luckypuncheur

Good choice! As said, a near perfect aluminium clincher wheelset. Hope you enjoy them too.
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com