Moving from an Aliante

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

My Aliante is a WW nono. Has anyone moved to something significantly lighter with the same comfort? I defo need help here...

bombertodd

by bombertodd

I switched from an Aliante VS with Kium rails 258g to a Prologo Scratch Plus 143mm 266g. You can cross the prologo off your list.

Interested to hear if there is anything out there. Have you looked for a full carbon saddle with the Aliante shape?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

Absolutely nothing is as comfortable as an Aliante. The carbon railed ones are fairly light but rather expensive.

I got a good s/h deal on a Prologo Scratch Pro Nack. It's a similar shape to an Aliante although firmer in feel. 'Nack' in Prologo-speak means carbon rails so this saddle is a bit lighter than the Aliante.

bombertodd

by bombertodd

Scratch pro nack is quite a bit narrower than an Aliante.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

According to their respective website specifications, the Aliante Carbon is 142mm wide, the Prologo Scratch PRO NACK is 143mm.

Personally, I ride the 'Scratch NACK' but that's stated as 134m wide comparatively.

ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

by ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

This is going to sound quite drastic, but former Aliante lover (still love it for mtb), now on a Spec. Toupe Pro 143 - not padded nearly the same, yet somehow immensely comfortable. I never had any numbness or felt the need for a cutout, but it is actually more comfortable.

It's going to be tough finding something with the amount of cushion offered in the Aliante at sub 200g methinks

bombertodd

by bombertodd

Maxxevv, the nack rails only come with 134mm. I tried to get a Scratch Pro with nack rails in 143mm and Prologo said it only comes in standard width (134mm).

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

thanks all, I think a carbon railed aliante is worth looking at then, but ain't gonna give me a massive saving.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Oh, I had no idea!

I thought the there was no difference between the Ti and Nack railed versions ! The product page wasn't explicit about it and I thought they meant that they came in 2 widths !

http://www.prologotouch.com/prodotti/sc ... onack.html

HillRPete

by HillRPete

For me it's the other way around, I'd be keen on trying an Aliante Versus for the longest days, coming from a San Marco Aspide. They seem to have a similar profile.

Interestingly, my older unpadded Aspide Composite is more comfortable than my newer regular non-padded non-carbon one. The old one is really flexible when you sit all the way on the back of the saddle, using it on gravel and dirt roads without problems. The newer Aspide Superleggera are very stiff apparently, though, or so I've read. (Rider weight a bit under 75kg fwiw)

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

I'm an Aliante fan, mostly use the Aliante Carbon w/ carbon rails. I have also spent a lot of time on the Prologo Scratch Pro TS (nylon base, Ti rails). There is also the higher-end Prologo Scratch with the kevlar-carbon base and carbon rails, I believe called Scratch Nack. This is different shape and construction than the Scratch Pro. I have used it on 2 rides on a demo bike, it feels a lot like an Aliante and is much softer than the Scratch Pro. I believe it is also lighter, around 185g with the Nack rails.

FWIW, the Aspide and the Aliante are very different feeling saddles. The Aliante is much softer and much more concave front-back. It takes some fine adjusting to find the sweetspot for fore-aft and leveling because of its tendency to hold the rider in one spot.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maxxevv

by maxxevv

I have and am using the Sratch Nack, its a fairly decent 164g on my scales. ( Prologo claimed weight is 158g)

I wouldn't say its 'softer' than the Scratch Pro though as the construction ( which is very similar to the Aliante ) are quite different. It just supports the rider differently having tried both.