Xiamen Far Sports Experiences

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

huguest

by huguest

Hello, I have been reading a lot here, thanks to all for the great lot of information! This is my first post... Looking to buy Farsports carbon clinchers and was wondering if anybody has experience (or thoughts) with their 24 mm model. It seems to be a new one, and I could not find anything on it. Otherwise, will probably go with the 38mm. What are the main differences between a 20.5 or 23 mm wide? 23 mm seems to be the preferred width.
Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

syncmaster

by syncmaster

I recently got my Farsports 24mm deep, 23mm wide clinchers and I am using them exclusively as a training wheelset. I like them a lot. they're plenty stiff when sprinting and are a decent weight around 1330g. Finally did a decent ride with them today. About 45 miles with close to 4,000ft of climbing. Descending with them was fine but I need to adjust my brake pads for optimal braking at speed. Not really a comment on the wheels but they're not setup as well as they should be right now. I'll report back when I have a few more hundred miles on them.

huguest

by huguest

syncmaster wrote:they're plenty stiff when sprinting and are a decent weight around 1330g.

Thanks a lot for your post. Did you get the "CN" model? Otherwise, the "CM" are listed at 1170g. Which hubs did you get?

syncmaster

by syncmaster

Yes I got the CN model. These specifically: http://farsports.com/product/detail.php/id-189.html
I went with the beefier model because I was worried about using the superlight 24mm clincher wheelset as an everday wheel. And I also wanted the wide rim.

I believe they are the Bitex Hubs.

mallardducks

by mallardducks

Is kylefoo still around? If you are Kyle, I'd like to exchange some emails regarding an order I'd like to place. Thx, mallardducks

wojchiech

by wojchiech

anybody have experience with farsports' new ceramic black brake pads? i'm guessing it's their version of the SS black prince pads, not entirely sure though. I've been in talks with some sales people at there and they've mentioned their blue brake pad supply has run dry and are recommending these new black ones. If anyone here has ridden them I'm sure any current and potential farsports owners would like to know. :beerchug:

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

I now have 300 miles on the new black ones on my newest set of the 38mmX23mm wheels. The black seem to be softer and stop a little better than the great stopping blue sets. It is hard to really compare exactly since the blue were used on the 2013 wheels which have a smooth brake surface and the blacks are being used on the new 2014 set with a scrim type rougher brake surface.

They both stop great, however the black cost 2x the cost of the blue a whopping $10.00 for a full set of the black.
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

eric

by eric

Thanks. I just ordered some of the new black pads along with a wheel set and will be trying them on my older basalt brake track wheels.

If you want the blue pads Williams lists them for $15/set.

nickf

by nickf

Do the new 2014 clincher wheels make you move the pads down further on the brake track still? Torn between clincher or tubs.

eric

by eric

I run my pads in the normal position on my rims (50mm basalt brake track clinchers and 24mm tubulars).

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

nickf wrote:Do the new 2014 clincher wheels make you move the pads down further on the brake track still? Torn between clincher or tubs.

The wheels have a sticker that helps you align the pads, and yes they are lower than the Bassalt, however the track is wider and everything was actually easier.
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

Lionreza

by Lionreza

Speaking of the brake surface could some one with these wheels tell me if iv set these up right my pads are set around 3 mm from the lip of the wheel if i take them any lower they will be running on the body of the wheel and not the rim

Lionreza

by Lionreza

http://i.imgur.com/3NnmTft.jpg picture of how i have them set at the moment sorry for the shity mobile

Shortsocks

by Shortsocks

So here is a Longer term review for anyone thats interested.
I have the 2014 Bitec Ushaped wide 38mm wheelset.

I now have 6000 miles on on them. After riding in Rain, High winds and several degrees of descents I can post only positive results with these wheels.

The Brake Pad area is fine. Very few if any signs of use. I washed the brake area with soap and water after every three rides. Hand dried. As well, I used a scotch gaurd pad to wipe down and clean the brake surface area. That helped the most with braking. Used soap and water 90% of the time AFTER using the scotch guard. Adjusting is extremely important with these brakes ive learned. Unlike Alum wheels where one can get away with disregarding brake adjustment and Brake pad maintenance, these wheels MUST be maintained. After rides in the rain there is slightly less break quality but its very good for a carbon wheel. BUT YOU MUST, clean the break pads, because of grime being picked up off the ground. Im very sure that if you had some type of small rock chip, metal on the brake pad it could do damage to the wheel.

Also, after removing the tires to install new ones, I noticed no warping at all to the wheels. Inside or out. And frankly I noticed NO truing issues at all too. For reference i weigh 135.6 lbs and am 5'9. So maybe its my weight but I cant be sure. Also, I didnt notice any issues with the rim tape that they put in there also, I was wanting to get some velo plugs but I didnt see a need to at this point.

Ive ridden it in mostly Dallas which is generally flat, but Ive also taken it to Austin and West texas where there are more hills. Found no issues with longer distance descents or anything of that nature. There may be some squealing but no more so than other carbon wheels. Except for newer ENVE wheels which i'm convinced are made from unicorn horn dust because they never seem to squeal and sound dead sexy.

Overall I am extremely satisfied with these wheels and will for sure report if I have any issues so far.
Im about to run out of Brakes though, the blue ones so if anyone is making an order for wheels, let me know and Ill be happy to send you paypal some cash, to order me some on your order. Because the shipping is free for you that way....

Ride safe

brinox

by brinox

How have people previously ordered from Far Sports? I placed an order on their "new" website earlier this week, but never received a confirmation email about it. I only received a welcome email about creating an account on their purchasing site. However, my order shows up as "pending" when checking my order status after logging in, with an order number as well. I did not choose to pay via paypal, which sounds like maybe I should have... There hasn't been any authorizations or temp drafts on my credit card either.

I've also tried contacting both of the Skype names I found on their websites, as well as info@farsports.cn. If anyone has any other means of contacting them directly, I'd appreciate some assistance if possible.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com