Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Getter

by Getter

Emailed Hongfu about those 56mm rims. They said 302 before shipping and Paypal. Build them up with Chris King hubs and CX Ray spokes. Thinking about selling my 404 tubulars. I'll still come out ahead money-wise.

shlammed

by shlammed

would an ebay 38mm carbon tubular wheelset (20h/24h) be strong enough to stand up to me at 185lbs?

They have their ratings on the ebay add, but they say some pretty heavy weights sometimes and it seems unrealistic.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wynkendeword

by wynkendeword

cycloxer: Is there a 'like' button this forum? Super nice. Half the appeal is how sweet those Pro 4s look on there. I see a pair of these (the wheels and the tires) in my near future.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

http://www.ebay.com/sch/carbon-cycle/m. ... 1497.l2654

This is the seller I got one of my rims from. Nearly identical, if not exactly as the HongFu. Need to take the tape measure to it to verify that though.

SergeduTemps

by SergeduTemps

Got mine from carbon-cycle too. Hopefully receive them soon.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk

Mackers

by Mackers

Carbon-cycle is Flybike Sports.
My rims turned up within 4 days.

Still waiting for the spokes I ordered at the same time to arrive from Starbike :)
(actually I am still waiting for them to send the damn DHL tracking number)

cycloxer

by cycloxer

...yeah they look pretty low-pro stealth and for the money, tough to beat. I will post back when I get some miles on them. The rims can definitely handle wider tires, like maybe the new Spec 24's. Those Pro 4 Comp's are fairly narrow for a 23, but they have a very smooth ride due to the nylon casing. They also tend to stretch a bit with some mileage.

tharmor

by tharmor

Mackers wrote:Carbon-cycle is Flybike Sports.

Still waiting for the spokes I ordered at the same time to arrive from Starbike :)

This is news to me. Are you certain?

Nancy at HongFu is insistent that their rims are better quality, and that pictures cannot show the discrepancies in the quality between the two companies. I seriously cannot take her word for it. HongFu is still charging almost $200 more for apparently the same product.

Mackers

by Mackers

I ordered the rims from carbon-cycle through Ebay,
When they arrived all the paperwork (three separate documents) that came with them said Flybike Sports Equipment Co. Ltd.

I am still waiting for the spokes to show up so I can't tell you how they build up yet, but optically they appear flawless with a gorgeous satin finish. Weight was slightly below spec, at 372 and 375 grams vs. 380 grams claimed for 40mm tubulars.

cycloxer

by cycloxer

My invoice was from FlyBike Sports too.

UCI barely legal

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

tharmor wrote:
Mackers wrote:Carbon-cycle is Flybike Sports.

This is news to me. Are you certain?

Nancy at HongFu is insistent that their rims are better quality, and that pictures cannot show the discrepancies in the quality between the two companies. I seriously cannot take her word for it. HongFu is still charging almost $200 more for apparently the same product.

Wouldn't believe a word HongFu says.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Getter wrote:Emailed Hongfu about those 56mm rims. They said 302 before shipping and Paypal. Build them up with Chris King hubs and CX Ray spokes. Thinking about selling my 404 tubulars. I'll still come out ahead money-wise.

This was my thinking/theory as well. I used to have a set of Zipp 303 FC tubulars. I toyed with the idea of just having the rear rebuilt with a good hub and CXRay. Their 188 v8 hub, well, actually anything prior to the 188v9 hub, are all garbage. The radial DS lacing, what a dumb idea. The rear wheel was really pathetic, and they lace them up silly loose, like 90-95 DS. On top of that, they use washers with nipples. Why? Makes me wonder about their carbon layup, strength etc...because from the factory, as I said, only lace them up to 90-95kpf DS and even looser of course on the NDS. Why??? Some think it would be prudent to use washers on all carbon rims, the weight isn't much, and provide additional support so the spokes won't pull through when running higher tension, not a bad thought though.

I thought the same as you, hey, it will be a wash, rebuild the Zipp, or get brand new rims, top of the line hubs/spokes instead, same cost.

The build cost, assuming you pay somebody, is around $1300 for everything once all said and done on the Chinese rim, with really good hubs, like Tune/Alchemy etc...so for two sets, like $2600. Not bad, considering you would pay easily that much alone for a set of Enve rims built up with a good set of hubs/spokes by anybody as well.

But, if you run into any problems like I did, your Chinese rim, which you thought would be about a wash on the total invested between the two ideas, is now out the window.

Trust me on this. I'm $1700 into my 56T HongFu now with Tune hubs. Then I had to rebuild 3 of my wheels, due to the sh&tty job by another place, and a bad rim, and new spokes due to incorrect length by said sh&tty builder also...you get the idea. I had some bad luck.

But, it was all righted by Paypal on the bad rim, and I luckily found a local builder who knows his stuff, and re-did the 3 incorrectly done rims, and now they are tight, and done right, and ride great. Had a bearing go bad after 1000 miles on my Alchemy NDS....swapped both 6901 just for fun and will see how it goes, toyed with the pre-load a bit and skewer, hopefully that will resolve any issues. But it only takes 10 minutes to swap the bearings with correct tools I made/plus a puller...so not a big deal if the crappy Enduro goes out again.

So for about $3K total now invested, I have 2 really good wheelsets built for training/racing, 1405g for the 40mm clinchers, and 1330g for the tubulars.

That is still the cost of 1 set of Enve wheels built with the same hubs you would pay, and you would only have 1 set of wheels, and they wouldn't be any lighter or better IMO, unless what they will try to convince and tell you about their amazing/incredible, unheard of carbon methodologies and materials...yeah right. We can argue these points all day, because empirically speaking, nobody can prove otherwise.

tharmor

by tharmor

Mackers wrote:I ordered the rims from carbon-cycle through Ebay,
When they arrived all the paperwork (three separate documents) that came with them said Flybike Sports Equipment Co. Ltd.

I am still waiting for the spokes to show up so I can't tell you how they build up yet, but optically they appear flawless with a gorgeous satin finish. Weight was slightly below spec, at 372 and 375 grams vs. 380 grams claimed for 40mm tubulars.

Good enough proof for me. Many thanks.

cycloxer

by cycloxer

I just rode 25 miles on my new 30's. Smooth ride. These wheels feel like they are not even on the bike. I'd say they are more invisible than a regular box wheel. The wind can blow at you from any which way and the bike barely budges. This is exactly what I was after. I wanted a set of wheels that feel like they just disappear under you. It was really blustery and windy out today so it was a good test. Other than to put some Krytox in the hub to quiet it down a bit (personal preference as Novatec hubs are somewhat loud) and some really minor touch-up on the truing (and again this is me being OCD), my wheels are nearly flawless. We'll see how these last, but I could buy 4-5 pair of these for the price of a set of carbon Zipps. These work just fine for my needs. They aren't the lightest and they aren't the most aero, but I'd say they are a pretty good bang for the buck.

ryker

by ryker

pushstart wrote:I used Sapim Polyax washers for the U45 disc-brake wheels I recently built.

Thanks for the tip. Got some LB U45 rims in today and I verified that Polyax washers fit. Most washers will not. The rims holes measure 7.6mm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com