Specialized Roubaix Elite (2010) - non-extreme makeover

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

The condition of the bike for the last 3 years (although I usually rode with lighter wheels than the factory ones shown)

This is factory stock, except the seatpost, handlebars, pedals, and cages. Weight as shown (minus bag, bottle, computers)... 21 or 22 lbs (Mavic CXP22 wheels)

More recently, I decided to get a new crankset ($245 eBay, 310 grams reduced).

As shown weight now, 18.1 lbs (8.21 kg).

Now I have the bug. My goal is a sub 17.0 lb bike. Why 17? Why not? Better yet, sub 7.5 KG (16.5 lbs).

Here's a pic taken today. Weight is shown in kg, includes hanger and a bearing I forgot to take out of headset for pic (they total about 40 grams):

I've started my makeover with a good cleaning, and cutting down the fork, to get rid of the stack of spacers on top.
Last edited by BikeAnon on Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Here's the parts rundown, if I reassemble it with parts I have on hand. The wheels/cassette/tires/skewers I have will shave maybe 350 grams off my 18.1 lbs.
The saddle gets me another 75 grams.

{EDIT: I have updated this list as my build has continued}

Frame . . . . . . . . 1400 . . . ..Specialzied Roubaix Expert 2010
Fork . . . . . . . . . .460 . . . . ..Specialzied Roubaix
Hanger . . . . . . . .16.7 . . . . .
Headset . . . . . . . 75 . . . . . ..Cane Creek cap and bearings
seatpost clamp . . 18.6 . . . . .
Seatpost . . . . . . .206 . . . . . Specialzied Fact 27.2 (zertz removed, cut down length)
Seat . . . . . . . . . .180 . . . . . Selle Italia SLR XP
Stem . . . . . . . . . 110 . . . . . Ritchey
Stem hardware . . .16 . . . . . ..
Bar . . . . . . . . . . .252 . . . . . Look carbon fiber
Bartape . . . . . . . .25 . . . . . .
Bottle cages . . . . .60.6 . . . . .cheap carbon fiber
Bottle cg hdwr . . . 5.6 . . . . . .
Cables (total) . . . .156 . . . . . Jagwire Road Pro Kit
Front brake . . . . . 158 . . . . . Shimano Dura Ace (old)
Rear brake . . . . . .157 . . . . . Shimano Dura Ace (old)
Front derailleur . . .88.3 . . . . .SRAM Apex
Rear derailleur . . . 207.3 . . . .SRAM Apex
Crankset . . . . . . . 600 . . . . . FSA K Force Light 50-34T
Bottom Bracket . . .100.5 . . . .FSA MegaExo ceramic
Chainrings . . . . . ..included . . FSA
Chainring bolts . . ..included . .
Chain . . . . . . . . . .259 . . . . . .Shimano Ultegra
Shifters . . . . . . . . 358 . . . . . .SRAM Apex
Cassette . . . . . . . .230 . . . . . .Shimano Ultegra
Front wheel . . . . . .660 . . . . . .Vuelta Corsa Lite
Rear wheel . . . . . ..880 . . . . . .Vuelta Corsa Lite
Inntertubes . . . . . .180 . . . . . .Vittoria Ultralight
Tires . . . . . . . . . ..390 . . . . . .Hutchinson 4ZA Cirrus Pro
Skewers . . . . . . . ..41 . . . . . . .Planet X
Pedals . . . . . . . . . 250 . . . . . .Ritchey WCS Peloton
computer . . . . . . . 32 . . . . . ...Serfas

EDIT: updated info 3/25/14
Last edited by BikeAnon on Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:44 pm, edited 11 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

The cables and bar tape are getting replaced during the rebuild, so there's weight to be saved there. Maybe 30 grams in tape.

I don't know what to do about the cables. I read about iLink and Nokons here, and wonder if it's worth the cost/effort. Normally I'd just put a set of Jagwire road cables on, for about $35.

Any tips for some low-hanging weight-reducing fruit are appreciated.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

I mocked up the build tonight. Slapped on all the parts, minus chain, bartape, and pedals.

15.6 lbs.

Plus the 545 grams for the missing parts, I should come in at 16.8 lbs. That meets the sub-17 goal (including bottle cages and computer).

I've been running some numbers, and aside from the seatpost.... Losing more weight from where I am now starts to really add up (as you all know! :? ).

EDIT: I traded in a stem from my other bike, dropped 50 grams. I pieced everything together, I'm at 16.8 pounds, including cages.

RimClencher

by RimClencher

Some relatively cheap changes:

Planet X CNC brakes are 200 g for the set compared to 315 g for your current pair.

A Kalloy Uno stem will be around 102 g compared to 161 g for your current stem.

There are cheap CF bottle cages that are 15 g each, compared to 30 g each for your current ones.

Continental Supersonic tubes are around 50 g each, or panaracer R'Air tubes are around 65 g each compared to your current 90 g each.

CF saddle around 100 g compared to 180 g for your current one.

eXotic Carbon TItanium seatpost around 146 g compared to 240 g for your current one. (Edit: you will need a 300 mm or maybe 350 mm length post instead of the 250 mm one I linked to)

In total that's 115 + 59 + 30 + 80 + 80 + 94 = 458 g saved for relatively little money.

How much do your pump and spare tube weigh? SKS Sub 40 pump at 39 g. Replace the spare tube with a light one. Ditch the saddle bag. For a single-day ride everything should fit in your pockets or you are probably carrying too much. Or find a lighter way to carry some items like tieing the spare inner tube to your seat.

Edit: You can easily find a seatpost clamp that is pretty cheap for under 10 g, saving another 9 g. By this point it might be a good idea to get yourself a torque wrench to be sure you are attaching your weight weenie parts right. Then maybe think of replacing bolts with titanium (about half the weight of steel) or aluminum (about half the weight of titanium).

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

RimClencher, thanks very much for taking the time to look all of that over.

Knocking off a full pound wasn't even something I was thinking to do. I will check out all your suggestions.

Providing the links is very much appreciated.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Another option for a light seatpost at a decent price if the Woodman Carbo El. It's around $140 and the weight is around 125g. Also, for cables check out the Aican Bungarus. Lightest system with a steel cable. You can also save a bunch of weight by upgrade to Sram Force or Red. And you can definitely find a seatpost clamp that's half the weight of yours.

RimClencher

by RimClencher

Haven't seen that post before. My only worry with it, like the Omni one, is that if you have CF rails on the saddle then the contact point with the seatpost cradle looks like it might harm the CF rails. The eXotic post I linked to uses a CF cradle that should be fine with CR rails.

Or a CF cradle can be bought separately here or here.

For all suggestions it's a good idea to check ebay, amazon, and wherever else you can think of for the cheapest source.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Thanks, guys. I did a bit of work on my seatpost. I removed the "Zertz" insert (16 gr), and cut the length down. New weight = 206gr (down 34 from stock). (I updated my list above)

Still not super-light. I do need a 27.2 x 300 with an offset of 20 mm. The ones I'm finding that meet that description are coming in at 180-195 grams.

drainyoo , for cables, I decided to stick with the Jagwire Road Pro complete kit. I've learned a lot about the link-type sets from this site, and I like the idea, but couldn't justify the cost. If I were doing a full-out weenie-bike, I'd definitely use links.

I have ordered a pair of the Continental Supersonic tubes. $34 to save 80 grams in rotational-weight is a really good deal.

I wish I had known about that 39gram pump. I just bought an 80 gram one. I conceded the weight to have a flexible line on the pump-head. I think I could have been convinced to give up that feature, to get 39 grams (at nearly half the price of the one I bought).

I also found that if I remove the stickers from the Vuelta Corsa Lite wheels, it shaves off almost 8 grams per wheel.

Right now, the built-bike-mock-up is 16.6 lbs, using my old cables and bar tape. With the new tubes, and the new cables... we're going under 7.5 kg.

I'm now officially bit by the bug. I can see sub-16 lbs is possible, without throwing an insane amount of $ at it. Still, all the weight-savings I'm looking at are over $1 per gram saved.

As for going to Force/Red... I've looked into that. The cost-per-gram-saved is outrageous**. I will take that route only if parts need to be replaced (or I get a good deal on shifters, because the better quality can help justify the price).

**Example: on this 10 pound bike, the total for shifters/derailleurs is only 106 grams lighter than my bottom-of-the-line Apex.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Here's the current state of my "blackout" build. The desire to do a blackout came after I put on the set of FSA cranks. The color scheme on them was too much.

I found "3M 680 C" tape. Black by day, reflects bright-white in artificial light. Automotive-exterior quality. Claims to be removable with no residue for up to seven years.

The stem is a Ritchey WCS now. I sprayed it with BBQ grille paint, and baked it at 200* for an hour. This stuff is as good as you can get for aluminum, without going to a high-end coating of some sort. Matte-black, logo-free, matches my scheme, and free (because I had some leftover from a grille I painted years ago).

Still in progress, awaiting cables and bartape:

-----

All the tape has added about 15 grams (oh noes). The strips covering up the wheel serial and model stickers are super-visible when moving.

The added weight is actually a wash, as I've popped the "Roubaix" logos out of the Zertz inserts, and I'm replacing them with 3M tape.
Last edited by BikeAnon on Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Updated pics and weights. Total weight 16.5 lbs. I've hit my goal.

Bartape & plugs, 24 grams.
Cableset (total) 156 grams

--with flash--

Still waiting to arrive:
Saddle (will save 75 grams)
Tubes (80 grams saved)
Headset cap (??? saved)
Bottle cages (30 grams saved)

This will get me so close to 16 lbs, I will be tempted to go sub-16 at some point.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

The saddle has arrived, and is installed.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Brand-Ne ... 38678.html

I've gotten the position pretty well dialed in. Only 4 hours on the saddle, with the longest ride being 80 minutes. These are all done on the rollers, so no road miles yet.

So far I'm surprised that the transition to this saddle has been so easy. I've been on the Fizik Airone for 8-9 years. With my computer installed, and everything taped (reflective and bar) I'm still at 16.5 lbs.

My Continental Supersonic tubes have arrived. They'll go on later in the season (or as a remedy to my next flat!). For now one will just go to lighten up my seatbag.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

190 miles on the carbon fiber saddle. No comfort problems, but I have yet to ride in summer shorts. Longest ride now 2:40 40+ miles.

The 3M tape is holding up well on the cranks. I've had a couple of rides with my neoprene booties, that rub against the arms with every turn.

Updated pic (with training wheels back on.)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com