$1,000 to spend on a race frame <1,000g - suggestions?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Marin

by Marin

My ICAN version was 895g for a 56. For a few more details see my (yet incomplete) build thread.

FlemishCompact

by FlemishCompact

Here's my buddy's FM066 build with Campy on Reynolds tubulars

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

syncmaster

by syncmaster

Wow. That looks absolutely fantastic. What size frame is that?

FlemishCompact

by FlemishCompact

FM066 sir

syncmaster

by syncmaster

Thanks, I actually asked what SIZE is it. It looks like a 52cm?

Wcl4

by Wcl4

I just picked up a 2012 BH ultra light for $900, so you definitely have options.

CharlieOsRide

by CharlieOsRide

Look on Ebay. I have ridden Chinese no name imports for the last 4 seasons. Picked up a SuperSix for under a grand new unused. It isn't the HiMod, but let me tell you. Night and day over the Chinese blanks I have ridden. HongFu, GoTobike, Neo, and SynergySports all pale in comparison to the name brand carbon frames. The Chinese no names use fewer layers of carbon, lower quality resins and aren't as concerned with finished quality. Don't fool yourself that you are getting a "blank" frame that is the same as the name brands. They are far from it. All the good reviews are from people who want to justify their choice in buying a lower grade frame. I have had many friends buy Chinese blanks only to go back to name brand the next season. Also, if you want to race USCF licensed races, you may end up with an official who doesn't let you race your "blank" frame. They are requiring branded frames in a lot of sanctioned events now. Why? Because these so called no name bargains aren't really tested like the name brands are.
My advice, watch ebay all the time, look on line at name brand close outs like from Competitive Cyclist, or Backcountry.com.
Friends don't let friends ride junk.

glepore

by glepore

Those "officials" are idiots-if in fact they even exist. People have been riding homebrew brazed or whatever frames for years. No USCF rule prohibits a frame of any manufacture.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

aaric

by aaric

https://s3.amazonaws.com/USACWeb/forms/ ... apter1.pdf

1I1(e) Bicycles must meet current UCI technical regulations at events that select 17-18, U23 and elite riders for international competition or national teams. All bicycles used in National Championships (for age 17 and older riders) and NRC races must comply with the current UCI regulations.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Ha!

eric

by eric

The UCI approval process has nothing to do with performance or safety testing. It only ensures the frame meets the UCI rules for geometry and tube shape. The frames get a sticker so commisars don't have to measure them at races.

Many open mold frames are also sold as branded frames at a 3-4x price increase. That logo painted on makes them so much better!

aaric

by aaric

Granted, the approval process doesn't have to do with anything performance wise, but an unbranded frame won't have the UCI sticker, and hence would be illegal, much like wheels.

The issue with an unbranded frame is that you don't have the brand backing it: You are making the assumption that it is safe. Personally, I think that the major open mold frames are pretty safe and reliable, but there's no way to distinguish them from a cheap knockoff that might have serious issues.

glepore

by glepore

You don't need the sticker for frames, it just avoids measurement. Wheels have a different reg, you do need the approval for wheel at UCI events.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

eric

by eric

The Chinese trading houses like FarSports, HongFu etc have a reputation to uphold, exactly the same as Cervelo or Specialized do.
In this internet age any of them can have damage to their reputation from selling poorly made products, as people will post about it. There's nothing about painting a logo on a frame that changes that.

n808

by n808

Scott Addict seems a great choice for the weight. I missed out on a new Scott Addict R1 by not bidding fast enough (58cm). It went for much less than $1000. Hopefully something else will show up.
(2012/2014) Scott Addict R1, SRAM Red 6.6kg | 2012 Scott Scale Pro, SRAM X0, 9.4kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com