XACD Ti frames experience

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Phill P

by Phill P

I'm looking at trying my first Ti custom made frame.

I've known about XACD for some time, but don't really know if their low prices are representative of their quality.

Who has had one that can comment?
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eflayer

by eflayer

I am not proud to say I have owned more than 30 bikes in the last 15 years or so. Now, I must also say that I usually need to shop on a tight budget. I also like to try to separate the incredible amount of hype there tends to be in the bike world. Here in the US you hear about all of our wonderful boutique custom frame builders. I love them and they build gorgeous bikes...but I choose not to afford their artistry. Also a lot mythology about US tubes vs. Chinese/Russian plumbing pipes???

I decided to take the chance, mostly assuming the hype and high prices here were BS. I considered going direct to XACD, but if you research on the internet, there are a ton o stories about ineffective communication, not getting exactly what you order, etc. I decided to buy my custom road frame via a US middleman = Davis Carver at Carver Bikes / bikeman.com. Davis knows design, knows ti, and knows XACD. He has his own line of off-the-rack off road bikes, designed by him, and manufactured in China by XACD.

I had a blueprint from a previous custom steel frame. Davis and I used that as a template for my custom Ti road frame. He made some suggestions about tubes for my weight and riding style and sent me a final CAD of what we discussed. Then he worked with XACD to build my frame. 12 weeks, $1400 U.S. dollars to my doorstep.

My favorite bike of all time. Gorgeous welds, exact to specs, nicely brushed finish.

Nothing fancy, just what I ordered, and no regrets.

Much less expensive to go direct to XACD, much more risky.

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

Have ordered a couple of frames from them. The one I had in 2004 was very nice to ride though there were niggly issues (like the frame being full of sand so all the threads needed chasing). A frame for a client I ordered more recently was better in all those little finishing aspects, plus they don't ask questions when you send specs for a 650c road frame that looks more like a BMX than a roadie.

If you know how to specify exactly what you want (and how to review a frame drawing) you can get a solid custom frame that will ride exactly as you expect Ti to (I preferred mine to the Colnago CT1 that preceded it).
I'm pondering a disc roadie... though with a new roadie and track bike in the last month I suspect that would be pushing the tolerance of even my wife (a keen cyclist herself).

Phill P

by Phill P

Thanks guys

I'm going through frame drawings with them. Some of their price mark ups for things like a different drop out $+45usd seem a bit much compared to $595 for a standard option custom frame.

But hell <$1000 full tricked out for a custom Ti frame?!?

I was getting emails on Saturday night which I think is pretty good for communication.
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

FlemishCompact

by FlemishCompact

I'd like to see you follow up with the buying process. I'm in the market for an inexpensive gravel grinder and a Ti frame would be that much sweeter.

whydobearsxplod

by whydobearsxplod

Some intriguing products on their site. Custom ti stems seem fun.

Can't seem to find information on price, geometry, weight, etc. Am I missing something or do you contact them for these things?

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

Phill - I once pointed out to them that paragon dropouts cost less than their upgrade fee. It didn't get me anywhere.

Exploding Bear - contact them.

If you're looking at doing a frame with them you need to know which fork you intend to use so the design can accomodate required headset and use appropriate dimensions/angles. Need to check frame drawing for bottle clearance, cable stop location etc (as well as the obvious checking dimensions). There are fitters who can help you through the process (I offer such a service).

This is the last frame I had done - unfortunately that beefy alphaQ was the only decent quality 650 fork I could find at the time. Ouzo Pro would have been much nicer but couldn't find any NOS.

eflayer

by eflayer

sorry, can't get photos to download.

dvincere

by dvincere

How are the weights on these frames? What tubing specs did you get?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com