Scott Foil 15 Di2 - project 6,5kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Post Reply
FreeZ
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:53 pm

by FreeZ

Hi!

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. However I have been reading for couple years.

I´m very intrested about lightweight road bikes and I have owned Look 585, Fuci Altamira CX 1.0 etc. All of those has been modded.

This Scott Foil is my newest project and I´d like to share with you and get some nice tips for weight savings.

So here is the part list so far:

Frame: Scott Foil 15 size M
Seatpost: Ritchey for Scott Foil
Saddle: Specialized Toupe Pro
Wheels: Fast Forward F2R tubulars with Vittoria Corsa CX tyres
Groupset: Shimano Ultegra Di2 6870
Stem: Ritchey WCS Matrix Carbon
Handlebar: Easton EC90 SLX 3 Equipe
Brake Cables: Shimano Dura-Ace
Bar Tape: basic Fizik tape
Pedals: Shimano Dura-Ace

So my target is below 6.8kgs with pedals and bottle cages. What you think about it? What is most easiest and cheapest part to loose weight from those parts?

Pictures will follow as soon as I build it.
Last edited by FreeZ on Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie


User avatar
Monza36
PowerMeister
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:00 pm

by Monza36

Instead of the ffwd wheels you can use the AX-Lightness Stream Aero55 (1140gr)
the use of PowerCordz, AX-Lightness Morpheus cranckset (375gr)... etc
lots of shaving to be done...
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting."
--Steve McQueen--

FreeZ
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:53 pm

by FreeZ

Monza36 wrote:Instead of the ffwd wheels you can use the AX-Lightness Stream Aero55 (1140gr)
the use of PowerCordz, AX-Lightness Morpheus cranckset (375gr)... etc
lots of shaving to be done...

Claimed weight for FFWD F2R wheelset is sub 1100gr so I think that I can´t any lower with my budget. It seems that cranks are good part to save some weight. How you like Rotor 3D + cranks? They will be in good price / grams range.

User avatar
Monza36
PowerMeister
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:00 pm

by Monza36

rotor 3D+ very nice.... not too expensive...
how about the pedals? speedplay ti of the look keo 2 blade carbon ti?

maybe different brakeset ciamillo zero gravity brakes (front and rear weighs 192 gr)
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting."
--Steve McQueen--

Grill
Posts: 658
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:12 pm
Location: Oop North

by Grill

No point getting the + as the standard Rotor 3d is better for that frame. I have 2 (one on my TT bike) and it's plenty stiff.

User avatar
Quinn039
Posts: 273
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:56 am
Location: Ontario, Canada

by Quinn039

You could save a bit on the tape by going to Lizard Skins DSP 1.8.

FreeZ
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:53 pm

by FreeZ

Just a little update:

Current weight 6.605gr without bar tape, bottle cages and pedals. So with these components total will be sub 7kgs.

FreeZ
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:53 pm

by FreeZ

Little update again..

Still waiting bar tape and bottle cages. They will add 90grams so total weight will be somewhere 6970grams.

Picture of how it looks now.

Current weight 6880grams as in picture.

I´m looking for black S-WORKS Carbon Toupe saddle to match colors and lose some weight.
Attachments
kuva_2.JPG

efeballi
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:50 pm
Location: Body in Milano, mind in Istanbul

by efeballi

Oh, this is the bike that I'm saving for...
You can cut the seatpost, buy carbon handlebars, new cranks(as stated). 50 g from seatpost, 100 g from new bars, 100-150 g from new cranks.
Also you can find an aluminum stem with a better stiffness to weight ratio.
SHUT UP LEGS
2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2013 KTM Strada mod. GOT IT BACK!
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica

FreeZ
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:53 pm

by FreeZ

efeballi wrote:Oh, this is the bike that I'm saving for...
You can cut the seatpost, buy carbon handlebars, new cranks(as stated). 50 g from seatpost, 100 g from new bars, 100-150 g from new cranks.
Also you can find an aluminum stem with a better stiffness to weight ratio.

Thanks. There was mistake in first post, now correct. Handlebar ia EC90 not EA90 so its quite light now.

Does anybody have used Xpedo Thrust 8 Ti - pedals?

EDIT: Previous S-works Carbon Toupe bought. Weighed 107grams.

richiegwy
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:13 am

by richiegwy

FreeZ wrote:Hi!

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. However I have been reading for couple years.

I´m very intrested about lightweight road bikes and I have owned Look 585, Fuci Altamira CX 1.0 etc. All of those has been modded.

This Scott Foil is my newest project and I´d like to share with you and get some nice tips for weight savings.

So here is the part list so far:

Frame: Scott Foil 15 size M
Seatpost: Ritchey for Scott Foil
Saddle: Specialized Toupe Pro
Wheels: Fast Forward F2R tubulars with Vittoria Corsa CX tyres
Groupset: Shimano Ultegra Di2 6870
Stem: Ritchey WCS Matrix Carbon
Handlebar: Easton EC90 SLX 3 Equipe
Brake Cables: Shimano Dura-Ace
Bar Tape: basic Fizik tape
Pedals: Shimano Dura-Ace

So my target is below 6.8kgs with pedals and bottle cages. What you think about it? What is most easiest and cheapest part to loose weight from those parts?

Pictures will follow as soon as I build it.




Freez
I am building up the same scott foil 15 with 6870 di2. I was wondering do you have grommets at the down tube, seat tube and rear stay where the di2 cables come out? Also how do you run your rear brake cable inside the tube? Do you have the outer casing going all the way though the frame to the rear caliper or stopping at the frame and another piece at the exit?

JasperGr
Posts: 246
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:06 am

by JasperGr

Richie,

I have a foil 20 mech frame but I know you can buy the grommets of shimano online. You only need to measure the diameter of the holes.

The brake cable housing stopt at the head tube and through the top tube it runs without the housing.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie


FreeZ
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:53 pm

by FreeZ

richiegwy wrote:
FreeZ wrote:Hi!

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. However I have been reading for couple years.

I´m very intrested about lightweight road bikes and I have owned Look 585, Fuci Altamira CX 1.0 etc. All of those has been modded.

This Scott Foil is my newest project and I´d like to share with you and get some nice tips for weight savings.

So here is the part list so far:

Frame: Scott Foil 15 size M
Seatpost: Ritchey for Scott Foil
Saddle: Specialized Toupe Pro
Wheels: Fast Forward F2R tubulars with Vittoria Corsa CX tyres
Groupset: Shimano Ultegra Di2 6870
Stem: Ritchey WCS Matrix Carbon
Handlebar: Easton EC90 SLX 3 Equipe
Brake Cables: Shimano Dura-Ace
Bar Tape: basic Fizik tape
Pedals: Shimano Dura-Ace

So my target is below 6.8kgs with pedals and bottle cages. What you think about it? What is most easiest and cheapest part to loose weight from those parts?

Pictures will follow as soon as I build it.




Freez
I am building up the same scott foil 15 with 6870 di2. I was wondering do you have grommets at the down tube, seat tube and rear stay where the di2 cables come out? Also how do you run your rear brake cable inside the tube? Do you have the outer casing going all the way though the frame to the rear caliper or stopping at the frame and another piece at the exit?
Hi!
All the frommets came with the groupset and frame. Only the rear der hole is without the grommet. And brake cable goes inside the frame without housing as Jasper said.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post