fondriest P$ carbon frame?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

anyone have one of these.....is it a good frame? weight for a 53cm?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

typing error..........not P$, I mean a P4.......sorry

Superlite

by Superlite

You were right the first time. :lol:

It should be the P$ it cost so friggin much.

Not worth it, you can get a frame just as good or better for much less. Trek, Kestrel, Scott, or Giant are the way to go.

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

yeah...I have a carbon Giant, i just know a guy selling a P4 for $800 and it is almost new.....just was curious about the weight?

Superlite

by Superlite

Not that light, I've weighed one at Colorado Cyclist at 1300g for a 56cm I think. It's a hunk of junk.

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

junk?? wow, the reviews say it is awesome? Is it ugly looking?

Superlite

by Superlite

You haven't seen it? It's really a matter of taste. very strange looking frame, ugly in my opinion. But it's over-priced, and it's heavy. I wouldn't drop $800 on it, save up for something nicer, and lighter.

nicrump

by nicrump

the P4 is the one that colo cyc was dumping for like $1100 last year. its welded alu lugs and is ok but not a "great" frame. made by trigon in taiwan

Superlite

by Superlite

It was crazy, for about 3 months it was $3799 then $1100. Bet those people that bought it at full were pissssssssssssssssssssssed!

Francois_Viviers

by Francois_Viviers

Not sure about this bike but have seen the production line for Fondriest top carbon, and to say that his carbon bikes are crap is a bit harsh, they have a big pricetag, but his production line for carbon is 2nd to none, it looked like a lab that gets cleaned and disinfected every day, to mention that TREK in the same breath is just misguided, as they just bond tubes. The Fondriest top carbon is a pure work of art, I have only ever seen one at a show.

Superlite

by Superlite

The Top carbon and P4 cannot be compared. The Top carbon is in a league of it's own, among the top European manufacturers. The P4 on the other hand was a bunch of hype and for $3799 asking price it is in fact junk.

New fondriest stuff is nice, but still way over priced.

spytech

by spytech

i think superlite's words are harsh and very subjective (one mans junk is anothers treasure). this bike/frame may be overpriced in your own view, but you can not say it is junk. i personally think their are other frames that cost less, but i would not call them junk or superior just because it is overpriced, i would simply say that your not getting a good value for your money, or that you can get a better value by buying xyz brand. i personally think trek's are hunks of junk, but that is my opinion - that they are or not is another point to be made.

your original comment was good, but your follow ups were very subjective and unnecessary

Superlite

by Superlite

and to say that his carbon bikes are crap is a bit harsh

francios, did I say Fondriest was junk, no, I said the P4 is junk. The top carbon framset and others are top notch, but non the less over priced.

Spytech, have you held this frame in your hands? Ridden it? Know people that own it and wish they never saw the thing? I have dude, it is a piece. Harsh ride due to cheap aluminum lugs, poor geometry, and heavy. It's not junk for the price, it's a rip off for the price. It's junk because thats the attribute that best describes the frameset. I know a dude at Colorado Cyclist, and he even told me stocking that frame was one of the biggest mistakes they have made.

I.E, it's junk.

I think this follow up is very necessary since a fellow weight weenie is looknig to buy one, don't want him to end up with a piece that so many others hate. Why do you think it only existed for 3 months, them vanished and imeadiatly liquidated?

spytech

by spytech

i just think their are other ways to lead your fellow WW into another direction. choose your words better. junk and crap are not the words of a college student :roll:

and no i have not had the frame in my hands or ridden one, but the way you describe things, makes you look like you have something against the product, try explaining whats wrong with it first, than just jumping the gun and saying "junk and crap" it would be less subjective.
Last edited by spytech on Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

wow....spytech is putting Superlite in place!