Lightest bike for least money?

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Marin

by Marin

+1 for pics! Great story, too!

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Impressive price, and I agree that the journey is half the fun of building a bike. Definitely areas where you can make it lighter for not much more bucks. For example, a Kalloy Uno 7 90mm Stem with Ti bolts will weight below 90g, and only cost you around $50 total. Have a look at this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=116669

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Starlight

by Starlight

Hi all

On the pricing I've actually spent another 320€ on parts (but chance of a lifetime price, nearly new) so at the moment I'm up to 770€ but Ive got lots of parts to sell from the bike and additions from the purchases. Wheels came with skewers, lock ring, tyres and tubes. Tyres sold for 26€ already, Pedals came with a spare set of keo classics . So once I've sold the 2 surplus lock rings, 2 sets of surplus skewers. Old campag ventos already sold for 95€ still on bids on ebay france plus keo sprint and classic pedals, that should come down by at least 180€ to 590€ for a 6.9kg bike including pedals.

Just as an aside the benefits are not just weight, Old Campag vento front wheel spins for 15 seconds before stopping. New Pro-lite Bracciano front spins for an incredible 5 mins 40 secs before stopping full rotations and then continues seesawing for 2 minutes just down to the weight of the valve. Can't wait to give them a try!

kac

by kac

Have you considered the used bike market? It's possible to get a really fine bike (complete or otherwise) in excellent condition for far less than trying to assemble a new one and maintain a budget.

Marin

by Marin

Even if you could get a used 6.9kg bike for 590€ (which I doubt), building one up is much more fun.

Starlight

by Starlight

Yes the fun is a very important factor and beating the market is very satisfying. I have looked at buying second hand bikes as an alternative but virtually impossible to find something with the same specifications. Starting with lightweight frame and building from there with second hand but mint condition parts at a massive discount is definitely cheapest. I also like having a bike that isn't identikit "off the shelf" or just a.n.other lightweight "because I can afford it" bike. I get more questions about the bike from other cyclists when I'm out than I would with a stock bike that's for sure.

Starlight

by Starlight

OK- just fitted the FSA Carbon Pro cranks, swapped out the FSA 50/34 rings and bolts for SRAM Powerglide plus lightweight red anodised allow bolts and that came in at 520g, 540 with the 15mm isis crank bolts. Replaced my old keo sprint pedals with the xpedo thrust 8 Ti pedals and got a combined crankset/pedals weight of 695g-700g (only 5g increments on the kitchen scales and wavered between the 2?)

The full bike weight, including pedals is now 6.9kg! (weighed with me on the digital bathroom scales and my weight deducted) Think I'll get a digital luggage balance to check with greater accuracy.

Still waiting on delivery of the uniQ ti skewers (42g) and the token 11T campag lock ring (5g). Existing one weigh 130g together, so if the advertised weights are accurate should save another 83g

Hurry up Postie!

shlammed

by shlammed

This thread is what I intend on doing with the Giant frame I just bought to build up.

My spreadsheet is showing 7.2kilos for under a grand (including giant TCR carbon frame and fork) and there are some overestimations in the list because I want a rideable bike -comfort over weight in some spots) even though I could shave some serious weight in some other spots even without tuning.

Starlight

by Starlight

Now complete with the red anodised skewers and cassette lock ring which weighed in at 45g together. Weighed the bike several times and variously got 6.7 and 6.8kg so somewhere between the 2 and in official manufacturers "no pedals" terms equates to a little above 6.6 kg. Could drop it by a further 300g by going Record ti on rear mec, major wheel expense on mavic R-sys wheels and an CNC Alloy cassette but, and a big but at that, for roughly 590€ 300g less would add another 1000€ to that even with clever buying!

Time to add a photo I think!
Attachments
Cinelli starlight 6.75kg.jpg

Marin

by Marin

Wow this looks super nice!

DanW

by DanW

Looks good :thumbup: Don't be surprised though if the weight jumps up significantly when using a decent hanging scale (i.e. not a £5 luggage scale) instead of the current bathroom scales.

The journey and scouring for parts to put together your own custom build within your own constraints is definitely half the attraction of cycling for me. Any time spent off the bike and the obsession gets worse :D Sometimes it is easy to wish for unlimited money in putting a build together but it is far more satisfying to see how far you can push the boundaries within your own budget.

I'm guessing that the builds mentioned are using secondhand parts? For me, riding MTB, having a warranty and knowing someone hasn't ragged the hell out of a WW part features in my constraints. Trying to build light and cheap from new parts is a whole other challenge! Best I've managed is sub 8kg full sus MTB for £2000, which although is a lot of money is a damn light bike with all new parts for such a bike.

The beauty of all of this is that everyone's goals and restrictions can be different but is equally rewarding :D The only downside (as you've already mentioned) is you soon realise dropping just a few more g's gets very expensive very quickly and a budget can go right out of the window!

Starlight

by Starlight

Hi - Yes I agree using second hand parts carries a risk but by very careful search and selection you can find virtually new, pristine parts for a fraction of the price. For example the Stronglight Twister Ti ISIS BB was €160 from a bike shop but found a brand new one, never fitted, for sale on Troc Velo for €26. Asked him why so cheap and he said because it was italian thread and it was hard to sell. Carbon pro cranks - completely mint condition for £70, again not high demand because not many road bikes running ISIS hence fewer bidders on ebay. Pro-lite wheels £140 with only 500km on them, absolutely mint condition, hardly run in yet. Sold because they were Campag and the seller had switched to Shimano, Less people running Campag. Centaur carbon shifters and rear mec bought off a friend, totally meticulous by nature, as new condition €80.

In most cases I've then sold the old pieces for nearly as much as I paid for the upgrade parts. So, by choosing lesser known but quality parts or less common bike specs you can keep the price way down. Final example Xpedo Thrust ti pedals - hardly known in cycling circles, lighter than Look Keo Carbon ti blades, made by Wellgo so solid reputation for quality, Trying hard to break the stranglehold of Look, Time etc on the road pedal market. Used for 2 rides only, mint condition but bought for half the list price including a second set of Look keo classic pedals, which bizarrely also limits the amount of bidders.

I've worked out that to buy all the parts new would cost over €3600 so to me €590 is well worth it of such a high spec bike. 8)
Attachments
FSA Carbon Pro Cranks.jpg

Starlight

by Starlight

Quick update - managed to pick up a job lot of cassette ring for 50€ on Troc-velo. Included a Tiso alloy cassette and about 1.5 campag cassettes including a record ti 21-23. The seller also threw in a nearly new SRAM PC 1091R hollow pin chain, (latest model)

I've now made up an 11-27 cassette weighing 150g or an 11-30 weighing 225g using a Marchisio 30T ring. Swapped my chain over as although the SRAM and Yaban weigh the same, the SRAM is higher quality in terms of performance and durability.

Boy did I need the 30T ring last week going up Le Grand Colombier!

Currently selling off the excess cassettes and parts on ebay france for around 180€

ihs0yz

by ihs0yz

Great job! You should add the picture of your ride to the first post, looks like good money and a lot of effort put into. Truly admirable :thumbup:

I live in a pretty remote area in already pretty remote Malaysia so I easily spend 30% of the actual cost of my bike on shipping alone, damn. Not to mention the difficulty of sourcing quality used parts!

But I have to admit I follow a totally opposite philosophy... Upgrade ASAP and stop lurking around on the internet and get out the house on the bike! That's probably just me staring at the computer for parts over actually riding :oops:

Starlight

by Starlight

Finally had my Cinelli professionally weighed at Culture Velo in Annecy. So for any doubters out there, it comes in at 6.84kg including pedals or 6.66kn without. Thats under 15lb. Certainly has the be the cheapest lightweight build ever. Apparently lighter than a Cervelo R3 with Campagnolo Super Record.

Have photos of the bike on the scales but can't seem to attach them to the post? Any clues anyone?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com