Sram Red BB30 vs pressfit

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ironman1

by ironman1

Installing for a friend a Sram red BB30 crankset. He had Shimano with the pressfit adaptor cups in the frame. The crankset he brought over (used from E-bay)has the axle attached to the non -drive crankarm, as shown as pressfit on Sram's installation sheet. I installed it with wave washer on non drive side with apprx, 15mm of spacers and no spacer on drive side.. Wave washer 50 % compressed. Question will this work or should I have a spacer on drive side or is this crankset not to be used on a stricktly BB30 setup? Scram installation sheet says no spacer what so ever on drive side of BB30 but that is with the axle attached to drive side arm ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cosmo

by Cosmo

SRAM RED BB30 cranks (any generation-Silver, Black, Yellow, 2012, Red22) do not use any type of large spacer during installation. The older versions without a bearing adjust built in (drive side spindle) might need a small clear shim (supplied with the BB) for minor preload adjustment. Red 2012 and Red 22 have a silver spindle on the non drive side.

BB30 Red Quarq cranks use a spacer (13mm I think) on the drive side. The spindle is on the non drive side and black in color.

If the crank has the spindle on the non drive side then it should have an installed preload adjuster and no wave washer is needed.

Might want to confirm what you actually have.
after 2 drinks I'm a loser, after 3 a star

ironman1

by ironman1

correct the spindle is attached to the non drive side. According to Sram installation page with pressfit adaptor you use the preload adaptor but with regular bb30, you use wave washer and plastic shims for preload. That's my dilemma, I'm not using the adaptor.....frame is bb30 frame and pushed bearings directly into frame. Do I use the preload on the left crankarm that has the spindle or do I use the wave washer ?

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

If it has a preload collar you use the collar. PF30 and BB30 only differ in how the bearings get pressed into the frame, the crank gets set up the same way, it doesn't know the difference.

What is confusing here, and what Cosmo is referring to, is that is this is in fact a Red BB30/PF30 crank you should not need a 15mm spacer on either side, it simply wouldn't work with that.

If it is a S950/Force22/Red Quarq BB30 crank with the long 30mm spindle then the large spacer would go on the driveside.

Do you have a picture of what you are working with?

ironman1

by ironman1

That is what I can't understand also, pressfit and bb30 should be the same except for how bearings sit in frame. (same BB width and diameter ) I'm guessing the approx. 15 mm of spacers on non drive side area about the same thickness as the pre-load collar. Do I just use the pre-load collar on non drive side and torque it up as instructed on pressfit or use wave washer and spacer as instructed on bb30 ?? It seems strange that Sram uses a wave washer for one and preload spacer for the other one when the end result is the same.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cosmo

by Cosmo

Be sure you're looking at the correct manual (for Red cranks it's http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/lMpBPPfMGUV9XV8WnHxUZ9dzWGqGGtxUK4GhJnzXXpI/mtime:1372788151/sites/default/files/techdocs/95-6115-012-000_rev_b_red_cranksets.pdf).

BB30 1-A by what you describe. What you see on the drive side is not a wave washer but a dust shield.

If the crank has a preload adjuster then no wave washer used.
after 2 drinks I'm a loser, after 3 a star