2014 Campagnolo groups?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Has anyone ever tried buying one of Team GBs track frames?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

uraqt

by uraqt

@ Zakalwe

beat me to it : )

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

:D

Anyway, there's a rich history of pro riders on special equipment - Pantani had a endless supply of tweaked Bianchis, some even had bikes made from non sponsors painted to blend in. Where do you draw the line. What if a pro rider wants to ride his favourite saddle that's no longer made, is that illegal now it's no longer available for the public to buy?

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

HammerTime2 wrote:And what if the product is never released (well at least not by x months after the 9 months, where I'm not sure what x is) - will race results be rescinded? What if someone on a podium placer's team uses a component which never gets released, even though the podium placer is not using such a component - is the podium placers' result invalidated, as (s)he may have received benefit from the rider using such a component?

Like the Pinarello Sibilo TT frame from last year? All 2013 wins on Pinarello rescinded? :wink:
I'd guess it's going to be one of the things changed with the UCI rules reboot. It's a non-rule anyhow - technical compliance just needs one item sold to anybody at any price and then you're good. The manufacturer just has to go through the motions.

morrisond

by morrisond

It's official http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/03/10/cam ... -shifting/

Just change the Cage on your exisiting SR, or Record and change the rings and your good to go!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Campagnolo make good kit but they do making too much overlapping equipment. Not sure what they are trying to achieve with this groupset.

neeb

by neeb

It's just a bit of aesthetic diversity. No-one in their right mind is going to buy this if they already have the current Record or Super Record, but if you were looking to buy a SR groupset right now it would be a nice version to have. Same as SRAM's yellow edition of Red, etc.

The other improvements, if they are actually noticeable (the new chainrings at least) are just the latest in Campagnolo's continual minor tweaks that they have been making to the top-end 11sp groupsets since they first came out.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

If I was looking to buy a new super record groupset, I would go with the RS version. It has better graphics, better front shifting than the regular version, same price and it will be limited to 2000 units. Also the cage made from aluminum instead of carbon is the best thing. I've seen my fair share of snapped cages or people complaining that the cage is scratched due to chain rub on the carbon ones. I would not be surprised if all the groupsets in 2015 will have metal cages from now on. Carbon is not a good material for the front derailleur cage. Its sexy, but not durable. Its a headache for Campy on the warranty side.

From what I read in an italian article, Campagnolo tried to make the front shifting similar to the EPS shifting in feel and power.

I also heard that for 2015 centaur groupsets will be discontinued and that there is something new for Chorus. The only 10 speed left will be Veloce.
██

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

I went searching for the Chorus FD cage lastnite and they are all backordered and quite expensive.... I can order a complete Chorus FD from Europe for 2/3 the price they want for the cage only out of the states.. what gives with that!!

corky

by corky

i was really hoping they'd redesign their skeleton brakes..... I find them ugly, but i guess their efforts in the braking dept will focus on discs.....

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Well if centuar is to be dropped that is good as veloce is so good I really don't see the point in centaur. I think the graphics thing is personal taste it did not do much for me at all.

neeb

by neeb

Centaur seems to have been gradually downgraded out of existence - when the 11sp groupsets first came out Centaur was practically a 10sp version of the high-end SR, Record and Chorus. It was ultratorque, ultrashift and with options for carbon levers and cranks. Then Athena was shoehorned in between Centaur and Chorus and Centaur went from being high-mid-end to high-low-end.

uraqt

by uraqt

If I was looking to buy, I would wait. No 100% sure but I think the last time campy did something like this there were major changes the following year?

C

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

tick tock, tick tock... you can wait forever, for what. Campy has always done minor tweaks here and there, running changes... sometimes not even changing the part number, yet it is a new part. Major update was going from 10sp to 11 in 2009. Nothing minor changed in the 10sp just before that. Every year theres been some tweaking. In 2010 they revised a couple things with the 2009 stuff that wasn't quite up to snuff... running changes. In 2011 they revised the chainrings (noticeably improved front shifting). Then they made the compact versions of the rings a bit stiffer after the introduction of EPS. Now they are changing the teeth profile a bit on the rings, and the graphics. Point being, there may or may not be something big coming down the pipe... but I don't think these changes are signaling anythnig. Just a bit of a refresh... keep things selling. I think you see big huge major overhauls and completely new products more in Shimano than Campagnolo.

If I were in the process of a new build, I don't think I'd be waiting for something newer and greater... you'd never finish the build. I quite like the new graphics and even though I'm very happy with the current front shifting, if a few changes in tooth profiles and the steel cage derailleur will make things even better, then I'm all for it.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Perhaps uraqt is referring to the Record "red" shifters which came out in 2008, shortly before 11 speed, were supposedly limited to 600 sets and designed for pro preferences, and which were basically Record shifters, except for an older generation stiffer g spring and some red graphics. So there does seem to be an analogy here. As to whether a major change will shortly follow, as it did previously, let's just say that I'm not privy to Campagnolo's business plans.