New Microshift

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gospastic

by gospastic

Pics are big. Sorry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vdrey

by vdrey

Oooooh. That looks pretty cool...any word on pricing?

vdrey

by vdrey

Here's the first article I've seen about it.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/03/07/tai ... rivetrain/

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

velonista

by velonista

vdrey wrote:Here's the first article I've seen about it.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/03/07/tai ... rivetrain/

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing that, vdrey!

Meh...

Props to microSHIFT for proving that the approach of "reverse-engineering" name brand forerunner's stuff is a smart way of arriving at an alternative, more affordable solution. Why reinvent the wheel, after all?

The main thing that swayed me to choose - instead of the "Big 3" - the two microSHIFT groups that I currently use on two recent custom builds, is the colorful aesthetics microSHIFT offers in their "White" and "Arsis" lines. Their colors match beautifully with the color schemes that appeal to my tastes. Their third-tier "Centos" line (and all the lower-tier lines) has always left me underwhelmed.

I think I now understand the real reason for the "muted response" at Taipei that maxxevv reported in his post above. The visual aesthetic of microSHIFT's Centos 11 speed is yawn-inducing; in my opinion.

Since all the marketing hype out there has failed to convince me that I need 11 speed, I'll stick with either their 10 speed "Arsis" or "White" lines for my next custom build.

vdrey

by vdrey

Im not ready to go 11speed either, but Microshift's FB page said that they will be redesigning their 10 speed line as well...I just might have to pick some of those up and try them out.

Gunjira

by Gunjira

That hopefully means that finally microshafts 10 speed groups will be priced down somewhat and become affordable.

velonista

by velonista

Just a head's up for anybody interested. Spotted a teaser for microSHIFT's cassettes.

vdrey

by vdrey

It seems like Microshift is becoming a fuller competitor to the big 3.

Phill P

by Phill P

The muted response from the media is because they know that any article they write will not get much interest from the public, so they head off to find something they think will generate traffic.

The only innovation offered here is the thumb shifter. But I still say good on microshift for fighting on. They need to find some way to get some OEM sales. Maybe they shold chase the non conventional areas the other OEMs over look. I'm thinking recumbents and trikes etc.
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

totoboa

by totoboa

velonista wrote:
vdrey wrote:Their colors match beautifully with the color schemes that appeal to my tastes. Their third-tier "Centos" line (and all the lower-tier lines) has always left me underwhelmed.

I have been considering Microshift for my budget build for some time. Real budget build. :D Have you actually installed and used the Centos or have you simply gone with the higher tier Arsis for the aesthetics alone ? I am unable to find if the mini groupers are really any different in FUCTIONALITY. Material, color, etc vary but does the operation of the system, does the useability change ? - thanks

velonista

by velonista

totoboa wrote:
velonista wrote:Their colors match beautifully with the color schemes that appeal to my tastes. Their third-tier "Centos" line (and all the lower-tier lines) has always left me underwhelmed.

I have been considering Microshift for my budget build for some time. Real budget build. :D Have you actually installed and used the Centos or have you simply gone with the higher tier Arsis for the aesthetics alone ? I am unable to find if the mini groupers are really any different in FUCTIONALITY. Material, color, etc vary but does the operation of the system, does the useability change ? - thanks

I can't vouch for their Centos line. I only have actual experience with microSHIFT's White mini-group. It's so nice, I bought it twice for two different bikes :) I'm a sucker for nice colors. I'm leaning toward Arsis for my next project more for the wider choices of colors offered in that line than anything else. They don't do the color I want for my next project (sky blue) in the White line anymore. These days you can only get White/Red or White/Black in the White line.

You are probably right about the functionality being the same across the different lines. The most obvious differences between the different lines are the materials, weights, and color options. Maybe the ergonomics on the shifters are better the higher you go up the lines. But I'm only speculating 'cause I can only go by White. Also I suspect the more recent iterations of a particular line would have tweaks that that line's previous year's release won't have.

I don't have any hands-on experience with the Centos line. But this guy does:

martincashman on bikeradar.com forum wrote:Re: microshift vs normal shimano shifters

I upgraded my winter bike from Shimana Sora 8speed to a Microshift Centos 10speed and they work great, my other bikes have Shimano 105 10speed. Whichever shifters you use, they just take getting used to, with Microshift, initially I kept trying to flick the brake lever to change but once I got used to the two levers, they work fine with thick winter gloves. Going back to Shimano 105 now seems awkward and will have to be relearned in Summer.

On performance, Microshift and 105 are almost identical, Microshift rear derailleur is better, bought a 2nd one as a replacement for 105 on one bike. The Microshift front chainring shifter is a bit slower than 105 tho, it must be said that I didn't change over from 8speed chainrings so maybe this is a factor. Front shifting isn't as critical, so this is not a big issue.

Very surprised more bike makers don't fit Microshift on bikes instead of Shimano and spend savings on better wheels.

You can find that post and others on this microSHIFT review compilation.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

My problem with microshift is it is not that cheap. Campagnolo veloce seems to work as well is as light and is cheaper. I assume the same will hold for their 11 speed offerings.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

maxxevv wrote:....Strangely muted response/coverage at the show though....

It's not that strange when you consider the function of their last groups...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com