New Microshift

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

vdrey

by vdrey

I know it isn't very popular around here, but microshift's Facebook page says that they are releasing a new line of shifters at the Taipei cycle show.

Has anyone seen or heard anything?

I can't seem to find any pictures or press releases.

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

velonista

by velonista

vdrey wrote:I know it isn't very popular around here, but microshift's Facebook page says that they are releasing a new line of shifters at the Taipei cycle show.

Has anyone seen or heard anything?

I can't seem to find any pictures or press releases.

Thanks!

I read last year that they've got an electronic shifting offering and cassettes in the works.

vdrey

by vdrey

That is why I am really interested... They might release an affordable electronic group.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

velonista

by velonista

velonista wrote:...
I read last year that they've got an electronic shifting offering and cassettes in the works.

Jerry Lai, VP MicroShift wrote:...The company is offering no timeline for its electronic drivetrain. Lai says an important part of engineering is seeing how things have been done in the past, what is patented, and then to figure out what MicroShift will do to hit Di2 levels of performance. Various Mavic electric drivetrain-equipped bikes, as well as Shimano Di2, are leaning around its R&D lab as its engineers begin carving out their own take on electric shifting...

For those of you unfamiliar with how the bike industry works, what Mr. Lai is describing above is called, "reverse-engineering". It is what engineers do!

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

When a person skims the titles Microshift looks way too much like Microsoft. I was getting worried that they were getting their fingers in here also. Glad that I looked closer :)
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Yes, they released a new 11-speed groupset at Taipei. Strangely muted response/coverage at the show though.

Its like a cross between a SRAM and Campag with a tad hint of old Modolo thumb shifts thrown in.

Has an almost identical thumb and paddle layout to Campag but a 2-stepped thumb shifter.

whydobearsxplod

by whydobearsxplod

Are they routing cables under the bar now?

velonista

by velonista

whydobearsxplod wrote:Are they routing cables under the bar now?

:idea: [HINT]The clue is in the O.P.'s first post...[/HINT] :idea:

whydobearsxplod

by whydobearsxplod

Not sure what you mean velonista. Is the answer on Facebook or something?

velonista

by velonista

whydobearsxplod wrote:Not sure what you mean velonista. Is the answer on Facebook or something?

I would spell it out for you, but you know what they say: Give a man a fish...

Afterall, you did eventually figure out that that was not this years (2014's) bike show; and therefore NOT microSHIFT's 2014 offering. I take it you eventually saw that on the YouTube page for that vid that you posted earlier (and slyly removed :wink:) it says, "Uploaded on 27 Mar 2009". And the one and only comment on that page is from "1 year ago". Right?

So you see? I have faith that given enough time, anybody can figure out for themselves that there is a whole world outside of AOL afterall :wink:

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Actually the more relevant expression is "when in Rome"..
You're new to the forum, Why not take some time to learn the protocol before posting as you just have?

Id like to repeat whydobearsxplod question "why is it apparent from the first post that their new shifter routes under the bars" and perhaps this time you may like to give an answer that is either helpful or factually correct, or even both.
Many thanks

whydobearsxplod

by whydobearsxplod

I assumed I needed a facebook account to see the microshift facebook page, although I probably should have searched anyway since I see now that the page is public: https://www.facebook.com/MicroSHIFTCycling.

From facebook:
"The shifting mechanism is completely redesigned for internal wiring as well as the appearance. We will keep you posted!"

velonista

by velonista

maxxevv wrote:Yes, they released a new 11-speed groupset at Taipei. Strangely muted response/coverage at the show though...

If I'm seeing and hearing what I think I am in that video whydobearsxplod posted (but removed) earlier, then I speculate the response was muted because it looks like microSHIFT cried "WOLF!" back in 2009 with a premature prototype; so people are probably now hesitant to believe it until they see it in the wild. But again I'm just speculating.

Can you tell us maxxevv: Are they still doing the colors they've done in their earlier models?

velonista

by velonista

whydobearsxplod wrote:I assumed I needed a facebook account to see the microshift facebook page...

Like AOL. Right? :wink:

gospastic

by gospastic

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com