Critique my new build?

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

mrsa1

by mrsa1

Building up a new road bike, going for a "big tire(30c-ish) but still fast all-rounder" pretty set on a steel frame, gunnar sport, salsa colossal, all city mr. pink, etc.. even looking at some custom builders. anyway, its not so much the frame i need help on, I'm close to narrowing it down. More just need help with the build.

I would really like to stay pretty weight conscious with this, for a big tire, tough, all arounder, I think its pretty easy to get it too heavy. id really like to be in the 16-18lb range, rather than 20+ keep it fast an sporty feeling. in my experience it seems after 19-20lbs bikes ive ridden start to feel sluggish.

frame aside, ive got about a 2500 budget, could go around 3000 or so if its really worth it. I've been considering sram force and campy chorus, had an older shimano group on my last bike and liked it, but i rode a bike with record a couple years ago, and messed around a bike shop parking lot on a Sram Red group recently, and dont have much of a preference either way but liked both a lot. they both seem close in weight. I'm not looking at shimano half because i want to try something else, and from what my LBS told me they think sram and campy handle dirt and crap better (agree?) plus ultegra seems heavier than the sram/campy equivalent?

planning on a 5 piece group with grand cru long reach calipers, and if i can afford it i could get a better crankset, so Red crankset with the force build, or comp ultra overtorque crankset with chorus(damn expensive though, found one place selling for 600)

will do a decent wheelset to start with just to get on the road, thinking HED belgiums, which will be a great commuter/winter set, and get a lighter go fast wheelset later on when I save up a little more.

thinking thompson masterpiece seatpost, deda zero 100 bar and stem, CK headset, lightweight cables.

Just want to get your guy's opinion, does this seem like a decent, weight concious build?

Crashtest

by Crashtest

Couple opinions:

I have Chorus 11 and love it. Very robust. I also am dying to try Force 22. If going Campy, check ribble/shiny/wiggle for prices. I got a killer deal from shinybikes on my chorus groupset.

As far as dirt-tolerance, hard to say. You've gotta clean everything every so often if you expect it all to work well. I have Veloce on my cross bike and it's been great and trouble-free despite some single-track and snowy abuse. I would assume the chorus would be the same, if a touch more fragile when you lay the bike down. Probably not a concern for your use.

For tires, oh man, fat tires are so swell. Try Grand Bois or Challenge Paris Roubaix. Have yet to try to GB but I love my P-R tubulars. The clinchers are also very good.

For wheels - build yourself and go with 23mm wide rims. H Plus Son Archetypes are great (I've built 3 sets for our household), Kinlin makes a cheaper 23mm rim, or A23 from Velocity (though many friends have had quality issues with recent A23s, surrounding the seam). HED rims are great but pricey. Try bikehubstore for cheap road hubs, in colors.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Some envy here, running 30mm tyres on a standard reach bike with approximately zero clearance to spare. Anyway :thumbup:

Why not use a Deda seatpost too? And you could probably shed a few grams by using RG957 calipers (although i read that the VO would be phenomenal). What cables are you considering? They can cause a night and day difference in braking and shifting. Nice QRs can also make some weight difference.

Keep us posted with your progress!

Marin

by Marin

2500 to 3000 yen or rubles?

mrsa1

by mrsa1

wassertreter wrote:Some envy here, running 30mm tyres on a standard reach bike with approximately zero clearance to spare. Anyway :thumbup:

Why not use a Deda seatpost too? And you could probably shed a few grams by using RG957 calipers (although i read that the VO would be phenomenal). What cables are you considering? They can cause a night and day difference in braking and shifting. Nice QRs can also make some weight difference.

Keep us posted with your progress!

Yeah I guess might as well go Deda seatpost too, ive just always loved (and trusted) thompson stuff, id even consider going thompson stem and bars, but havent heard a whole lot about the bars yet.

for cables im thinking power cordz or aican.

I was browsing around ebay last night, and you can find cannondale hollowgram cranksets, even the sisl2 for decent prices, would probably end up costing similar to a red or record crankset.
they're definitely very light, and from what ive heard stiff too. any reason not to go with them?

mrsa1

by mrsa1

Bumping this again, getting closer to completing the build.. I'm looking at a few carbon bars and stems, it seems people still have trouble trusting carbon, wouldnt say im one of them, but definitely can see where they're coming from, especially when you consider when carbon fails it cracks/splinters and could be very sudden, while AL typically will bend, and probably wont just snap on you.
but then again carbon as a material is much stronger, i remember a video of SantaCruz strength testing their carbon and AL nomad, and the carbon was MUCH stronger. they were swinging the frame like a baseball bat at the corner of a concrete wall and the thing just bounced off it like it was nothing.

this being a very all around, on/offroad, everything from short fast rides to light touring, build, toughness is a pretty big concern. I'd have a ton of trust in carbon bars if strength is a big factor in their design. if its a purely light weight focused bar then id definitely have a hard time trusting it. just dont seem to be any carbon bars out there that come out and say durability is their focus.

anyway, just want to get peoples thoughts on carbon bars.

Slagter

by Slagter

Regarding wheels, I would choose to build my own with parts from Bikehubstore, as mentioned above. Cheap, light and good quality. If it´s a commuter for going around town, I wouldn´t worry to much about 23 mm rims. Just pick the lightest ones from Kinlin, that can carry you. The Kinlin X19 with 24/28 spoke configuration with sapim cx rays are 1.350 grams. Thats what I´m riding, and I´m 82 kg (180 lbs).

Regarding stem, you could consider Uno Kalloy = very cheap and light.

I ride carbon handlebar (3T Ergonova Ltd). And it´s very nice but pricey. I would have been just as satisfied with the alloy version - and maybe even more confident about it when sprinting. Somehow I´m always afraid to brake it because it´s squeaking a lot...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Another Imaginary Bike Thread. Yawn, yawn, yawn.