9070 Di2 or EPS electric

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

^.. I too bleed campy. I still remember salivating on cycling mags for super record.. my first real bike had athena, I was on a budget. My current bike is SR11 mechanical which I like very much. I see all the nice things Di2 has and sometimes it's tempting. I do plan to upgrade the wifes bike to ultegra di2 (she needs the 32T)...and I'll get to play with it then, but yes I'm itching for DA 9070 or EPS V2 myself really bad.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

shillc

by shillc

I am a long time campy adherent.
I have always preferred the thumb shifter and the ability to dump several gears cresting a hill and accelerating.
I have Super Record v1 eps and love it. The shifting is as intuitive as mechanical and the thumb shifter is more ergonomical than mechanical for my hands.
I agree with all the refinements that Shimano has going for it but just having tried 9070 Di2, IMHO it lacks the shifter feel and execution and is very vague in comparison.
For that reason alone, I will continue to put up with the quirks.
The shifting/ braking combination is one of the main requirements that enhance the ride quality between groups.

Having said that, I could ride anything and be happy.
I rode La Marmotte with SRAM red and I was just less happy. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

forza

by forza

Bridgeman wrote:Do either of these systems provide for a car charger interface?

Can speak for Shimano. You just need the BCR2 Charger. It has a USB upstream connector. Just plug it into a standard USB/Lighter/Power Jack.

maverick_1

by maverick_1

Campy EPS V2 completed installation today by LBS, maiden ride in the rain :lol:

Geoff

by Geoff

Seems like lots of guys are running both systems. Me, too. I have a few Di2 systems, but last season I got an EPS system, too. I have to say, it is very nice. I would agree with C50jim that the battery does not seem to last as long as Di2 does. It is not a problem, but it seems that I have to re-charge it every couple of months, unlike Di2, which seems to last forever and ever. I think that the battery checker for EPS is very good. You should have lots of warning, same as Di2.

Based upon my experience, I would say that you will be very happy with either system. It kind of comes down to what you like better yourself. Although I hate to say it, it is almost down to asthetics.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Since the time for a new build is fast approaching, I'm revisiting my study on electric shift systems. My preference is certainly Campy EPS.

Today, I dropped in to one of my favorite shops, as a friend is the top mechanic there. His take on Campy EPS is that it is way overpriced and very difficult and time consuming to set up. His strong recommendation is Di2.

I have a few more sources to consult with so hopefully I'll get the news I'm looking for.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

philipBer

by philipBer

compared ti Di2 it is difficult and time consuming... ;)

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

philipBer

by philipBer

Causidicus wrote:Obviously you have never installed an EPS system. Just read about it, believed what you read and post accordingly.

Then again, for certain types of people anything remotely mechanical is difficult and time consuming.

nice to hear that you now so many things about me.... :roll: :mrgreen:

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

philipBer

by philipBer

Good to see that your have altered your initial post as this was simply rude and nothing else.

For you and for the record; I have already installed both, SR EPS and DA 9070. You like EPS more so do I Di2, fair enough...

You are obviously a Campy fan, Campy need people like you! ;)

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Calm down ladies :roll:

I've install and repaired di2 it works very well and is easy to set up..
But for my bike it'll have to be v2 eps. I'm a die hard campy fan and I don't like the ergonomics of shimano also I have no interest in adorning my bike with fishing gear. At this level it's personal preference
Last edited by sugarkane on Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

solarider

by solarider

Put away that popcorn, and allow me to intervene.

I have now installed EPS 6 times (3 x V1 and 3 x V2 when I changed over once the new battery was available). It really is very easy to install and work with. I have also installed Di2 3 times and it is no easier or more difficult. For sure the V2 battery can be a little difficult to line up with the bottle cage bolts, but it has become easier each time I have done it as I have got used to the process. Apart from the charging port, once installed, the internal EPS battery is actually more secure than Di2.

Set up is equally easy, and maintenance is zero with both systems.

There are now 4 pages of recommendations for Di2 over EPS (including many from diehard Campagnolo fans like myself). The only arguments in favour of EPS seem to be aesthetic, emotional reasons, historical allegiance to the brand, or the ergonomics of the shifters. Fair enough (and I would be lying myself if I didn't admit that this had a part to play in my decision to go for EPS).

But functionally and mechanically, nobody has been able to successfully argue the advantage for EPS.

Surely the thread has now answered the OP's original question? Di2 beats EPS. Yet still he wants EPS. And that's the intangible allure of Campagnolo. You buy it based on your heart as well as your head. It looks great, it has a certain artisan quality and that's why somehow people (including me) still love it.

You just don't hear people talking about Shimano with the same passion that they talk about Campagnolo. For all of the technology and functionality, it must really p**s the Japanese off that their brand just can't command this emotion. Not a criticism (far from it). Just one of the factors in favour of Campagnolo that I just don't think that either Shimano or SRAM can match.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com