Lighter Housing: Aican Bungarus or Powercordz Swift?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Looking to get the lighest setup with KCNC Ti cables, and I'm wondering with housing is lighter. My guess is that they're pretty close in weight, but would like to hear from people who've weighed/use them.

vlastrada

by vlastrada

FWB produced a nice standardized (equal lengths/all bits included) comparison of housing weights, full details here:

http://fairwheelbikes.com/aican-bungarus-brake-housing-cable-kit-p-5282.html

In short:

Brand Shift Brake Total Weight
Swift 34.2g 36.6g 70.8g
Bungarus 38g 40.1g 83.1 g
Alligator 34.9g 55.8g 102 g
Ashima 60.2g 63.5g 131.4 g
Gore UL 39.7g 78.2g 129.7 g
Nokon 66.7g 69.65 149.2 g
Shimano 54.9g 85.4g 147.3 g
Campagnolo 60.1g 85.9g 151.1 g

I am using Alligators mini i-links w kcnc ti cables for shifting and they work well with Campy SR.
Not the lightest, but seems a good lightness/functionality trade-off

For the brakes I have the standard steel alligator cables, which are black and at least look good :) (not keen on adaptors required to make the same brake cables work with campy/shimaNo/sram)
Last edited by vlastrada on Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Yeah, I saw that, but those are weights for the entire system including cables. I'm looking for weights just for the housing and liner.

vlastrada

by vlastrada

ah i see, i would have thought the weights of the cables themselves are pretty close across brands, but yhea there could be some differences...

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

I believe the KCNC Ti cables with Aican housings would be the lightest.

Wcl4

by Wcl4

I've had the Aican and ilinks, and I personally prefer the ilinks. The Aican feel a bit flimsy to me and squeaked which was the deal breaker (can lube them to keep them quiet, but that's annoying too).

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

I installed a set of iLinks today (5mm brake) on my 56cm Supersix. Total weight for everything came in at 58g - housing, liners, frame protectors, and cable stops. I obviously did not install all the bits (some are MTB specific) and I used donuts rather than the bright (ugly) frame protectors.

When I was done my front brake housing/liner/stops weighed 9g, the rear housing/liner/stops weighed 19g.

Installation was dead easy.

Hope that helps...
Last edited by mellowJohnny on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Thanks, that does give me a ballpark idea. Still wondering about those specific housings.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

audiophilitis wrote:I believe the KCNC Ti cables with Aican housings would be the lightest.

That's my guess as well, but have you weighed them?
Last edited by drainyoo on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Aican and i-link mini are the same weight. But because you can only use the mini for shift, you have to use the full size i-link for brake and that makes the aican/kcnc the lighter kit, if your doing both brake and shift. If your just doing shift, such as on an mtb then both are the same weight.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Thanks! I'm doing both brake and shift, so I guess Aican is my only option then.

Do you happen to know the weight of the Aican/KCNC full setup for both brake and shift?

drainyoo

by drainyoo

My Aican sets arrived today. Here are the weights for anyone interested. These weights are for the full lengths right out of the packaging.

Brake Housing 29g

Shifter Housing 35g

Brake Cable 49g

Shifter Cable 28g

Brake Liner 2g

Shifter Liner 3g

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com