lacing my first wheels, Pacenti SL23

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

vala

by vala

I received my Pacenti SL23's recently to go with my Hope Pro3 hubs and have now got the spokes through.
I'm using Roger Musson's wheel building guide as a reference.

First thing is I've noticed according to Roger's book, this rim is a 'type 2' rim which is, according to him, a lot rarer to come across. This is identified via the following method. With the rim placed flat on a surface and finding the valve hole, the hole to the left of it is offset lower then the one to the right of the valve hole.
This is not as easy to see when looking at the holes from the inside of the rim however is clear to see from the outside.

Can anyone else who has used this confirm this?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Stick something through the rim (passing through the inner and outer holes) and look at the angle. The hole in the rim bed may appear to be on the 'wrong' side but the path of the spoke through to the inner edge probably isn't, if you see what I mean. It's very unlikely to be a type 2.

vala

by vala

Had another look at it and yes your right, it's a type 1. Confirmed by the staff at Fairwheel bikes.
All built up now, dropping them into my LBS to do the final part tomorrow so should have them back by end of play next week ready for the weekend.

Svetty

by Svetty

This has me confused too!

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

Let us know what you think of the SL23 once you log some miles! We've had nothing but positive feedback so I think you'll be throughly satisfied.

Svetty

by Svetty

Unfortunately still waiting on DA front hub - seems the UK is largely sold-out and most decent priced stores are all waiting for next container-load to land. Rear built up pretty true - since posting on the other thread I have tweaked things a bit to get dish almost 100% dead centre. I'm kinda hoping I've got the spoke tension OK as drive side seems a bit tight. Tensions 130 DS, 60 NDS approx with Park tension meter. Can anyone confirm these as being OK?

As an aside, not really thought about rim tape etc. Do Veloplugs work with these rims or would tape be better?

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

@Svetty- 130kgf seems a tad bit high to me. I usually like to aim for 120kgf and max out at 125. Go through and thoroughly stress relieve the rear wheel. Sometimes this can bring that tension down just a hair, all though is sounds like you may need to take a quarter turn off the whole wheel.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

FWIW my Pacentis have a few months of riding on them. 28H 2X rear on BHS hub.

They have stayed absolutely true since I built them

Using the Park tool I'm now getting about 70 NDS and 110 DS. Probably were a little higher when I built them and have settled down.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

ergott

by ergott

Svetty wrote:
As an aside, not really thought about rim tape etc. Do Veloplugs work with these rims or would tape be better?

Use the Pacenti or Stan's rim tape. They are much better than the plugs.

Svetty

by Svetty

@ergott

Tx - will do

Have tried some more stress relieving and truing. Minimal change in overall spoke tension - NDS defo no more than 55-60. How accurate are these meters? Perhaps I should try and get mine calibrated vs a known accurate one. If I slacken all round will the NDS tension be low such that spokes slacken in use and fatigue/fail?

bricky21

by bricky21

Those Park Tensiometers are best used for measuring uniformity. No need to have it calibrated though it's good enough to build good wheels. Back off a bit and get everything uniform and adequately stress relieved. You will know that your tension is not high enough if the wheel does not stay true. It takes experience to get a feel for proper tension.

Svetty

by Svetty

Finally took delivery of front hub this week and got around to built radially with heads out. Easy enough to build true. Tensions around 100, pretty even. Had first ride yesterday and was impressed. The wheels feel responsive and seem to spin up reasonably fast but comfort also impressive.

Only thing I have noticed is that the outer rim at the braking track is definitely slightly 'taller' than my various sets of factory built wheels - both Mavic and Shimano. I first noticed this trying to get the tyres on which was a struggle (never had this before) and then noticed that the pads needed to be adjusted slightly so that they acted against the middle of the braking track rather than at the inner edge. Anyone else noticed this?

StreetR

by StreetR

Looking for Pacenti dealers in Europe .. any ideas guys ?

Svetty

by Svetty

Rode my new wheels a few times now. They ride really well but the spokes on the rear emit a 'tinkling' sound when honking up steep (20%+) hills. Is this OK. I suspect it may be related to where the spokes touch at crosses?

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com