Mavic CXR80, anybody got experience ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RookieB

by RookieB

I know this is weight weenies but im just looking for some user feedback on the New Mavic CXR80 wheelset ?

Ian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Intended uses? How heavy are you?

I run a front in my TT bike and it's great. I rather like it. Team mates rode them on the road last year, had no issues controlling them in some pretty crazy wind. But then, that's also skill set dependent too.

Not super heavy either, given their depth.

RookieB

by RookieB

Im 145 pounds. They'll be on an S-works Venge.
Looking to use them for TT/Flatter rr.

My only reservation is the Tyres

Using Tapatalk

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

You're not required to run Mavic singles. Again, had no issues with mine. Are there more supple tubluar tyres out there? Probably. I can't pertain to being an expert on them.

But the question I thought was the wheels, not the tyres. In which case for your weight and races I think you'll be fine them. They'll also be stiff enough (one team mate even races them up on days going up 20km climbs because he liked the stiffness out of the saddle, through corners). Not as crazy as it sounds, given they're about the same weight at the Cosmic Carbone SLRs I was running...

wingguy

by wingguy

I'd imagine he's talking about this statement from Mavic: "To be used with CX01 Blades (CX01 Blades are not compatible with any other tyre)"

Mavic claim that the Yksion CXRs have sidewall reinforcement to prevent abrasion from the CX01 blades. At least, there's a shiny grey strip on the sidewalls where the blades would sit. Could just be for show, who knows! But anyway, if you believe Mavic and you want to use the CXR80s as they are designed to work then yes, you are required to use Mavic tyres.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

That they not permitted (by the UCI) in road racing notwithstanding, right?

RookieB

by RookieB

I beleive its only pro road racing theyre not allowed. Even still you could use them without the blades & perfectly legal.

Using Tapatalk

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

They are non UCI legal.. so I guess if your local commissaire really wanted to pull the rule book out on you....

I got a pair of last years NON CXR version for $1300!!

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Screw the whole blades thing, how do they ride?

RookieB

by RookieB

Bikes being built today & hopefully ill get a ride on it soon.
It has the front & rear specific tyres so im keen to test them out. Hopefully be using them in a 25 next week.

Using Tapatalk

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

Rode two races on the CXR60 C this weekend and was very very happy with them at speed. Quite heavy wheels but super fast in the gutter.

Did 6 races in the last 3 weeks. 2 on Enve 6.7 Chris King Clincher tubeless, 2 on Fulcrum racing Speed Tubular and 2 on the Mavic CXR60c

Enve are the best all round.
Fulcrum fantastic combo for fast race with hills
Mavic the fastest on flat 30mph/50k stuff

Also the Mavic braking is fantastic. I really like the way it feels. 1st gen of the exalith was a little harsh but it's now better.
Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

wingguy

by wingguy

cwdzoot wrote:Rode two races on the CXR60 C this weekend and was very very happy with them at speed. Quite heavy wheels but super fast in the gutter.

The aero design is similar between the 60's and 80's but the 60C is built completely differently to the 60T or the 80.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

RookieB wrote:I beleive its only pro road racing theyre not allowed. Even still you could use them without the blades & perfectly legal.

You don't want to run these without the blades...

That said, these are a dang nice wheel. Solid feel, very good braking, good stiffness.

They're not particularly good in cross winds, but then nothing this deep is... The mavic profile feels a tiny bit more reactive to cross winds than the firecrest (and host of firecrest shape copies) but it's not a massive difference. Really, if cross winds are a genuine concern, you need to run shallower wheels regardless of brand.

They feel fast... These sit at / hold speed really well.

That speed holding combined with good braking and solid feel are classic Mavic racing and the same traits that made the old school Cosmic's a favorite hammering tool despite the fact that there were lighter things to be had... The CXR's give you the same kind of confidence as the Cosmics... you're just not thinking about your wheels regardless of the conditions on the road... That they do it at a reasonable weight for the depth is just a plus.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Ok ok, I ended up going with the 60T, but it was a pretty tough decision. For me, the use was going to be about 1/3 ITT and 2/3 flatt-ish road races, but the thing about those in my area is that even the flatter ones have a tricky climb or 2 where things split so you weight is always a concern. So for me, the +/- were...

80T- best full blown aero and TT choice but maybe an overkill for most of my racing, +200g over 60T
60C- I already have R-sys SLR tubs so these were really attractive in that it would seriously decrease the amout of pad swapping around going on and also the ease of clinchers, as said above, a bit heavy, +400g over 60T, very marginally slower than the either 60/80T in the tunnel.
60T- ok ok, I'm a tubbie whore, I admit it so the clincher was always fighting against that. Lightest of the bunch. Aero almost exactly the same as the 80T....we have a winner!

more data here...
http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/05/14/fir ... tech-more/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RookieB

by RookieB

Nice 1 !

Yksion Tyres always been good to you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk