9070 Di2 or EPS electric

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

I find these posts extremely disturbing. I guess I haven't been keeping up with my search on EPS. I thought EPS and Di2 were comparable. My friends that have EPS rave about the system.

I don't care for the look of Di2, yet the EPS is dead sexy. These revelations have shattered my dream build!

maverick_1

by maverick_1

Had the same question a month ago, and ended up opting for the Campy EPS v2.

Yes I have to agree that Shimano 9070 Di2 has a very refine shifting, sleeker integration between modules, convenient battery charging points and so on. (Note that the reason Campy couldn't follow the exact battery charging method was due to patent issues)

Notwithstanding, Campy has been testing its electronic components for the past decades or so, and I'm pretty sure Campy wouldn't release the EPS unless it's reliable. Both groups does have its fault or bugs, none is perfect either.

Bottom line is, you can't go wrong with both. I opted for Campy due to better ergonomics especially the levers, direct aka "clunky" feel (typical Campy), higher quality material used on its components, ability to completely shut off its system via the magnet strap hence minimal draining on its battery, and audible buzzer. May not mean that much to some but for me those features are pretty well thought off.

Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maxxevv

by maxxevv

maverick_1 wrote:
Notwithstanding, Campy has been testing its electronic components for the past decades or so, and I'm pretty sure Campy wouldn't release the EPS unless it's reliable.
Cheers

I've not heard much ( if anything at all) about the EPS V2, but two of local bike shops that deal with lots of high-end builds have steadfastly declined builds of the EPS V1 after running into a fair number of issues on the earliest batches.

And also, the way the wire harness was done, if you have a dead battery or faulty circuit board, its plenty of hassle ripping out the entire hardness just to replace the battery/brain of the system for V1. Not something any bikeshop would like to deal with. Not being able to replace the battery on the fly was another cited concern.

I don't know why there was a need for a magnetic switch as a whole for the EPS. :noidea: Even from the initial Di2 7970, the system could be left with the battery connected for months without issue. I once left mine on the shelf for 2.5 months while I was away on job assignment. Came back, batteries were still perfectly functional for a 5 hour outing as I completely forgot about checking for charge in my excitement to get out for a ride.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Do either of these systems provide for a car charger interface?

bugmenot

by bugmenot

For internal battery 9070 Di2 setups, you need the SM-BCR2 charging cable. One end plugs into a (powered) USB socket, the other plugs into the Di2 juction box to charge the battery.

rmerka

by rmerka

9070 and 6870 are charged from a 5V USB cable so yes, on those you would just need a car charger that can connect to USB cable. Like a phone charger (cigarette lighter style) with a female socket for the USB cable.

edit: But I don't know why you'd need to, a charge lasts a looong time.

jimborello

by jimborello

This Shimano DI2 vs Campy EPS discussion is becoming more and more like an Apple vs Samsung comparison in one of those forums for techno geeks....

bugmenot

by bugmenot

VHS vs Betamax would be a better comparison...

cesemo

by cesemo

jimborello wrote:This Shimano DI2 vs Campy EPS discussion is becoming more and more like an Apple vs Samsung comparison in one of those forums for techno geeks....

Campagnolo=Apple. Shimano = Samsung?? a'm I correct??

maverick_1

by maverick_1

Unfortunately some pros have a different opinion it seems.

http://m.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/DMF20130610_00618077

Bottom line, neither system is perfect. Flaws are there and as long as both companies are making an effort to improve it, all is fine. These are part of product development.

On a side note, both 11 speed system will play havoc to shifting accuracy should alignment/derailleur hangers are off.

FlemishCompact

by FlemishCompact

maverick_1 wrote:Unfortunately some pros have a different opinion it seems.

http://m.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/DMF20130610_00618077

Bottom line, neither system is perfect. Flaws are there and as long as both companies are making an effort to improve it, all is fine. These are part of product development.

On a side note, both 11 speed system will play havoc to shifting accuracy should alignment/derailleur hangers are off.

I would venture to say that a bent derailleur hangar would reduce shifting accuracy on just about any system. Luckily, derailleur hangars have only cost me $15 or so to replace.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

bugmenot

by bugmenot

I doubt either of them will bring out an electronic triple, but at least Shimano are at least addressing the needs of recreational/touring riders with a 32T option on the cassette with the Ultegral Di2.

showdown

by showdown

So some criteria:

Weight
Ease of installation
Ease of setup/tuning performance
Flexibility of installation
Modular ability of group
Customization of group operation
Cost

Aesthetics
Ergonomics
*These are separate items as they're totally subjective and ultimately for many, the buck will stop here.

I chose 9070 Di2 for a recent Colnago C59 build coming off SRAM Red on an M10. I have never seen an EPS group and to be frank, it never crossed my mind to choose Campy. I loathe the thumb shifter and the ergonomics just don't fit me. That said, the ability to add remote shifters on Di2, the flexibility to customize the operation of the system through my computer, the stupid-simple installation (so much easier than SRAM Red!) and the ability to conceal the battery were slam dunks for me. Add to that the pricing that I was able to procure and Campy, as storied as it is just couldn't compare.

Ultimately though I think that there are very few folk who are totally neutral... Either you prefer Campy groups or Shimano groups (or SRAM when they finally introduce an electric group ((it's coming sooner that everyone thinks (((here in Chicago we've seen some very refined systems that look production grade)))))) and your decision to go electric will be swayed that way.

I have to say that Di2 has been a revelation and though I vowed to never have an electronic group and thought they were a solution to a problem that didn't exist I'll gladly eat my words as I cannot imagine going back to a mechanical group, ever.

uraqt

by uraqt

Cut me and I bleed campy, I still ride use campy passed down from my dad.

But I have to say Di2, by most every criteria is going to beat EPS. So much so that I all most considered buying it.

That said it's too early in the war and it's going to be interesting when SRAM shows up.

C

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com