Steeper (effective) seat tube angle and climbing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

em3

by em3

Got it...missed that entry. Per others posts, u need to set ur saddle setback first (always ur most important contact point), then make adjustments to match reach and stack. If the two bikes have same TT but diff STA the the reach will b greater on the bike with steeper STA. EM3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

It was the third post... :shock:

I appreciate what ST angle does to reach, only I simply added a longer stem and that had me close enough - so off I went. I ride a lot of bikes and have a good level of flexibility. So long as my saddle height is close I can play with reach quickly and am easily satisfied from there.

That said (and happy to repeat for brevity) - measured difference is 5mm. Not as significant as I expected it to be...relative to how it feels when riding.

KWalker

by KWalker

As I said, if I move my seat forward 5, maybe 10mm, my cadence increases and things feel easier until I really need to torque the pedals. Its why I ride less setback on my mountain bike so I can not be bogged down on the really steep, short hills where I have to sit for traction reasons.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

CharlesM

by CharlesM

different folks will find different things...

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I'm super keen to chat to Markus about this. I've ridden a lot of bikes, this is certainly not what I experience on a lot of them.