Campagnolo Power Meter Choice (Vector or Stages with SISL2)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

9x12man

by 9x12man

I thought I would ask this here, as my research has not thrown up much. I'm in the market for a power meter.

I am running Campy Super Record Mechanical on a Wilier Cento 1SR (BB386EVO). Cranks are SR 11 titanium ultra torque. Pedals are Look Keo.

I have narrowed the possible options to:

1. Garmin Vector (£1,249)
2. Replace crank with Cannondale Hollowgram SISL2 and use a Stages meter (£699 + £629)

The advantage of option 2 is that I can then sell the SR 11 chainset and the total cost becomes much more reasonable.

So my questions are:

- Does the Hollowgram fit a BB386EVO bottom bracket?
- Will the new Cannondale rings work with SR 11 (I have read in several places that it works fine)?
- Is option 2 crazy considering the great chainset I already have?
- If anyone has run a Cannondale Hollowgram on a Super Record 11sp bike, any feedback would be really appreciated?

Thanks for any help guys.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

audiojan

by audiojan

We're using a Quarq SRAM Red 22 with Praxis rings on my wife's Parlee Z5 SLi. That should be a good option.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

DartanianX

by DartanianX

Off the top of my head the Hollowgram cranks won't fit a BB386 BB.

Go Vectors, keeps everything Campagnolo so shifting will still be how you want it to be and the bike will virtually be identical to what it is currently bar the pods hanging off the keo compatible vectors.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

rijndael

by rijndael

9x12man wrote:The advantage of option 2 is ....
And the major (IMO) disadvantage is that it assumes 1 leg power x 2 = 2 leg power, that's not necessarily the case - it's certainly not for me.

I would wait for the Power2Max Type S for Campagnolo:
http://www.power2max.de/europe/en/type- ... star-team/
Last edited by rijndael on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r_mutt

by r_mutt

2 choices- Garmin a Vector and keep your excellent crank and chainrings with perfect shifting, or Quarq Riken/Elsa GXP cranks and Praxis rings and Praxis BB adaptor with almost as good shifting.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

You might run into a few problems with this...

I stand to be corrected, but 386EVO is a long length axled BB30. Unless you can change the axle length on your SiSL, it won't be long enough.

A few crank based power systems have clearance issues on Williers. (See the new powermeter rumour thread).

Stages can be a victim of this too apparently, along with its flawed assumption and reliabilty problems.

I presume the vectors are compatible with your chainset?
Official cafe stop tester

9x12man

by 9x12man

Thanks people.

The SR cranks are around 13mm x 36mm, so the Garmin's should fit fine. There is plenty of chain clearance too.

So I'm guessing the Hollowgrams are a no go. I would probably have regretted getting rid of the SR chainset anyway.

Geoff

by Geoff

I'm sure that you have already considered this, but a used SRM would also do you very nicely, if on a budget. If not, I have had very good results from my Campagnolo SRM. Very nice.

bricky21

by bricky21

Wasn't there an issue with SRM fitting on Willier? Is that now solved?

aerozy

by aerozy

Power2max campy out in May! 1400£ i think it was! Beautiful piece of kit
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

9x12man

by 9x12man

It does seem that a few power meter manufacturers have specifically said that the BB386EVO BB on the Wilier Cento is a problem. Quarq for example (http://www.quarq.com/support/bottom-bracket)

JackDaniels

by JackDaniels

Geoff wrote:I'm sure that you have already considered this, but a used SRM would also do you very nicely, if on a budget. If not, I have had very good results from my Campagnolo SRM. Very nice.

Yeah, you have a cento with super record, you should probably complete the system with an SRM (and full Assos kit).

9x12man

by 9x12man

Err not sure about the SRM and Assos @JackDaniels, but definitely thinking about wearing one of my full pro kits when I'm next out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com