9070 Di2 or EPS electric

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

chickenbourne

by chickenbourne

Never tried EPS but do have mechanical Record on my Merckx and Di2 on my CAAD10. I love Di2 and have no hesitations in recommending it. In fact even though the CAAD10 is only Ultegra 10, it's quickly becoming my bike of choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sastre

by sastre

shimano

if the lever the shape suits if not cable campag not eps they had a second chance and still got it wrong

drilling frames wrong

battery that won't fit in certain size frames wrong

cables and tools to pull cables hassle

magnet keys ?

no satellite shifters

you think of japan you think electronics right shimano oozes quality and style you can do what eps does with 9070 but with superior results go for it you wont be disappointed.
Full steam we go against the odds
Headfirst we go against the grain
Against the odds, against the grain
We go against the odds, against the grain

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Has anyone ordered popcorn?

CrazyErrol

by CrazyErrol

Nope this was a 1st round knockout. The real question is 9070 or 6870 and the rest on wheels?

uraqt

by uraqt

"1st round" NICE!!!!!!

It is really the 1st round in the war for battery shifting. SRAM hasn't even showed up… The big question is who's V3/4/wireless product is going to better, It too bad all three company move to slow.

What if SRAM ships wireless in 2015 then both Di2 and EPS look like rotary dial land lines compared to an iPhone…

C

maxxevv

by maxxevv

It would be interesting to see how reliable wireless shift controls can be.

There are many times when I ride pass high power junction boxes or control panels near traffic lights. The wireless speedometer just goes absolutely nuts. 136km/h standing still at the traffic light and a 179rpm cadence with my feet on the ground.

I'm not sure if I can live with that should these sort of EMF interference play hokey with my gear shifting system though ... especially if I were riding in a tight packed group and everybody's shifting just goes bonkers as they pass that junction point !

I've not seen wireless controls that are capable of 100% interference free function yet. So I shall not hold my breadth for that to happen on bikes any time really soon either ...

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

Yikes max, what brand computer? Never seen that happen with any brand!
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

To me wireless means four batteries instead of one. Having had 7970 and now have 6870 in my road and CX bike there is no way going back.
To me plug and play and add on means more than Italian heritage.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

uraqt

by uraqt

@ TurboKoo

I think you would want to do two or three batteries..

one for the derailleurs in the chain stay and one or two for the shifters. I think we could go with much smaller batteries too, almost everyone is usb charging gamins, lights or powermeters what is two more usb plugins once week/night.... something like 10 to 12 hours would be fine.

Right now I would go with one for the shifters and run a power cable/antenna between the two. : ) But I would be shocked if you couldn't run the shifters on CR2032s. They run ant+ in HR monitors forever : )

C

maxxevv

by maxxevv

2 Cateye's and a Polar as well as 1 Sigma. All suffered the same problem. Just a matter of EMI strength encountered.

JamieL

by JamieL

uraqt wrote:
I would be shocked if you couldn't run the shifters on CR2032s. They run ant+ in HR monitors forever : )

I'm pretty sure this will be the next generation - CR2032s in each shifter and a battery in the chainstay for F/R derailleur - not sure how it will get there though...

dogma85

by dogma85

I would go for Di2, tried both but Japanese just know little bit more about electronics :-)
EPS is fine, but I think that we will get what we need after few seasons of upgrades.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

uraqt wrote:
one for the derailleurs in the chain stay and one or two for the shifters. I think we could go with much smaller batteries too, almost everyone is usb charging gamins, lights or powermeters what is two more usb plugins once week/night.... something like 10 to 12 hours would be fine.

When you design something for the mass market, you need to cover all your bases. That's like 99.999% if possible.

Power to run for 10-12 hrs isn't remotely over 50% of the market.

Most people don't want to charge their system every other time they ride. That's what 10-12 hrs would mean. 2~3 rides maximum. For those all day leisure rides that last 6-8 hours, you're bothering on the 'unsafe' as batteries deteriorate over charge cycles. The smaller the battery, the faster they deteriorate too. For Aldax rides that go into the 400km~1000Km range, it simply won't cut it.

The current Shimano system lasts between 75-100 hours (1500-2000km) minimum per charge with the derailleurs sucking up 90+% of the battery juice. The designed it that way to take into consideration battery deterioration of product life cycle. It would probably drop down to about 1000-1250km range with extended usage.

I don't see how you can convince ( the vast majority of ) people to use your system if it cannot cut 1000km of use on a single charge and without swapping out batteries. :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

I've been thrilled with my Di2 9070 for the past few months since moving from SRAM Red.

It just works, easy to adjust/tweak, rarely charge the thing, battery is super slim, fit right down into the seat tube with some bubble wrap around it. Is it the lightest? Nope, but without a doubt, the best electronic shifting available right now.

I do like the look of the Campy compared to Shimano though. The euros always seem to have the design edge on a lot of things.