Storck Scenero G2 or Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 8.0

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Succisa75

by Succisa75

Hi Everyone,

New here and somewhat new to cycling. Been researching and test riding bikes for the past month or so to try and find the best bike for feel and budget. So far I have come down to two finalists. The Storck Scenero G2 with Ultegra 11 speed and the Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 8.0 with Dura Ace 9000. (Wanted the Ultegra version but the wait time is quite long from Canyon).
The Scenero would be slightly cheaper as I can get it local in Singapore where as the Canyon will be a about 400 USD more due to shipping.

I'm looking for something that is comfortable and handles well especially for longer journeys, but when I want to push it the speed is there.

I tried the Storck with the Soul 3.0 wheel set, and the bike had great handling and comfort but when it came to acceleration it just didn't feel las lively as I have read from other reviews. It took a bit more effort to get it going as compared to other bikes I've tried, and I found myself somewhat winded after the short ride. Is this a characteristic of the model or the wheel set?

With the Canyon there is no way to try but from what the reviews say its everything I'm looking for in a bike and then some.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Go with your gut- canyon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PSM

by PSM

Phu!

This is hard but my heart says Stock but I would probably go with the Canyon.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Get some decent wheels and I think you'll find the Storck will perform a whole lot better.

If after that you still find it to not be the bike you're looking for, either try the Fenomalist ;) or go the Canyon.

ryan0380

by ryan0380

I have a storck fenomalist, super stiff but not uncomfortable. So storck gets a thumbs up from me. I really like canyons too but they are a little bit too popular for me but that is probably a good thing.

Succisa75

by Succisa75

Tinea Pedis wrote:Get some decent wheels and I think you'll find the Storck will perform a whole lot better.

If after that you still find it to not be the bike you're looking for, either try the Fenomalist ;) or go the Canyon.

What wheels would you recommend?

The Fenomalist is a beautiful bike but I'll bust my budget and then some if I got it right now haha.

Succisa75

by Succisa75

ryan0380 wrote:I have a storck fenomalist, super stiff but not uncomfortable. So storck gets a thumbs up from me. I really like canyons too but they are a little bit too popular for me but that is probably a good thing.

I like the stiffness as well and I did find the Scenero quite comfortable the short time I rode it.
The Store manager saw how I rode and said I like to push it and also recommended the Scentron. Price wise that jumps out of my budget range and looks wise it didn't jump out at me.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Can you just go frame only, carry over grouppo? Might leave some room for better wheels too.

I'll get flamed no matter what 'good' wheels I suggest. But knowing Sing and your road surfaces, try something like Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLR (could be had for closeout) or some Enve 45 or even something like some Fulcrum Racing 1 or Zero (unless you're set on having deep section wheels).

All those options will provide an upgrade from the current wheels in it.

Succisa75

by Succisa75

No need to quote above

Thanks Tinea I'll look into those. I would like to try it one more time with a different wheel set before I decide to look elsewhere. The team at the shop are very helpful.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

tinea pedis is right. if you put a set of stiff wheels, like lightweight or mavic ccu, the scenero will ride like a rocket. the storcks do not like ultralight wheels. it makes the storck feels slow.

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Have the bikes you tested been running the same gearing? I find a big difference in 'feel' going from compact to standard rings and of course cassette range will play a role in this as well.

Not anything conclusive but something to consider?

Succisa75

by Succisa75

Thanks Mike. Will take a look at those wheels. The ones I tried were from Soul. http://2013.bikesoul.com/s3-0/

The owner of the Storck concept store asked Markus Storck about what I was feeling on the bike and he recommended me to try the 57. (Tested size 55) The size difference should help according to him.

Fixie82 now that you mention it I'm not sure. I think this could have been a standard one instead of compact hence the expenditure of energy to get it going.

steel515

by steel515

mike wrote: if you put a set of stiff wheels, like lightweight or mavic ccu, the scenero will ride like a rocket. the storcks do not like ultralight wheels. it makes the storck feels slow.

Aren't these 2 wheels very light?

Succisa75

by Succisa75

Just a quick update: tried the 57 Storck Scenero G2 with the same setup and the bike performed much better. They set it up with a standard crank which had something to do with the slow pickup initially. If i get it I requested for a compact. With the same wheels soul 3.0, group set (Ultegra), the weight came in at 7.65 kg which wasn't too bad.

I decided to not go with the Canyon because after really researching and seeing one in the flesh I wanted something a bit different design wise. It's a fantastic bike but not for me at this point

Now this is where it gets difficult, during the past two weeks I had a chance to try the Wilier Cento 1 air and the bike flies plus I really like the design. So now it's between these two really. There are some demo bikes coming in with campy group sets and fulcrum wheels and the price is very attractive. Decisions decisions haha..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

cento1air for sure.