9070 Di2 or EPS electric

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tantra

by tantra

After a couple of rides on rented bikes, I have decided to upgrade to electric. I am currently running D/A 7900 on my Seven bike. I have already replaced the 7900 crankset with a Clavicula. I am running EE brakes, which I also plan to keep. Hence, I will only be replacing the shifters, derailleurs and cassette. I could go either Campy or Shimano at this point without mixing components. I have not seen any direct comparisons between 9070 and EPS. The upgrade prices are similar. I would like to hear informed opinions about which electric system works better and which is lighter. If possible, I will use an internal battery.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

solarider

by solarider

I have used Campagnolo all of my life.

I have 3 bikes with SR EPS.

But the only choice is Dura Ace.

Lighter, better thought out, easier to install, easier to charge (without needing to drill an extra hole in your frame which will be redundant once they realise it is a bad idea!), easier to customise, better availability.

EPS looks nice, and don't get me wrong, it works beautifully. But Dura Ace just has the edge. Although the Clavicula and EEs are nice, the full Dura Ace groupset has reached such a fantastic state of performance and weight that there isn't necessarily a huge advantage to going mix and match any more.

jipperd

by jipperd

Go for Shimano Dura Ace Di2... Hands down, no questions asked.
Like Solarider said, Campagnolo EPS looks nice, but can't keep up with Shimano's Di2 system. It works flawless, and very easy to install.

audiojan

by audiojan

I'll be the odd man out… I would pick SR EPS. So I have no experience with 9070 but I'm certain it's as fantastic as everyone says. Despite of that, I would pick the EPS… I've always ridden Campy (the team I started with as a kid had Campy on our bikes, so it's been over 20 years of Campy… not easy to change) and it really fits me well. I do have 7970 on my tri bike (only because it was already there) and although I don't dislike it, it does feel a bit disconnected (the best way I can describe the feel) and most like I'm not shifting but rather someone is shifting for me.

What is comes down to is a personal choice.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

corky

by corky

EPS - better ergonomics for me, ability to dump the whole cassette with one press of the button. Setup and forget...... lovely

DiscoBoy

by DiscoBoy

corky wrote:, ability to dump the whole cassette with one press of the button. Setup and forget...... lovely

Just like di2...

dgran

by dgran

tantra wrote:After a couple of rides on rented bikes, I have decided to upgrade to electric. I am currently running D/A 7900 on my Seven bike. I have already replaced the 7900 crankset with a Clavicula. I am running EE brakes, which I also plan to keep. Hence, I will only be replacing the shifters, derailleurs and cassette. I could go either Campy or Shimano at this point without mixing components. I have not seen any direct comparisons between 9070 and EPS. The upgrade prices are similar. I would like to hear informed opinions about which electric system works better and which is lighter. If possible, I will use an internal battery.

I would go with Di2 (which I have) for two main reasons:

1) The Campy design to put the brains of the system in the battery is a bad move. Batteries wear out and I can't help but think that in ~5 years if you need a new battery it will be a burdensome replacement cost on Campy vs Shimano. To their credit, they are getting around to doing a batter that fits in the seatpost, so they have closed that gap. I still don't agree with their engineering decision though.

2) I have a Seven that is drilled for Di2, but yours probably isn't so you will need to run some cabling around the outside. Shimano has a new wireless piece for the RD that eliminates some of the external wiring. This speaks to a better future for fewer external wires on Di2.

I have only ridden the Shimano approach. I'm sure EPS is lovely in its own right but I sense that Shimano is more refined and they have nailed it better.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

The wireless 'doo hickey' has nothing to do with shifting. If you are still using wires for your computer data, you're probably not using electric shifting.

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

From my standpoint as a mechanic and a rider, di2 all the way. 9070 is so good, it's crazy. It's easy to work on, way way way more reliable, and super easy to customize. Also, the EPS v2 power unit is kind of lame if you ask me.

I was never sold on electronic for my personal bikes until 9070 (and 6870) came along. EPS still has a long way to go before I feel the same way about it.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

Been a Campy guy my whole life but have to say I think Shimano is putting Campy in difficulty with electronics.

With the new Pioneer powermeter, the camera, the climbing switch and the sprinting switch as well as who knows what they have coming for a cycle computer I think Shimano is VHS and Campy Beta.
Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

i thought i would never say this, but dura ace over campy.

many reasons: the magnet to shut off the campy system is just an extra step you need to do. don't have to do that with dura ace.

the extra hole for charging the frame when using the campy internal battery is a pain. dura ace not needed. just charge from your handlebar location.

the price of the internal eps battery is way too high, but that's because the brain is in the battery. the dura ace one is much cheaper.

performance of di2 is spot on, never have any issues with it. eps, on the other hand, had numerous issues with shifting in the early stages when it first came out.

di2 has UD carbon, which matches the UD carbon of today's frames.

trikobe

by trikobe

Having both di2 and SR EPS, I'd say go di2
I've had the 7090 (removed at the moment). Currently have 9070 di2 on both my bikes as well as SR eps on my evo and have to say by far the di2 is so much simpler to set up and just shifts perfectly from the get go. Wiring is a cinch as well as set up. EPS is harder to work with only because it reminds me of the older 7090 junction box b with the eps battery having wires sticking out all over the place. The connections are thicker and longer and if your frame has narrow chainstays, it may be impossible to get the plugs, once connected, to fit back into the frame. But that's not a deal breaker, just takes a little longer to install. What bugs me is the adjustment set up of the eps. It's so hard to adjust to get perfect shifting. You cant microadjust the derailleurs like you can with di2. You have to rely on eyeballing the upper pulley to be perfectly aligned with the 2nd and 10th cog.. I mean, it seems easy, but even setting up with the chain off, my shifting is still not perfect, compared to di2, even to this day.
But I do have to say the ergonomics of the eps levers are just simply amazing.

c50jim

by c50jim

I have 12 bikes, all Campy, and sold three more in the last year that were also all Campy. Since 1995, I've only bought Campy with one exception. In Italy in 2010, I was unhappy with the rental bike I'd arranged and bought a Dogma Di2. I crashed the bike on the third day and just couldn't get comfortable on it once I was back on the road 10 months later. So, I sold the bike.

I bought a SR EPS bike in 2012 thinking I should go electronic from with the brand I'm familiar with. The bike was fine in 2012, although I really can't say that electronic was any better than mechanical. However, last season, it just didn't seem to hold a charge. I'd charge it, ride it once, leave it a few days and find it dead when I went to ride again. It's been at the dealer since September trying to find out what's wrong and now they're basically saying nothing is wrong. What a joke!

I'll stick with Campy non-electronic but would love to sell the EPS whereas the Di2 bike is still going strong.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

c50 jim, i am assuming that when you left the bike, you turned off the EPS with the magnet, yes?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Just in case mike's comment doesn't resolve the matter:
c50jim, this seems so incredibly obvious, but did anyone try using a new battery and see whether that holds a charge?