Zipp 202 Stiffness and 2014 Hubs?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

James0133

by James0133

Hi I'm new to the forum and was looking for people's opinions on 2014 Zipp 202's with the V9 hubs.

I recently wrecked a set of Fulcrum Zero's in a crash in a crit caused by two guys locking wheels coming into the last corner and taking about 8 riders out. I also broke a collarbone!

I found the Zero's great wheels and I'm tempted to buy another set though in a way it would be nice to try something different for a change. I really like the look of 2014 202 clinchers. Does anyone know how they rate stiffness wise agents 0's? I have a training/commuting bike but the 202's would stay in my race/early morning/weekend bike which does about 8000km to 9000km per year most of which are dry. Would the 202's be as hard wearing as the Zero's for this kind of use?

Any advice or opinions would be great. I need to get wheels ASAP!!

gospastic

by gospastic

I recently got the 202s with the V9 hub. Unfortunately haven't ridden them outside yet due to the weather here. I have some 303s with the V8 hub so I hope to be able to compare them. I haven't really found the 303s lacking in stiffness though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

James0133

by James0133

I'm hearing about a lot of reliability issues with Zipp and I'm thinking Enve 3.4's might be a good option but they are very expensive!!

NealH

by NealH

I'd stick with the Zipps. Better engineered wheels and reliability does not seem to be a problem with the newer wheels. Better braking too.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James0133

by James0133

Well I tried a set of 202's on an Avanti bike.
I'm 74kg and for me there WAY too flexible! I couldn't stop the breaks rubbing when standing.

Looks like ill go the Enve route or Reynalds or just stick with what I know works, Racing Zero's.

steel515

by steel515

[quote="James0133"]Well I tried a set of 202's on an Avanti bike.
I'm 74kg and for me there WAY too flexible! I couldn't stop the breaks rubbing when standing.

What year/version was this- firecrest?

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

NealH wrote:Better engineered wheels

Please elaborate.

If they were better engineered wheels, wouldn't they have a longer warranty?

Zipp = 2 year warranty
Enve = 5 year warranty

rijndael

by rijndael

Zen Cyclery wrote:wouldn't they have a longer warranty?
Not necessarily.

The best warranty is the one you'll never need.

James0133

by James0133

steel515 wrote:
James0133 wrote:Well I tried a set of 202's on an Avanti bike.

They were 2013's so the 14's should be better.
I was playing around with a set of 2014 404's and there still very flexy! I didn't get to ride them cos the hub had been set up wrongly. Should 404's be stiffer then 202's?

I did do a 130km hills ride on some Enve 3.4's on Sunday. Very stiff and great aero, though being blown around on the descents more than I expected from a reasonably shallow wheel. I also thought the ride was a little harsh. I'm being very picky I know but it is a lot of $$!

I'm really keen to try the 2014 202's but hard to get hold of.

Illuminate

by Illuminate

Zen Cyclery wrote:
NealH wrote:Better engineered wheels

Please elaborate.

If they were better engineered wheels, wouldn't they have a longer warranty?

Zipp = 2 year warranty
Enve = 5 year warranty

Hyundai - 5 year warranty. Lamborghini - 3 year warranty (aus) therefore Hyundai > Lamborghini.

:thumbup:

gospastic

by gospastic

I've gotten 2 outdoor rides on mine. They seem nice so far.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

NealH wrote:I'd stick with the Zipps. Better engineered wheels and reliability does not seem to be a problem with the newer wheels. Better braking too.

I'd also like to know where you get this rubbish idea from... Zipp rims are awesome. No questions but the hubs.. Are total rubbish. The eat bearings for breakfast, you can never get the movement out of the rear hub with out over preloading the bearings making the bearings fail even faster and the defiantly are not stiff not by a long shot. Prolly sumthing to do with the radial drive side lacing :noidea:
Race only wheels as they shit them selves to quickly to be used as daily's

The enves are better in the cross winds and have much better warranty including crash replacement....
Ohh and you can lace them to hubs actually worth owning

kdogg32

by kdogg32

James0133 wrote:
steel515 wrote:

They were 2013's so the 14's should be better.
I was playing around with a set of 2014 404's and there still very flexy! I didn't get to ride them cos the hub had been set up wrongly. Should 404's be stiffer then 202's?

I did do a 130km hills ride on some Enve 3.4's on Sunday. Very stiff and great aero, though being blown around on the descents more than I expected from a reasonably shallow wheel. I also thought the ride was a little harsh. I'm being very picky I know but it is a lot of $$!

I'm really keen to try the 2014 202's but hard to get hold of.

404s still very flexy? I'm currently 190 Lbs and run 2013 404 Firecrest Tubulars and they are plenty stiff. I've tried Enve 3.4 tubulars and the Zipp are on par, so I'm not sure how your getting them to flex.

kdogg32

by kdogg32

Looks like ill go the Enve route or Reynalds or just stick with what I know works, Racing Zero's.

I haven't tried the 202s, but Peloton magazine begs to differ with your opinion. :D

http://pelotonmagazine.com/tested/the-a ... -clincher/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com